What we do at Wonderbly
Wonderbly is an award-winning personalised children’s publisher, and the Children’s Publisher of the Year 2021. It all started in 2013 with a story called Lost My Name. And now, we’ve sold over six million books in nine languages all over the world, helping to make storytime more magical for lots and lots of children (and their grown-ups).
In so many ways, our journey is just beginning. Having established ourselves as leaders in the children's space, we’re building a global personal-publishing business that brings the power of meaningful personalisation into the hearts and homes of everyone in the world.
Exciting times ahead!
The person we’re looking for
We’re looking for an exceptional Lead Designer to join our creative marketing team. It’s a chance to use your creative brilliance to help our team deliver high-quality, lively and all-round-fun campaigns for Wonderbly as we grow. We’re a kind, positive bunch of people (and animals, and mythical creatures) who seek similar. Hard-working, playful designers really float our boat – so send us examples of your perkiest work!
Life as a Lead Designer at Wonderbly
- It’s your role to help tell the world all about Wonderbly and our brand purpose, and of course sell our magical books - through delightful design/visuals across all channels.
- You’ll lead and coach designers to do their best work across book launches, campaigns and other marketing initiatives.
- Design and copy working relationships are very important to us here at Wonderbly, so expect to work hand in hand with some pretty wonderful wordsmiths.
- Using your art direction skills, you’ll level up the quality of the work and make sure that everything goes out of the door looking and feeling Wonderbly.
- By working across teams (from commercial through to digital) you’ll help them to deliver more impact for the business.
- You’ll always be on a mission to make Wonderbly look and feel it’s very best, so you shouldn’t be afraid to evolve the visual style when appropriate.
- You should be ambitious, and know when to push boundaries, and when to challenge. But always making sure to inspire the people around you to create something truly great.
A bit about the role:
Working closely with our Creative Director and Head of Copy on a range of exciting projects, making sure book launches look beautiful, brand campaigns grab customers’ attention, and trade campaigns really cut through.
- You will be working in a player-coach style role, managing and leading designers, alongside designing and delivering top priority work. So this role is still a hands-on role.
- Taking briefs from the marketing and product teams to work on them as a team or individually.
- Leading concept sessions, generating fresh and inspired ideas.
- Presenting concepts to stakeholders, and leading a number of weekly meetings.
- Photoshoots with lots of very cute (sometimes mischievous) children.
- You’ll be using Adobe CS suite on a daily basis.
Hopefully you'll have some or all of the following:
- You’ve led designers to deliver creative work before. And have a strong portfolio of high-impact, consumer-facing work.
- You can give clear direction and actionable feedback, which empowers designers to make the work better.
- Excellent verbal, visuals and written communication skills.
- Breadth of experience in creating visuals for digital and print.
- A mastery of design, typography, image creation and retouching.
- After Effects would be a seriously great bonus.
- Detail orientated and extremely well organised.
- A deep understanding of brand design and campaign development.
- A strategic approach to design, and to the delivery of assets for a creative brief.
- You’re analytical, you understand performance metrics to iterate on designs.
First and foremost you should join Wonderbly because of the work. We’re on a mission to inspire boundless self belief in every child, everywhere through our beautiful personalised books.
- A salary of up to £55,000
- The chance to work on something your friends and family will fall in love with
- We have a flexible, hybrid working model that you can tailor to suit what works best for you. From September 2021 onwards we're asking our staff to come into our lovely light filled East London studio at least two days a week and then to choose what works best for them for the rest of the time. We're open to any working model that helps you do great work and connect best with our mission
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular Yoga classes and mental health support
- Personal training allowance
- 28 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays
- Health insurance to keep you in tip-top shape
- Pension scheme
- We love having dogs in the office (well behaved ones anyway)!
Equal opportunities employer
Our team are committed to providing equal opportunities for employment regardless of of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, disability, family structure, socio-economic status, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis (it's the law, but it's also just the right thing to do).