Founded in 2014 in London, United Kingdom, Garrison has raised more than $50m to date from London investors including Dawn Capital, IP Group, NM Capital and BGF. Garrison’s strengths lie in its experienced and dedicated teams, building on years of expertise in cyber security to bring genuinely game changing technology to the industry.
Garrison is working to build the future of cyber security and is already deploying at scale in both the government and commercial space. Our existing customers are large organisations averaging over 50,000 employees each, across sectors including banking, insurance, media, telco, law and government.
Our working culture
We are an exciting start-up with ground-breaking technology; a very serious mission to solve real world problems, but with a positive and highly inclusive atmosphere, and an excellent work/life balance!
At Garrison we celebrate diversity and inclusion, and we’re focused on continuously improving equality for the benefit of our employees, products and community. We recruit, develop and retain talent purely on the basis of qualifications, merit and business needs.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we take every possible step to ensure that every person employed or seeking employment with us receives fair treatment. No-one shall be disadvantaged on the grounds of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marital and parental status, neurodiversity, social background, physical ability, illness or otherwise.
Overview of the role
As a DevOps Engineer at Garrison you will be instrumental in improving the test workflows, practices and processes employed by the wider engineering team and working with them to embed test automation throughout the development lifecycle, directly influencing the efficiency and success of the wider Engineering department.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in one of Garrison’s fastest growing teams where you will support the entire engineering lifecycle from design through to development, and into operational deployment by developing tools, methods and infrastructure to make our test practices as effective and efficient as possible.
You will focus on developing, maintaining, and running new and existing automated tests and reporting product testing status, as well as contributing to all aspects of product engineering by providing an automated testing capability that the wider engineering team will use.
Our technology stack ranges from bespoke hardware to embedded software, to mobile and desktop applications, web services and everything in between, and you will have the opportunity to work with talented engineers in each of these areas, learning about the technology and applying your core skills and experience in automation to those environments.
Garrison has a challenging, supportive and fast-moving working environment with a huge opportunity to learn about different technologies, develop new skills and set out on a range of career paths.
The main areas you'll be focusing on in the role are as follows:
Continuous integration / deployment
- Maturing our existing processes & practises by introducing new ideas and technologies
- Supporting the engineering team to improve test automation by designing, developing and integrating tests for all aspects of the system and producing reports on automated test execution.
- Coordinating with all teams at Garrison to effectively understand (and then eliminate) limitations in engineering build, deploy and test workflows.
- Choosing the right tools for the job. By understanding the nature of our work you will choose, deploy and maintain the best tools for us to use: be they open source, paid for or developed in-house.
- Investigating new technologies and performing rapid prototyping to support technical de-risking and discover new opportunities for test improvements.
- Researching and integrating third-party solutions for DevOps needs.
- Promoting a “DevOps mindset” across the engineering team and accelerating the adoption of new tools, workflows and best practices across new and existing projects.
Skills and experience
You will have demonstrable experience of scripting, automation and testing, and have a track record of picking up and working with different technologies.
You’ll be perfect for the role if you have the following
- Familiarity of Linux systems, ideally development and optimisation in this space.
- Knowledge of automation, ideally familiar with scripting across platforms, e.g. Python, Bash, PowerShell.
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary engineering team, with a passion for improving engineering workflows and quality, working across teams to embed automation and rapid feedback into engineering practices.
- Familiar with at least 1 container solution (e.g. Docker & Windows containers).
- Understanding of a wide range of development tools and technologies, including issue trackers, IDEs, source control systems, continuous integration tools etc.
- Understanding the different types of tests that should be run at different points in the development cycle (e.g. unit, component, integration, end to end).
And experience in these areas would be a massive bonus (but don’t worry if you’ve not covered these yet!)
- Video streaming technologies.
- Test automation and Continuous Integration in systems involving custom hardware.
- Different software package managers (e.g. RPM, apt, chocolatey).
What we can offer you in return!
- Company pension scheme of 8% base salary (depending on employee minimum contribution)
- Perkbox discounts and freebies – free coffee, free cinema tickets, and lots more
- Flexible working hours and regular working from home
- Regular socials – theatre trips, company picnic, games night & sports day are all recent examples
- Personal training budget of up to £1,000 per year, to be allocated as you wish
- Life assurance and critical illness cover
- Company share options
- Interest-free season ticket loans and cycle to work scheme
- 25 days holiday allowance per year, with the opportunity to buy or sell up to 5 days