SENIOR DATA SCIENTIST
Job Title: Senior Data Scientist (either Life Sciences or Financial Services)
Location: Bristol HQ at Engine Shed offices - travel to office 2x per month
ABOUT THE ROLE
If you’re a data scientist excited at the prospect of working with clients delivering at the frontlines of digital health or ethical fintech, nationally and globally – then this is the role for you. You will be providing bespoke analyses and actionable reporting, alongside contributing analytic components to far larger platform products, working in mixed agile teams alongside software engineers and other domain specialists.
The Senior Data Scientist role will be split between:
- Supporting our agile software delivery teams with Data Science and Machine Learning domain expertise
- Mentorship of others deployed in this capacity
- Working to define and build our own smart data software products
- Translating client needs of our existing life-science and fintech projects into data or analytic requirements
- Providing technical sales support through discovery workshops
You will be asked to support upskilling of junior members of staff, contributing to shaping the skills and pathways for professional development within the Data Science function of the company with future potential to join Unai’s line management team community dedicated to providing pastoral care and professional development to our employees, but this will not be an assumed expectation of this role.
WHAT YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR
- All Data Science deliverables within a mixed agile sprint team. Working closely with Lead Software Engineers to build production grade implementations of your algorithms and respond to “data science support” requests.
- Providing study design and code reviews, constructive feedback and guidance to other data scientists and engineers.
- Presenting your ideas and analyses to clients and describing how the data analytics for a given project do or could function.
- Report writing, with a focus on client understanding following analytics engagements, or workshop discovery sessions discussing their challenges.
- On occasion lending a hand to technical pre-sales work and proposal writing, specifically when the description of Data Science techniques is required.
- From time-to-time you will be asked to attend relevant conferences and industry events on behalf of Unai. Engaging in business development activity and networking, as well as keeping your technical vision current with new developments.
- Training of other employees both technical analytic skills, as well as transfer of specialist domain knowledge when relevant to a client project.
- Working closely with our Chief Data Officer and other product owners to research, design and build analytical models and minimal viable products for pre-sales activity and internal products.
- Keeping tech-relevant and up to date in your skills and abilities through our training program.
WHAT WE THINK YOU WILL NEED (SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND BEHAVIOURS)
For this role there is a split expectation of what domain background applicants will have as well as expected future direction: Life Sciences or Financial Services. Unai would be delighted for anyone from either background to apply. If you feel you have technical skills that fall between either role description, but not the domain knowledge of either, this will be considered during application, and we welcome you to apply. You will also be given ample opportunity to cross skill and train between domains.
- An MSc (PhD a bonus) with a relevant mathematical or computational data focus. Or equivalent long term professional experience or industry certification.
- Experience developing high quality analytic software in at least one of the languages from this list in preferred order: Python, R. Other languages where you can demonstrate an ability to rapidly learn a new language are also considered.
- Practical experience conducting robust analyses that follow a structured process: data validation, data exploration, data transformation, data visualisation, model selection, model optimisation, model checking, model evaluation and communicating results.
- The ability to clearly communicate and evangelise about technical subjects - to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- An attention for detail and high standards as regards to the quality of your work, including the mathematical rigour of analysis,production of maintainable code and authoring easily understood reports.
- Either existing experience or a desire to use software best practices such as formal testing of your code, and version control systems (such as Git)
- Either existing experience or a desire to use cloud deployment of analytics and data pipelines
Either with these Life Sciences skills:
- A strong scientific understanding of either of the following or closely related disciplines: Molecular Biology and Genomics, or Clinical Diagnostics, Decision Support, Digital Pathology, or Bio-Pharmaceutical development.
- Practical understanding and professional experience of at least one (assumed to be methods development level), OR several (have used libraries) of the following analytic domains:
- Text Analysis and/or Natural Language Processing (of Clinical records)
- Ontological or Logical Inference (Bio Ontologies)
- Time series analysis (Electronic Health Record patient data, or data from wearables)
- Graph/NetworkAnalytics and Knowledge Graphs (PPI, Gene-Gene, Gene-Drug)
- Variant Analysis (GWAS, PHEWAS etc.)
- Sequence and/or String Analysis (D/RNA or AA sequence search, alignment, profile modelling)
- Image Analysis or Machine Vision processing of clinical imagery (scanned slide imagery)
Or with these Financial services skills:
- A good understanding and depth of experience in most of the following:
- Experience working with financial data in a professional capacity or academia.
- Time series analysis, including one or more of: Prediction and forecasting, Trend modelling, DTW clustering (or other segmentation methods)
- Mixed effects linear regression modelling and a practical experience of panel study design.
- Awareness of personal data within datasets and necessarily associated processes for working with such data.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Generous sick pay
- Private Medical Insurance
- Pension scheme
- Remote working
- Monthly training day to upskill
We embrace diversity, bringing different people, with different backgrounds and different expertise together to build a stronger, more resilient company.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity and we want to ensure that our recruitment process is accessible to everyone. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation during the process, please do not hesitate to let us know.
OUR VALUES UNDERPIN EVERYTHING WE DO, SO IT IS IMPORTANT YOU CAN EVIDENCE THE FOLLOWING:
- Ability to actively listen and act on what your co-workers, partners and clients talk about;
- Ability to actively seek and consider new and different approaches;
- A hunger for learning: from each other, from researching new technologies, from attending courses and conferences;
- Being comfortable with trying new things, assessing, and making corrective changes;
- Trustworthy and an ethical decision-maker.