About the Role
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and enthusiastic data engineer who is looking to accelerate their career in a fast paced and high growth tech scaleup. We're growing our data team and are hiring for our first dedicated data engineer.
You’ll be partnering with our Head of Data to continue to build our data platform (BigQuery, dbt, docker). This system is the foundation of Urban Jungle’s’ data strategy enabling everything from our data science and machine learning to our product analytics and management reports.
In this role you will:
- Work in a constantly evolving environment with lots of opportunity to develop as the business grows.
- Help manage of our world class data platform:
- Monitor and tune performance
- Explore and evaluate the evolving tool landscape to keep us cutting edge
- Have the freedom to steer our direction
- Partner with our data practitioners and consumers to solve problems:
- Set up new data feeds on the platform (inc. building custom loaders)
- Building and sharing reusable components
- Integrating custom transformation pipelines (e.g. ML preprocessing)
- Teaching others best practices
- Join a fun and supportive team where your development and wellbeing matters.
What we’re looking for from you:
- A problem solver who enjoys building data processing systems.
- Experience with some of the following:
- Programming (ideally python)
- Easy to get on with and communicates well with technical and non-technical people.
- A self starter, who will not be afraid to challenge the status quo to get to a better outcome.
- Excited about the challenge of a start-up – especially getting to help shape the business from an early stage.
Urban Jungle is an inclusive employer and value diversity at our company. So long as you’ve got the skills for the job, even if you don’t fit these requirements exactly, we’d love to hear from you!
You can expect from us:
Urban Jungle is an amazing business to work in, with a super exciting and executable vision. Our team members are rewarded well with:
- A competitive salary depending on experience
- A material equity stake
- A company pension
- 25 days of paid leave, plus public holidays
- An annual personal development budget and training on whatever you need to do your job well
- A commitment from the co-founders to spend significant time on your coaching and development.
- Clear objectives, which are regularly updated, with regular formal feedback
- Whatever kit you need to be effective
- A commitment from the company to support your wellbeing for example with individual coaching sessions
- A cycle to work scheme
- Lots of social fun and events
- An open environment where you will be challenged
Urban Jungle is an exciting fintech scaleup that is making waves in a high growth consumer insurance space, on a mission to fix the way things are done in the industry and make customers’ lives better. Although we work in financial services, we are at heart a tech company, focused on building a customer-first brand that people can trust.
Our mission is to help millions of young people plan for their financial future - starting with providing a safety net for their home lives. We’re designing and building insurance products for a new generation of customers, challenging the status quo and changing the way things are done in insurance. We base all of our decisions and strategy around our 4 core values:
- Customer first
- Keep getting better
- Be responsible
- Aim for extraordinary
It’s an exciting time to join us as we’re growing fast! In the last year we hit 50,000 customers, launched several new products and doubled the team. We recently closed an £8m funding round - and we have big growth plans for the year ahead! This is a great opportunity to join a fast growing, data driven company and have a hand in shaping our futures.
Logistics & Application:
The position will be based at our offices in Oval, South London. The hiring process involves an initial phone conversation, followed by a practical and CV interview with the senior team.
Please answer the following question as part of the application process in your cover letter:
What data/cloud technologies are you currently excited to have a go with (or become expert in) and why?