Who are we?
Upsurance is an insuretech bringing the first true digital exchange to market. We bridge the gap between insurers and retail brokers making it 100x easier, faster and more cost-effective to transact policies. We currently increase insurers’ ROI by up to 600% and provide unparalleled access to retail brokers. Our proprietary risk matching algorithm, simplicity in design and robust back-end allows us to unlock and create value for the insurance industry. Our vision is to be the largest insurance exchange in the world. Our mission is to make insurance fairer for all.
We founded Upsurance to change the 300+ years’ old way of transacting insurance and to bring one of the last face-to-face financial centers to the digital world. Our team brings a multi-disciplinary approach to market (B2B marketplace and SaaS expertise; marketplace and SaaS products and engineering expertise; insurance underwriting and distribution expertise).
We are a VC backed startup with notable angels and advisors with us on the journey. This is a critical and high impact role with significant room to grow in a fast paced environment. If this all sounds great to you, we’d be excited to have you with us on the journey!
We are looking for a passionate Operations Manager to join us and become one of the first members of our team; working on building and supporting operational processes. You will ideally be comfortable sinking your teeth into all parts of operations across HR, sales, product and finance. It’s an exciting time to join us as we gear up for launch. There will be lots of opportunities to influence how we build up our operations.
As an early member of the team, you'll ideally be someone who enjoys owning pieces of work, communicating with wider stakeholders, takes initiative and enjoys teaching and learning from others.
What you'll do
- Help deliver projects large and small across HR, Operations, Sales and Product
- Managing Jira / Confluence + Notion + GSuite (Google drive, etc.) + Slack integrations
- Preparing customer + investor presentations
- Lead product operations and support in managing engineering tasks using Jira / Confluence
- Responsible for drafting and designing product emails (notifications by platform)
- Liaise with customers' operations teams (brokers + insurers)
- Assist in managing website design + co-managing development build
- Responsible for setting up initial customer success strategy
- Setting up HR policies and procedures, company handbook, culture document
- Lead recruiting efforts on LinkedIn and other recruiting boards (such as Otta)
- Manage key organizational dates on Company calendar
- Setting up best practice internal accounting process, reconcile invoices across various tools, track monthly software spend, liaise with HMRC
- Research in the insurance market across MGAs, wholesalers and insurers
- Identify office space and lead office management
About the person that we are looking for
(This is not a shopping list; you don’t need to be an expert in everything!)
- Overall a great attitude with excitement to build at an early stage startup
- Committed to delivering agility and passionate for innovation; creative and keen to bring new ideas to the organization
- Obsessed with technology, with a good understanding of the wider landscape and innovations that would benefit our business in both short and long term.
- Self-motivated with uncompromising attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills, with an enthusiastic attitude to support and resolve problems
- Practical experience with operations management best practices
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and articulate operational challenges and solutions to complex problems
- Great listener and communicator, written and oral
Qualifications & technical experience
(Expertise in all of these aren’t a necessity, but demonstrable knowledge is important!)
- 5+ years of operations management experience
- Experience making operational decisions, mentoring and taking ownership of projects
- A good understanding of tech startups
- Experience working with Office 365; strong skills in Microsoft PowerPoint specifically
- Experience with Jira / Confluence and ability to learn new third party software
What do you get?
- You will get the chance to help build a marketplace startup product from the ground up that is trying to make a real difference in the Insurance industry. We want people who are passionate about being part of this incredible journey!
- You will work in a collaborative team
- Very generous share option scheme! We want you to own the work that you do, and this means owning the company you work in (we can talk you through the inner workings of these during the interview)
- 33 day holiday entitlement, including bank holidays, plus your birthday off!, pension, company socials and lunches, extensive opportunity for personal mentoring from our advisory board and investors