Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace. We’re disrupting a decades old industry by helping private car owners sell their car for the best possible price through an online platform of car dealers.
Our innovative, online, product-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 200 across 3 locations.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up, build amazing products, and change an industry.
About the role
Motorway is truly a people-first, technology led company.
Do you enjoy working in a flexible, truly agile environment where you are empowered to build the best vehicle selling marketplace in the world? Do you have the desire to contribute, learn and grow, working in a collaborative and supportive environment?
We have regular hack days (currently every 2 months) to encourage and instil a culture of innovation and experimentation, where we sometimes learn from the experiments that don't work more than the things that do.
Our Engineering department is going through a phase of growth, where we have more features to build than people to build them! Most of the work is greenfields work on brand new features, solving some very interesting problems in transforming an industry.
The used car selling experience, both for sellers and dealers, is one that has historically not been online. It’s one of the last few industries that has not been digitally transformed. In 2019, 5% of used car transactions happened online. That’s changing fast, and Motorway is the marketplace that is moving the car industry online.
We’re looking for a Node.js Engineer who is starting their career journey to join our team. You’ll be working daily with a team of around 7 people in an agile squad, part of a wider community of practice in both Engineering and the Back End Guild.
We encourage you to apply, even if you might not meet all the requirements. You’ll be directly reporting to a Technical Lead, who will help mentor and guide you in your career.
What you'll do
- Develop back end technology, launching new features with a focus on optimising performance
- Be the first technical point of contact for maintaining the current platform and services
- Work hand in hand with design and product to collaboratively build work that has excellent UX and quality values - each squad has a dedicated Product Owner and design lead
- Be part of an 8-10 person agile engineering team
- Be part of our flat-structured development team and being involved in the technical and product strategy of the business
- Implementing software development best practices to ensure our code is high quality, well-tested, scalable and secure
- Work across our collection of microservices (node.js with Express and Sequelize) that power our user-facing applications through RESTful APIs