Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role
Winnow products rely on a combination of proprietary software and a selection of hardware components. Historically Winnow has strived to remain modular and off-the-shelf with the hardware but we are now moving towards more custom, in house designed solutions with an aim to optimise function, cost and reliability.
Our product has been through several generations of software and hardware through its first 5 years, and continues to evolve. We now have a variety of components working in the field in around 50 countries, and we're seeking someone who will participate in device-specific testing and root cause analysis of returned units with in-the-field issues, and perhaps also augment the move of our latest product generation from design into full-scale production working with our supply chain partners.
This is a 6-month contract role initially, with a potential opportunity to continue thereafter for the right individual. Full-time Monday to Friday, or flex-time arrangements are possible. You'll be working alongside our in-house hardware engineer, and can be supported in some activities by our in-house hardware order fulfillment team. The role will be in-person, at our offices near Old Street in London.
* Conduct root cause analysis of recurring hardware failures, and find solutions to address them.
* Own the process of reviewing returned hardware - troubleshoot, identify root causes, and refurbish, with support from the build room team.
* Perform simple data analysis on reported issues to identify trends in hardware failures.
* Turn the learnings from failed hardware into actionable plans for product or process improvements and guide these changes through to implementation.
* Assist in production readiness activities for new hardware, including global safety, RF, and EMC certifications, quality assurance, supplier selection, assembly guide production, and more. The work involves design review, testing, and liaising with certification houses and suppliers.
* Working with our software teams, manage and execute hardware specific testing procedures to ensure that new software releases are fully operational across our range of hardware solutions.
* Tinkerer - you like working with your hands and with computers.
* Detective - you like gathering evidence, but have good intuition as well.
* Prolific inventor - you can think laterally and creatively as to many approaches to solve the same problem, but you're able to make pragmatic decisions and move forward without suffering 'analysis paralysis'.
* Conductor - You're organised, and can organise others to get things done, right and right on time.
* Communicator - you have excellent verbal and written communication skills and are able to build effective relationships with multiple stakeholders
Your education and experience
* You are likely to have a top university degree, ideally in mechanical or electrical engineering.
* You have hands-on experience building and testing hardware and electronics and understand the interactions between hardware and software. Proficient with a common tool set and soldering iron.
* You can creatively come up with hypotheses to unknown issues, and have the skills to rigorously test those hypotheses, document results and propose solutions.
* Experience in networked devices, firmware, and software engineering are all helpful. Experience in Linux and Docker based systems ideal.
* You can be detail oriented and have experience in specifying, comparing, selecting and sourcing hardware and electronic parts.
Our shared values
* You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term. You listen to and act on what your customers need
* You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
* You get things done at pace and seek to continually improve. Your customers see you as someone who gets things done, and they want you on their team
* You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to playing an active role in fight against food waste
* You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling, regardless of the task
* Competitive day rate, according to experience
* Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
* Shared office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment
* You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation