Assistant Accountant/Finance Assistant
Highly competitive salary, depending on experience.
Part-qualified ACCA/CIMA etc (we may offer study support)
At MEL Science we believe that it is vital to study science to succeed in the future. So we are on a mission to engage children in science.
In order to do that, we give parents a tool to unlock their child’s scientific potential. We aim to become a global platform for fun science studies.
We are learning through practice. Experiments are like magic, and learning the science behind them is fun if you’re curious about the concepts and not just memorizing facts.
We help to nurture children’s natural interest in science by giving them:
- fun hands-on experiments to engage
- serious, detailed explanations to learn
- VR and AR technologies to dive deeper
- live lessons with great teachers to connect
We are a team of 200+ employees. The product is available in 16 languages. We ship to 60+ countries and we are growing exponentially - our turnover is likely to grow by over 200% this year, and as such we are now looking for a super-smart energetic part-qualified Assistant Accountant to support our CFO and our international growth. This role encompasses a wide variety of tasks and will require someone who is extremely strong on Excel as you’ll be producing significant analysis.
Our role will suit you if you’re an energetic, talented Accountant wanting career progression in a fast-moving business. Ideally you’ll also have some exposure to ecommerce. You may be in your second or third role within Accountancy. You’ll have a strong interest in Science and Technology in Education and ideally a degree in a Scientific subject. You’ll have a strong academic history, you’ll be driven and self-motivated. You MUST understand what it means to work in a small, fast-growing business.
About The Role
On a day to day basis, you will:
- Perform general financial accounting duties and oversee payments and our outsourced accounting function, (transactional) to ensure the information they produce is accurate and timely.
- Assist in preparation of monthly cash and management accounts for our UK, China and US companies.
- Compile management reporting and analytical work for sales, inventory and overhead reconciliations.
- Prepare budgets and cash flow forecasts. You’ll analyse actual against budget for the UK, US and china.
- Assist in the implementation of a new accounting system for the UK.
- Support the CFO in ad hoc financial projects including financial analysis and other business partnering activities.
As well as the requirements listed above, a Science degree or a STRONG interest in Science, you’ll also have:
- Startup and/or small company experience, ideally ecommerce, tech, retail or manufacturing.
- Excellent MS Office, Powerpoint and advanced Excel - pivot tables, vlookups etc.
- Some experience with intercompany accounting, multicurrency & consolidating international management accounts.
- You’ll love the thought of working in a startup that’s trying to change the face of Science education.
- You’ll be highly proactive, keen to analyse, investigate and understand what’s happening behind the numbers.
- A roll the sleeves up attitude! You’ll be flexible, committed and able to see the bigger picture as well as delve into the details.
- A high level of accuracy and superb attention to detail.
- A consummate team player, you’ll be happy to communicate with internal and external stakeholders in order to explain, translate and provide required management information.
You may also work as Assistant Accountant, Accounts Assistant, Management Accountant, Accounts Officer, Financial Accountant or similar.
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you! We are committed to internal staff progression and looking for people to join us for a long-term journey. Please note that we have a direct hiring policy in place, at this stage, we're not interested in hearing from recruitment agencies. Thanks!