Data Analyst / Data Scientist – Mendelian Health
Solving diagnosis for rare diseases.
Mendelian Health is a digital health company based in London. Our team of clinicians, data scientists and software engineers are building technologies to accelerate the diagnosis of patients with rare diseases on a national and global scale. Rare diseases (all 7,000 known types combined) affect over 350m people and take on average 5 years to diagnose in clinics.
Accelerating diagnosis of rare diseases is the number 1 priority of the UK government’s 2021 Rare Disease Framework, and Mendelian software is rapidly scaling into the NHS, to the benefit of hundreds of thousands of patients. Mendelian has attracted acclaim from top researchers and clinical doctors in the field.
Who We Are
Mendelian is a round table of physicians and data scientists. We hold weekly sprints to prioritise work at a company level. Technical staff meet practising doctors and medical staff get down and dirty with the code.
We make working in health feel modern. We work flexible hours, go on annual retreats, and boast membership to a great co-working space.
We offer an intellectually stimulating environment, work within an interdisciplinary team and have an inclusive culture. We are a high-calibre, mission-driven team building technology to improve our world.
Our mission is to help doctors diagnose rare disease patients faster.
Faster diagnosis is key to the future of the NHS and healthcare abroad, from improving the lives of chronically sick people to reducing inefficiencies in overburdened hospitals. We are deploying early detection systems for rare diseases, some of the most difficult and protracted diagnoses for doctors to make.
We believe that delayed diagnosis is an information challenge and that technological innovation is central to achieving our mission. Founded by engineers and doctors, we’ve held our technology and clinical mind to high standards from the beginning.
If you want to learn more about our mission, and about how rare diseases aren’t that rare at all, then check out our publication Why we do what we do: https://medium.com/mendelian/mendelian-why-eb1ad54d0c81
Mendelian is scaling rapidly. The company is growing its NHS footprint, has a strong pipeline of commercial deals, and is taking its first steps to expand internationally. This brings with it many opportunities and challenges for Mendelian’s core product - MendelScan - which ingests vast amounts of data to detect patients with rare diseases.
We are seeking a Senior Data Scientist to join the company and inject data expertise to improve our clinical product, commercial offerings and evidence generation.
What You’ll Do
The successful candidate will have a strong background in quantitative data analysis and handling large health data-sets. You will work on projects using OCPRD data, BioBank, or other primary care data sets and prepare data access applications, research question(s) and data analyses plans, data cleaning, data analyses and manuscript/report writing.
In general, you will:
- Design and conduct research on large datasets (both hypothesis-led, and naive querying) in collaboration with cross-functional colleagues and with guidance of external advisors;
- Develop proposals and protocols for independent or collaborative research projects;
- write-up project outputs (project reports, non-technical summaries, peer-reviewed papers) to summarize findings;
- (Desirable) contribute to the expansion of ML and AI at the company.
Specifically, your work will contribute to our efforts in:
- Developing disease detection algorithms, by using techniques to optimise the selection of variables and weighting;
- Discovering biomarkers of disease, by analysing data at a scale possible to draw novel insights;
- Evidencing impact of our clinical product within healthcare systems (clinical efficacy and health economics).
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
This is a key hire for a fast growing health tech startup. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter and well able to function in a fast paced, multi-track startup environment:
- First degree in relevant scientific or health related discipline
- Experience of undertaking secondary data analyses studies using complex, linked datasets (ideally in healthcare)
- Knowledge in quantitative research methods and a strong working knowledge of a range of research techniques and methodologies
- Practical experience in quantitative data analysis including complex analyses
- Skilled in the use of command driven statistical packages e.g. Stata, R or SAS
- Highly developed communication skills to engage effectively with a wide ranging audience
- Experience of handling large, complex datasets in database or statistical applications; undertaking systematic reviews and meta-analyses; analysing large data sets using advanced statistical techniques e.g. multi-level modelling, time to event analyses
- Evidence of dissemination of scholarly work e.g. publications or presentation
- (Desirable) A PhD in a relevant topic area, or be close to submitting your PhD
- (Desirable) knowledge of ML and AI techniques.
- Location: London (Remote during Covid19)
- Starting date: ASAP
- Job type: Full-time
- Meaningful equity package
- Salary £60-80k, depending on experience.
- Visa sponsorship is not available.
- We do not work with recruiters