Location: Belfast or Bournemouth
At Climax Community, we are fighting climate change head-on through the power of technology. Founded in 2019, we are a greentech start-up whose mission is to empower individuals, households, and businesses to drive change and take action in pursuit of a more sustainable world. Our goal is to equip our community with accurate and effective knowledge on the climate crisis, and to drive actions that avoid, reduce, and offset carbon emissions.
With global temperatures on the rise, climate change is having devastating effects on our ecosystems, resources, homes, and lives. To tackle this, we have created accessible and economical tools that incorporate the latest science, policy and pioneering knowledge, to help users actively reduce emissions and achieve carbon neutrality. To reach our goal, we are growing our dedicated, talented, and driven team, to lead the fight towards a sustainable future.
We are on the lookout for a Back-end Developer, who is passionate about greentech, to join our small and agile team responsible for the development and creation of our innovative climate change mitigation software products. You will be responsible for the server-side web logic, and work to improve current back-end applications and processes.
- Development of Servlet and microservices for the platform
- Design and implement REST services for the platform
- Deploy and manage the AWS infrastructure of the platform
- Create unit and integration tests
- Cooperate and collaborate with development team and product team on enhancing and improving the product
- Build integrations into external services
- Analyse and optimise computation requirement as required
- 2+ years of experience in software development
- A degree in a relevant area (e.g. computer science, computer engineering, software engineering) with a minimum level of 2nd Class honours (equivalent to a 2:1)
- Passionate about finding ways to tackle the climate crisis
- Strong skills in software development in Java/J2EE using the object-oriented development methodology
- Good knowledge in REST-technologies, especially JAX-RS (“Java API for RESTful Web Services”)
- Demonstrable experience in using programming frameworks/technologies such as Spring, DropWizard
- Good knowledge and experience in AWS, Docker and Kubernetes; knowledge of DevOps is a plus
- Good user of Confluence, Jira & GitHub
- Strong demonstrable experience PostgreSQL, Redis, NoSQL databases, Elastic search and ORM technologies
- Experience in working with Linux and Windows servers
- Experience of Agile Programming, pairing, and working within a collaborative team
Note: Role location is in Belfast or Bournemouth