Department: Design / Product
Line Manager: Co-Founder
Location: Leyton, London
Contract Type: Full Time
Travel Required: Yes
PLANK Hardware is a fresh new hardware brand selling accent hardware pieces via multiple online channels. It was founded in 2018 by Tom Revill, an entrepreneur and experienced e-commerce consultant, with the mission of enabling people to be creative in their homes and add their own finishing touches to their renovations. Tom’s co-founder Annie Aveyard joined the business in 2019 - Annie has a long standing finance career and most recently acted as Head of Finance at a scaling e-commerce furniture retailer.
The brand has big plans for 2021 and beyond, driving growth by focussing on range expansion, developing the B2B proposition and rolling out new B2C retail channels. The business is already profitable and is looking to achieve sustainable, profitable growth.
This role is a full time position reporting to Founder Tom. Working closely with Tom and a junior designer you will manage all aspects of our product design strategy and pipeline including initial design ideation, development, 3D modelling, rendering and technical drawings as well as working with our brand and marketing team to define the design direction for the brand. The role will be based at our premises in Leyton, North East London, with some opportunities for flexible working during part of the week.
Roles and responsibilities
- Creating design concepts and ideas across all home décor hardware categories.
- Take designs from concept stage through to manufacturing and launch.
- Working with the Co-Founders and marketing team to align on trend direction at the beginning of each development phase.
- Research and exploration of new category launches.
- Establish a product strategy and ensuring that relevant design trends and direction are followed through.
- Day to day management and guidance of a Junior Designer.
You'll have practical problem-solving skills and be driven to develop thoughtful design solutions along with a strong attention to detail and the ability to communicate ideas through outstanding visualisation skills. With proven experience as a Product Designer, and ideally a strong graphic aesthetic, you'll have:
- Passion for interior design and a creative flair for home accents
- 2-5 years of retail experience in home decor product design.
- Experience of trend analysis and planning.
- Working knowledge of Solidworks, Photoshop and Illustrator is essential.
- Understanding of manufacturing techniques and possibilities.
- Ability to produce complete technical drawings.
- A good understanding of DIY.
- Great opportunities to make the role your own and get involved with exciting projects in a fast-paced, creative and fun office environment.
- Company pension scheme
- Private health plan
- 20% Friends & Family discount