📣 A bit about the role.
You will report into our Procurement & Supply Chain Manager and will work cross-functionally across the whole operation. You will be working alongside an energetic team where your focus is to take full ownership of the Packaging category. Travel will be required on an ad hoc basis to our suppliers, trade shows and our production site based in Doncaster.
🕵🏽 Who we are looking for.
Butternut Box is looking for a Packaging Category Buyer to join our Procurement & Supply Chain Team. In this role, you will be responsible for an International & varied supply base, purchasing across a range of materials.
You’ll play a pivotal role in building our long term packaging strategy, reducing costs, driving our sustainability agenda and bringing new products to launch. This will be a dynamic role which will also flex across our operations, giving the unique opportunity to have a full view of our total supply chain.
You are dynamic, entrepreneurial and a self-starter who works proactively, and is excited about the opportunity to work in a rapidly scaling startup! We’re looking for someone to come in and hit the ground running, bringing fresh ideas and enthusiasm to the current Procurement and Supply Chain team.
Strategy & Supplier Management
- Directly build the Packaging strategy to deliver value & quality & minimise risk
- Identifying and delivering continuous cost improvement opportunities
- Challenge and Manage suppliers to deliver the required standards and measure their performance against agreed objectives, putting in place corrective actions where necessary.
- Manage our continuously growing supplier base, ensuring we have chosen preferred suppliers that we can rely on to enable speed, flexibility, quality & supports us with innovation.
- Working holistically to ensure our packaging costs and sustainability aspirations are in line with our budget and brand goals.
NPD & Sustainability
- Work closely with our suppliers and our Technical teams to maintain an up-to-date knowledge of packaging innovation & sustainability developments.
- Work cross-functionally with Marketing, Proposition, SC, Creative, and Operations to land product launches OTIF. Your interaction across stakeholders will be key to ensure we build packaging that fits the brand and travels well through the supply chain.
- Keep a close eye on future market trends and appetites, attending key trade-shows domestically and internationally.
- Deliver on our sustainability and environmental agenda.
- Work with suppliers to translate concepts into robust, viable commercial packaging solutions
- Using reporting tools and communicate regularly on the progress of projects
👋 A bit about you.
- 3+ years experience working within packaging
- Experience sourcing/developing PA/PE, PE products. Other material sourcing a bonus.
- Someone with a deep, end-to-end understanding of the packaging & printing process, from idea conception to launching a new product to market.
- Packaging technical and regulatory knowledge with a passion for sustainability
- E-commerce packaging experience would be ideal
- Exceptional stakeholder management and alignment abilities
- Organised with a very keen eye for detail
- Flexible with a strong ability to adapt to changing priorities and needs of the business
- Strong communication skills & enjoy problem solving
- Passion for startups, e-commerce and dogs!
🐶 A bit about us.
At Butternut, we put the food back into dog food. We believe dogs deserve to eat the healthiest, most natural and tastiest food with none of the nasties. That’s why we make freshly prepared dog food. Cooked like you would at home. Delivered in perfect portions.
Our goal is to help dogs live healthier, happier and longer lives whilst leaving humans smiling after every interaction. We’ve come a long way since our co-founders (Kev & Dave) hand-delivered the first Butternut Box, we now feed a lot of dogs across the UK - but we want to feed dogs everywhere. And to do this, we need a team of brilliant people who share that ambition to come and work with us.
🙌 A bit about what we offer.
- 25 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays) and an additional day for every year of service
- £500 personal learning & development budget
- Co-working office space
- Butternut Box employee discount
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension with NEST
- Flexible working hours and work from home options
- Friday drinks and monthly team socials
- Lots of office dogs (Apple, Chambo, Willow, Pugwash, Bella, Gizmo, River, Pip and many more….)
❗️A few things to note:
- There is no closing date for this role. However, we normally experience a high volume of applications so if you are interested we suggest applying as soon as possible.
- We aim to respond to all applicants personally. Our recruitment team is small so do bear with us.
- Butternut Box is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- We're not afraid of putting extra weight on candidates from underrepresented groups. We want strong, diverse teams built from different backgrounds, experiences, and identities. We're ready for the ongoing work that goes into building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.
- We are not looking for external agency support with this role.