Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. Driven by our core belief that you can never care too much or be too thoughtful, we do things a little differently. From inventing letterbox flowers to founding The Thoughtful Marketing Movement. And we’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are the world’s leading and most loved flower and gifting platform, growing at 100% year on year (and we’ve been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the pandemic).
2021 has already been an exciting year for us, in January we announced our £100 million Series D funding round round, led by General Catalyst (backers of Airbnb and Deliveroo), with participation from multiple other top tier investors including Index Ventures (who have also backed companies such as Transferwise and Glossier). More recently, we’ve announced the acquisition of the Dutch online flower business bloomon and the French online flower business Bergamotte, together creating Europe's leading online flower delivery company, with our three strong brands active across 8 countries. We have been named one of the 5 fastest growing tech companies in Europe and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. We were also one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020.
We really care about creating a diverse and inclusive team - so we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our team, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.
Technology Team at Bloom & Wild
The overall Bloom & Wild team is now 300+ people. Our technology team contains a number of squads tasked with delivering the product and tech roadmap. You will join the newly formed (but growing!) Platform team which underpins these squads and enables them to deliver their code into production, quickly, safely and autonomously.
Platform Team focus areas include:
- Critical core infrastructure that lies at the heart of our company's expansion, and is used by both our internal teams and our external suppliers
- Using technology to help build a secure, reliable and scalable Platform, which can both serve a growing number of customers, but also enable the engineering squads to accelerate their feature delivery
- Supporting our broader strategy to break up our platform into a set of smaller services
- For our senior members and above, there is an expectation to participate in our out of hours support on a rota basis throughout the year, inline with our Out of Hours policy
You can read more about our technology and culture over on our tech blog - Code & Wild.
The role and ways of working
- You’ll be working closely with the Data team, building infrastructure, tools and services to help the team with putting data pipelines and machine learning models in production.
- You’ll be a key person, working with your team, to help implement and roll-out DevOps practices and PaaS tools and solutions. You will build self-service tooling, improve processes and infrastructure to support other teams across the business.
- You’ll work with the Platform & Data teams to define and implement our operations procedures and best practices for our customer-facing systems.
- You’ll effectively investigate, resolve and mitigate service-impacting events as part of operations on-call rotation.
- You have professional experience in a Platform team or operations engineering role.
- You have a good working knowledge of AWS fundamentals such as Fargate, RDS, VPC, IAM, S3 and Lambda.
- You have commercial experience with Infrastructure-as-Code tooling such as Terraform.
- You have experience of setting up and supporting CI/CD pipeline infrastructure and tooling.
- You have the ability to participate in off-hours handling of incidents and you are OK with being a member of the 24/7 on-call rota.
- As a keen collaborator, you’ll enjoy working with other engineers in the Platform team as well as a range of feature delivery squads.
- You'll have good interpersonal skills and the ability to clearly explain your work to engineers.
- You’ll naturally and actively seek to improve the process, tooling, and architecture of the underlying infrastructure and capabilities to give our customers a great experience.
Nice to have
- Experience working with a Data Engineering or Data Science team
- Experience with testing and operating web infrastructures in a scale-up environment.
- Experience working with companies manufacturing or fulfilling physical products.
Currently our full team is working from home and adapting quickly to being totally remote. In addition to our normal perks and benefits we’re supporting each other and maintaining our culture remotely through:
- Regular virtual yoga classes with more virtual exercise variety to come!
- Celebrating birthdays with letterbox cake
- Weekly ‘team drinks trolleys’ and updates from our senior team
- Remote lunch and learns
- Supporting our wellbeing through online support sessions and employee assistance program
- New slack channels and ways of communicating including wellbeing channels
- Specialist online support to talk about the challenges we are facing in the current environment
Return to work and our new normal
The safety and wellbeing of our team is our primary concern during this period and our return to our beautiful, flower filled office will be gradual, considered and only when our team feels safe to do so. Whilst recognising that some of our team will prefer to work in our office, this period has proven that our team can embrace remote work extremely successfully and our plan moving forward is to find ways of continuing to incorporate remote work into our ways of working.
When we’re in the office
Our lovely, light and spacious office is conveniently located close to Vauxhall and Oval stations in London. We have an informal, startup culture, with employee-friendly policies such as:
- 25 days holiday, with an additional day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays, totalling 34 days, per annum
- Free breakfast, snacks and team lunches
- Season ticket loan
- Childcare Vouchers
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Personal Development Budget
- Family Friendly Policy - including enhanced family friendly packages and a salary sacrifice childcare scheme
- Pension Contribution
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Lunch & Learns
- Discounted blooms
- Bloom & Go Wild trips - most recently we went to Paris!
We apply our five key values (delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride) in our day to day activities and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
Before you start you’ll be able to choose whatever laptop you need, a widescreen monitor to plug into and whatever other tools you need.
See more on life at Bloom & Wild here.
Our Recruitment Process
Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19 the interview process will be conducted remotely. We’ll get to know each other better through a series of remote interviews with various members of the Technology and Product teams. During this time you’d get the chance to meet with some of the squad, talk with both our VP and Director of Engineering plus one of our Product Managers, and find out what it’s like to work for the largest online flower and gifting company in Europe!
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and would love to hear from you directly on how we can improve. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let us know at email@example.com