We are looking for an experienced commercial marketing manager to join our growing team. The commercial division of Sifted is responsible for all Sifted’s products created for, or in partnership, with paying clients. An important part of our commercial remit is ensuring that these products are successfully promoted and reach the right people – and you’ll be the primary person responsible for meeting this goal.
You’ll be reporting to, and mentored by, Sifted’s marketing director, but will work very closely with members of the commercial team, including, but not limited to, our head of events, head of content and commercial partnerships director.
Who we are
Sifted is a new media platform reporting on the world of technology and startups in Europe, backed by the Financial Times. In just over two years we’ve become known for our high-quality journalism and fresh viewpoints — and must-read for many founders, investors and people working in startups across the continent.
Our team of reporters, based across Europe, aren’t chasing after the latest funding announcements or product releases; plenty of other sites have got that covered. We are telling the stories that should be told — big startup trends, compelling company profiles and the everyday lessons that come from growing a business and messing up along the way.
Our commercial products currently include branded content, sponsored newsletters, reports and virtual panels called Sifted Talks, we will also be launching a comprehensive series of in-person events in late 2021 and throughout 2022. We take our commercial work seriously, we’re proud of the work we do and the clients work with.
What will you be doing?
The commercial marketing manager has the exciting opportunity to work across all of our commercial products, figuring out the best way to ensure they meet client – and company – goals in terms of reach, amplification and attendance. You’ll be a true generalist – creating, executing and optimising marketing strategies that will make our commercial products shine.
The role will include:
- Developing a blueprint for each commercial product’s marketing needs
- Optimising each product marketing plan depending on a variety of success factors
- Analysing data to help us learn what works best – and what doesn’t – when it comes to commercial product promotions
- Working with our content writer and head of content to tease out the “best bits” of the stories we produce
- Writing & reviewing promotional copy which appeals to a variety of different segmented audiences and personas
- Working with our designer to create visual assets which draw attention to our reports, events and content
- Owning paid media strategy for the commercial team
Future in-person events
- Work closely with our head of events to create a marketing strategy for our 2022 in-person events to include:
- Commercial marketing; running dedicated campaigns solely for the purpose of generating leads for the sales team to pursue.
- Visitor marketing; running dedicated campaigns to drive registrations and conversions.
- Customer success; creating assets for our sponsors and partners to use when promoting their participation and supporting them to self-promote their involvement.
- Speaker support; providing assets and ensuring our speakers are promoting their participation in their own networks.
- On-site coverage; managing activities to create video and editorial content for use in future campaigns.
- Working with the head of commercial content to maximise the value of event coverage and create comprehensive post-event reports.
- As Sifted is still a young business, you will have significant say in all aspects of developing and executing our marketing and growth function, including defining the tools that we use, and the processes that we implement.
This is a multi-faceted role in a fast paced environment. You should be a committed generalist, who enjoys being pivotal to the success of many products. You’ll need to be comfortable juggling different tasks and enjoy collaborating with a variety of internal stakeholders and comfortable speaking to clients where necessary.
- You’ll understand the unique needs of working in a commercial team within a media brand – the importance of balancing client and internal expectations
- You’ll have had experience of working on event marketing projects
- You are super ambitious, a problem solver by nature and hungry to get things done fast
- You’ll be able to lead and respond to briefs to create integrated approach plans for events and bespoke projects
- You’ll have an eye for what “good” looks like in terms of copy and design, with exceptional attention to detail
- You enjoy bringing order to chaos. Ideally, you’re someone that quickly learns about what works, what doesn’t and what to try next — without being overly rigid about process
- You’ll be highly analytical and driven by the data to quickly understand what our best routes to market are
- You’re a self-starter who is resilient in the face of change, with strong ability to context-shift, learn and drive meaningful results
- You are not afraid of getting stuck in — no job is beneath you
- You love being creative, and constantly testing new ideas
- You are an exceptional communicator
- You’ll be excited to be part of a growing team, and by the potential to be quickly working with a commercial marketing assistant
- You have strong experience in generalist roles, where you have been responsible for owning projects end-to-end including the delivery of multichannel campaigns, and are now looking for a role with more responsibility
Nice to have
- Be passionate about making the European startup world a better place
- An eye for great UX, UI and design as well as marketing
What are we like to work for?
We have a small-company mindset, but big company goals, and can draw on many of the strengths and benefits of a world-respected brand, the Financial Times. We’re friendly, hardworking and passionate about what we do. We have a flat structure, collaborate across disciplines, and everyone has impact across many areas of the business. We value feedback, honesty and clear communication.
What we offer:
- £27 – £37k salary, depending on experience, plus equity
- Shiny new technical equipment – we’re a Mac shop generally, but are open to whatever suits your needs
- £1,000 annual learning budget to spend on technology courses – or anything else that interests you!
- 25 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
- Flexible working hours and the option to work from home some days
- Weekly team lunches (virtual for now) and seemingly endless snacks (when in the office)
- Regular team socials… post-lockdown (eg. pub quizzes, dinners, theatre trips)
- The chance to have an impact across many areas of the business, and to build and be part of a large team over time
London (although we are open to semi-remote applicants — ie. people who could travel in two or three days per week)