At OpenOrigins, we are in the business of bringing provenance and meaningful ownership to the digital world. This starts with building a federated platform that deserves to be widely trusted and can scale to millions of users. We are working with the world’s leading media companies to ensure that our stellar engineering results in a stellar reception by Internet users around the world.
We are backed by a leading UK-based VC-fund and have offices in London and Birmingham.
We deeply value independent thinking and self-motivation. We believe in hiring the best minds and then letting them do their thing, rather than micro-managing every task. We love “crazy” ideas, and we love giving our people the time and resources needed to make those ideas real.
We follow a very agile mindset in keeping with the explorative, ground-breaking nature of our work. An ideal day at work is an intense whiteboard brainstorming session followed by stormy coding sessions. To facilitate this speed, we will always ensure a flat hierarchy: you will never be more than a message away from anyone in the organisation. We enjoy meeting up in the same space to collaborate (and have fun) when it makes sense but provide the flexibility to get your head down from home at other times for when that makes more sense.
Our team consists of both researchers and industry veterans. Members of our team have worked at, and studied at, institutions such University of Cambridge, Yale, Harvard, ETH Zurich, Thales and F-Secure.
As a Designer and Frontend developer at OpenOrigins, you’ll have the opportunity to create and mould our digital assets, taking concepts and turning those into user facing features with our backend teams to deliver engaging experiences for our customers. You will be involved in creating entirely new classes of interfaces to go along with our ground-breaking technology as well as masterminding the slickest of product demos.
We expect the ideal candidate to be versatile, self-starting and proactive with 4+ years’ experience that they can bring to bear on their work. They can handle working with evolving briefs in a dynamic environment to help create the finer details of how the applications look and work.
- Taking proof of concept mock-ups and turn those into new slick user-facing features
- Interfacing with and editing digital media assets, including still image, video and audio
- Ensuring product demos have polish and pizazz!
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Ensure the technical and practicality feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Ensure that the application is optimised for maximum speed and scalability
- Assure that all user input is validated before submitting to back-end
- Working proactively and effectively with other team members and stakeholders
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have a strong technical background, including 4+ years of experience working on the frontend solutions that delight users
- Are comfortable working on a new product under fluid conditions, seamlessly balancing tactical and strategic considerations
- Measure your success in terms of impact, not lines of code Internalize the best ideas from across the organization, humbly setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- Can hit the ground running and make an immediate impact
- Want to work with a high-performance team and know you won’t have problems keeping up
- Prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what will last and scale
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different areas of expertise.
- Can work in the UK, we have a pragmatic hybrid working model where we aim to collaborate (and have fun) in person when it makes sense, typically 2 days a week.
It's not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. Don't let this make you hesitate if you want to apply.