We are looking for a brilliant Digital Product Designer with UI and visual focus, who will work in our Product Team and across our growing organisation to create beautiful and memorable learning experiences for students. Part of being on this team is a love for building a product you’re proud to share with your friends and family.
We strive to create highly engaging, high quality immersive learning content. You’ll be a part of a team that’s at the forefront of innovation in pedagogy, media, design and technology. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who enjoys working within a fast-paced start-up environment as part of a phenomenal team working together to grow Lyfta into a formidable global education company.
Lyfta makes awe-inspiring digital learning experiences to foster empathy and global understanding. We have developed an award-winning, subscription-based digital platform where teachers and pupils can access stunning immersive storyworlds and curriculum-based lesson and assembly plans.
Our theme-based learning experiences are ideal for teaching many subjects in primary and secondary school, as well as for home learners, including but not limited to Literacy, PSHE, Global Citizenship, Design Technology, Geography, Science and Art, as well as fostering 21st Century skills and values such as empathy, self-direction and critical thinking.
We are a positive, talented and hard-working group of people with a big goal: to contribute to a better world through education. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and lots of fun.
Diversity and inclusion is at the heart of everything we do with Lyfta - from the immersive stories on our platform, to our team and the way we behave and operate as a company. We aim to nurture a culture that respects and values each other’s differences, that promotes dignity, equality and diversity, and that supports individuals to develop and maximise their true potential.
Purpose of the role
As Digital Product Designer (UI/Visual) you’ll be joining our cross-functional Product team with creative technologists, engineers, and devs; where research, design, development and delivery work hand-in-hand to create meaningful end-user experiences and push the boundaries of our work. Your role will sit within this wider product team facilitated by the Head of Engineering. You’ll directly report to the Design Lead. In addition to supporting UX/UI and optimising the product’s user-centricity you’ll be designing artwork and content collateral responding to briefs from our marketing, training, sales and content teams aligned with our brand guidelines.
- Support the UX Lead on daily design tasks, sketching, wireframing and creating interactive prototypes to communicate ideas for new features, optimising existing features, and maintaining our design system
- Design user interface components that meet current and WCAG guidelines
- Design artwork and content collateral responding to briefs from our marketing, training, sales,content, and leadership teams
- Creation of 2D artwork/ illustrations / creative assets and templates for use across multiple channels
- Supporting our content team with the creation and design of mixed media content
- Management of central collateral and graphics store
- Getting involved in a variety of other exciting design-led projects across all of our teams, and taking ownership of our branding.
Skills and experience
5 + years of experience designing across digital interfaces, with a strong portfolio demonstrating strong visual design skills, design thinking, product thinking, and problem-solving
- A degree in a design-related field and/or equivalent relevant experience
- Experience in artwork and content design (digital & print) with a passion for typography, colour and layout, and a love for branding
- Proficiency in design packages, Figma, Adobe (incl. XD, Photoshop, Illustrator and Sketch)
- Outstanding attention to detail and experience of working within tight brand guidelines and briefs
- An advocate for user-centered design with a focus to solve digital accessibility challenges
- An understanding of UI work, component development, and maintaining design systems
- A strong ability to work collaboratively with sensitivity and awareness to difference
- Proven ability to use evidence to identify changes that optimise our technologies and content
- Amazing communication skills and the ability to create compelling ‘Stories’ and designs
- Ability to prioritise workload with justification and to meet deadlines
- Ability to manage a number of stakeholders and communicate effectively with non-technical colleagues
- Familiarity with UX and user research, evidence-based design, and interaction design skills is a plus
- Experience of app and website design
- Experience and/or interest for designing extended reality experiences (AR/VR/MR) is a strong advantage
- Knowledge of of HTML and CSS is a plus
- Formal qualifications desirable but not essential
- Awareness of environmental and sociocultural issues
- A passion for social change and an understanding of the educational technology (Ed Tech) industry
- Understanding design trends and maintaining cutting-edge skills
- Knowledge of agile methodologies in cross functional teams where design and development work in tandem
Remuneration and benefits
- Associate to mid level £40,000 - 45,000 p/a (depending on experience)
- 24 days annual leave + bank holidays
- Private healthcare
- Company pension scheme
- Lovely, bright office space in Islington with good coffee and tea :)
- Flexible working (a mixture of office and remote work)
- Lunch allowance on office days
- Annual team retreats and regular team events
- High spec work laptop, headset and all the necessary software
How to apply
Please apply by sending a CV along with a covering letter, explaining why you would like to work with us and stating how your skills and experience match the description for this role.
Include your portfolio (any digital format) showcasing your visual/UI design skills. We will not be reviewing applications that do not include a portfolio as an attachment or as a link.
Send applications to UX Lead Yiota Demetriou with subject line “Designer Application”: firstname.lastname@example.org
No contacts from agencies please.
Recruitment process and timeline
Deadline for applications: 8th November 2021
Our recruitment process has three main steps:
- A short introductory chat to review your interest in the role, tell you a little about Lyfta, set expectations, and to go over the interview process.
- An in-depth interview where you’ll get the chance to meet a few more people on our team, we get to know more about you and your experience. You’ll be asked to talk us through your favourite project in your portfolio.
- The last stage is a technical interview. You’ll complete it as a whiteboard exercise (during the interview), in which you will respond to a brief that we give you. No prep is essential for this and it will be casual. It is short, and most importantly, entirely fictional! We want to see how you think and roll in action.
Dates for each step will be scheduled after we have reviewed applications.
We look forward to receiving your application.