Syntacog is a legal-tech start-up, founded in August 2020 to develop a way of making compliance simpler and more cost effective for businesses. Our initial use case was to deliver self-service health and safety advice for UK small and medium enterprises (SMEs) to assist in their recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our mission at Syntacog is to make regulatory compliance simple for businesses. We provide monitoring of regulatory information, official government guidance and legislation, as well as a web-based platform to convert regulatory information into actionable guidance at the point it is needed. Compliance teams are then able to deploy and operationalise regulatory guidance across their organisations using cloud-based expert systems.
Using Regtik, our patent-pending software originally designed for health and safety compliance, organisations operating in complex regulatory environments can manage their compliance obligations in an efficient and cost effective way, saving up to an estimated 90% of time and effort spent on compliance activities while reducing the risk of errors and penalties.
Syntacog is looking for a bright, ambitious and enthusiastic paralegal to join our paralegal team. As part of the paralegal team, you will be providing a high-level of legal and administrative support. The role is ideal for someone who is a self-starter, detail-orientated and enjoys working in a small team. As this role is fully remote, the successful candidate must possess proven experience of working autonomously with a pro-active and confident approach.
The role is a fixed term contract for two months. The position offers a salary of £30,000 and an annual holiday entitlement of 28 paid days each holiday year, both adjusted pro-rata for the duration of the contract. The working hours for this position are Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm. The position will start on the 1st November 2021, and end on the 31st December 2021. Candidates must be UK-based and have sufficient phone and internet access. Candidates must also have right to work in the UK, a UK address, a bank account and a National Insurance number.
Candidates must send a copy of their CV and a cover letter outlining their suitability to the role and how they meet the required experiences, skills and attributes detailed below. Following screening of applications, successful candidates will be invited to attend an online interview. Following the initial interview, candidates will be required to complete a sample research task before a final interview.
- Conduct legal research as and when required;
- Carry out various other administrative duties as and when required;
- Legal analysis of legislation and related regulatory documents to support development;
- Research and development tasks to support the product development teams;
- Monitor official legislation and regulatory guidance to deploy time-critical updates;
- Perform duties in accordance with agreed instructions.
Required Experience, Skills and Attributes:
- Strong academic credentials in a law related qualification - LLB or GDL, or equivalent;
- Excellent working knowledge of microsoft office (Word, Excel etc);
- Strong legal research skills;
- An ability to correctly interpret legislation and translate legislation into logical and structured decision trees;
- Proven experience of prioritising and working to deadlines, with an ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrable analytical capabilities;
- Ability to take direction and work independently, using initiative to ensure successful achievement of tasks / objectives;
- Self-motivated, requires minimal supervision;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Strong team player with a positive and flexible approach to work with colleagues;
- Positive attitude, high level of integrity and intellectual curiosity; willingness to learn new skills and take on greater levels of responsibility.
Preferred Skills / Attributes. The ideal candidate will:
- Have prior paralegal experience (1-2y);
- Be technologically astute - experience with Google workspaces and SaaS platforms;
- Have an interest in legal and reg tech, innovation and leveraging technology to streamline services;
- Have prior experience working in a startup or SME;
- Have prior experience in compliance or regulatory affairs.