🔥 Are you driven by the need for us to do something about the climate emergency?
🚀 Are you keen to make your mark on a fast-growing start-up with large multinational potential?
🥧 Do you enjoy being involved with many different projects spanning a variety of exciting topics?
If you answered yes to the above questions and you’re looking for your next career challenge, then you may just be the one to take on the role of Sustainability Executive at Garçon Wines, the multi award-winning start-up known for innovative, flat wine bottles.
We’ve advanced the wine bottle to make it fit for purpose in a 21st century world, a world battling climate change and increasingly complex global supply chains. Our planet-friendly bottles are uniquely flat to save space and made entirely from recycled PET to save weight and energy. These improvements drastically help slash carbon emissions, which is important given that traditional round, glass bottles are the single largest contributor to wine’s carbon footprint. With successful launches in the UK and Europe, a growing production footprint and customer pipeline in Europe, Australia, USA, and South Africa, we’re poised at the beginning of hockey stick growth.
In this role, you’ll be our sustainability champion, working across multiple areas of the business and leading a range of varied projects to support increased sustainability in our organisation, help develop a pipeline of sustainability innovation, share what we do with as wide an audience as possible, and communicate the company’s sustainability offerings and achievements both internally and externally. Your responsibilities will be structured around three core pillars, with the following demonstrating just a snippet of what you could be doing in the role as no two days are the same:
Safeguarding our future
- Leading innovation projects such as exploring options for different materials, new products, or circular models, following through to commercialisation where necessary
- Maintaining a general awareness of macro factors which could have an impact on our business, such as the Plastic Packaging Tax, and updating the team on a regular basis
- Lead on monitoring and applying for project-based grants, funding and competitions relating to sustainability
Communication and community
- Engaging with academic institutions to carry out research, such as consumer behaviour studies and LCAs
- Be the main port of call for our membership network such as The Porto Protocol, and continue to build this network
- Staying up to date with what other companies within the wine, drinks, and packaging industries are doing to communicate sustainability on their products, compiling reports to share with the team
- Creating new and maintaining existing documents which highlight the sustainability credentials for using our solution
- Connecting with sustainability execs at our customers and prospects to share what we do from a sustainability perspective and to understand how we might be able to help them achieve their sustainability goals
- Researching potential customers’ sustainability goals and finding answers to their questions relating to material, CO2, recyclability etc.
You’ll likely be close to the start of your career, up for a demanding but rewarding role which you can throw yourself into to make a real impact. What you might lack in experience, you’ll make up for with a proven interest in the field of sustainability, with awesome energy and a can-do attitude. We think you’ll need to be the sort of person who identifies with most of these 10 bullets:
- You’re genuinely passionate about creating a sustainable future with a desire to protect our planet
- You’re a self-starter who takes initiative and is confident in their decision making or ready to know where the gaps are and willing to ask for help
- You’re naturally inquisitive about the world and our place in it, keeping yourself up to date and informed with the macro as well as the micro – you’ll know what the levels of atmospheric CO2 are, for instance
- You’re driven to consistently push projects forward, with multiple stakeholders involved, and get things done
- You have a great blend of logical and creative thinking
- You have top-notch organisational skills with an ability to keep on top of, prioritise and juggle different projects which have lots of moving parts
- You thrive on solving meaty problems; ambiguity doesn’t faze you as you always look to overcome challenges through smarter thinking
- Balancing the bigger picture with the granularities comes naturally to you, and you’re capable of connecting the dots between the two
- You love researching and building a high understanding of sometimes complex areas, with the ability to simplify the essence of this information for the wider team or customers
- You’re a natural and engaging communicator, both written and spoken, who has the confidence to lead calls with external parties and enjoys communicating the sustainability of our business and industry to a wider audience
This role is fully office-based in Bloomsbury, London. If you’re interested, please send your CV and a short covering video to Elly Brooker (details on our website) detailing why you’re interested in the role and which of the above bullets resonate most with you. Applications that do not share a video as part of the first step in their application will not be considered.