At MADE.COM we believe that everyone should have access to great design. So, we’ve taken a unique approach to making and selling furniture - no middlemen, no agents or importers and no high street stores. Instead, we work directly with designers and manufacturers so we can offer high-end furniture at attractive prices.
It's not an easy task – it takes a creative and dedicated team to make it happen where everyone has an important part to play. We combine our individual passions and skills to create innovative work that's as exciting and unconventional as the business itself.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Product Manager to join our Back Office Tech team to help us define and manage the work completed by our development squads.
The Made.com’s tech team is split into several areas of responsibility. The Back Office is responsible for all the systems and software required to sell to a customer, other than the website or website merchandising. This covers all the systems required to support our product management, order management, inventory management, logistics and supplier management, warehouse management and customer services.
The Back Office systems are a combination of custom build software, open source software and licensed software. The majority of our core systems are custom built using service orientated and domain driven design concepts. The Back Office runs 6 development squads working on differing roadmap projects as well as supporting the systems day to day. The squads run 2-week agile sprints and develop in a number of technologies but primarily in python within AWS infrastructure. There is a culture of assessing and using the most suitable technology for the requirements, so the squads periodically introduce new technologies to refresh systems where required.
A Product Manager is primarily responsible for managing the work going into the backlog for one or two of the development squads. This means they are responsible for understanding the high-level business and technology roadmaps and then taking those projects assigned to the squads and working with the business teams to drive out the detailed requirements and structure these into suitable sized stories that can be prioritised in the backlog.
Product Owners at Made have to work closely with the development squads they are owning and also have a good relationship with the business teams that they service to ensure the systems support both the tactical day to day needs and also the strategic direction of the company. This means the role has elements of technical competence, people management, business understanding and project management. This means there is a range of backgrounds for our Product Managers a diverse skillset is appreciated. So, while there isn’t a specific set of requirements or background we require, a candidate should have
- Significant experience in a relevant company and similar role
- Technically proficient (there is no need to code or be a coder but you need to be able to discuss the code requirements)
- Experienced with agile methodology and development
- Experienced working with internal and external stakeholders and business teams
- Experienced with requirements gathering and project definition
- Experienced with project or development management
- Familiarity with Cloud computing (AWS specifically) is a bonus
What we offer
- Great opportunities to make the role your own and get involved with exciting projects in a fast-paced, creative and fun office environment.
- We’re proud of our diverse, supportive company and culture. Our very own in-house Culture Club plans a variety of activities from our annual parties, Friday drinks, social events and more.
- Temptingly good employee discounts on MADE.com (30% for you and 15% for your family & friends).
- 25 days holiday per year (on top of bank holidays), plus an extra holiday day for every year, served up to a ceiling of 30 days.
- We know that flexibility is important. Our Everyday Flex policy enables you to determine your start and finish times as well as hybrid office/home working
- Free, unlimited access to over 13,000 eLearning courses to support your development.
- We believe it’s important to give back, so we give you one paid day off each year to get involved in any community or charity volunteering activity of your choice.
- Excellent employee benefits including private healthcare (with discounted gym membership), pension, life insurance, eyecare vouchers, cycle to work scheme and season ticket loan to name but a few.