Our purpose is to protect the planet for future generations by ensuring we live sustainably. So, we have made it our mission to accelerate the global adoption of circular waste treatment through affordable and accessible innovation. We are looking for a motivated chemical/process engineer to share our vision and scale our innovative technology globally.
WASE Limited, WOW Acton, Western Ave, London W3 0TG
Relocating to Bristol in 2023
£50,000 per annum, + share options
Significant salary increases in the next 2 years (£70,000+)
Apply by 1st December 2021
Blended working: min 2 days/week in the office.
Must be available between 10am – 3pm
The role is for an experienced engineer and leader looking to join an innovative and fast-growing team that is changing the way we look at waste. You will be playing a pivotal role in our research and development, taking our unique Electro-Methanogenic technology from a pilot scale to a world-leading commercial product. You will be working with the leadership team, founders, and technical advisors to build partnerships with key stakeholders and deliver successful projects. It is a chance to grow our strategy, research, and innovation into something that will change the world.
Who are we?
We are an award-winning team developing the next generation of wastewater and organic waste-to-energy technologies to produce biohydrogen and biomethane, which will power circular economies
Doing things our WASE
We want to grow a diverse team, so innovation and ideas can flourish within WASE. We believe that should start with the senior leadership team. We are particularly encouraging people to apply from under-represented groups, including but not limited to gender, disability, ethnicity, sexuality.
Job Description; the fun bit.
You will be leading three teams in order to scale our pilot into a commercial mass-producible product for the food and beverage industry in 12 months. The three teams are;
- Design/process engineering: scale-up our lab research and produce a system ready for manufacture that can be delivered to customers.
- Fundamental research: evaluating and optimising the Electro-Methanogenic process, through bioprocess controls and electrode optimisation.
- Digital/IOT: remote monitoring and automatic optimisation and operations using Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
What you can deliver in the next year
- Oversee our full-scale bioreactor construction, system process design and pilot plan to successfully install and operate a commercial trial for a brewery in Q2 2022 – system design is already in process
- Evaluate the reactor and electrode design for performance and design for manufacture (optimal flow, heating, and mass transfer etc.) to produce a final design for our commercial modular system design by Q4 2022
- Develop a clear vision for the future of our R&D and set out team Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) to realise the vision
- Further our technical understanding and deliver results from lab, pilot and commercial systems
- Demonstrate our value and performance over existing technologies
- Installation, operation, and maintenance plan for future commercial sales
What you demonstrate every day…
- Ability to lead multiple complex projects and work streams
- Ability to plan, work under pressure, deliver results and meet timelines
- Critical thinking and risk management expertise
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Develop/review technical documentation, including P&IDs and engineering drawings
- Ability to work with a multidisciplinary team with designers, engineers, scientists, operators
- Demonstrate excellent work ethics and embrace our culture
- Work with multiple stakeholders, including clients, partners, and suppliers
- Grow our network to further our research and vision
- Engineering qualification minimum BSc, BEng. (Masters desirable)
- Demonstratable industry expertise in Chemical/Process Engineering
- 5+ years of industry experience, including management experience
- Experience in Anaerobic Digestion and bioprocess control
- Strong project and people management experience
- Experience in bringing a new product to market
- Ideally, experience in developing modular systems
- Installation of a commercial system for a client
- Keen interest in following the current trends/innovation in the water and waste sectors
- Proficient IT Skills – inc. Microsoft, CAD and other process engineering software
- Knowledge of design for manufacture and manufacturing principles
- Knowledge of regulations for wastewater treatment, waste management and biogas
- Knowledge of Agile Project Management
- Experience in technical report writing and fundraising/grant writing
- The role will include travelling, and a driving licence is desirable
Our values are key to us and the role
- You can grow trust within the team that allows effective communication and teamwork.
- You are an innovator that doesn’t want to settle for the normal.
- You are a proactive enabler that makes things happen.
- You are committed to protecting a sustainable world and protecting it for others.
- You will create an environment to grow and learn yourself but also mentor others.
It’s an amazing opportunity to work with an ambitious and passionate team. Get paid £50k + share options and to work flexibly while you develop the future of waste to energy. Join our journey early to become influential in WASE and have rapid career development opportunities in line with the company’s rapid growth.
How to Apply
At WASE, equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) are valued across the team, and as part of our non-discriminatory policy, we request all applicants send out non-identifying C.V.s and Cover letters. Personal information is to be included in the personal information and diversity form only.
Please DO NOT mention any of your personal details on your CV and cover letter.
The Application consists of 3 components:
2) Cover letter
3) Personal information & diversity form
Please send the above documents to the email provided.
The documents in your application must be titled as below:
Email subject line: HOE_Q42021
Cover letter: 2_Initials_Cover_Letter
Personal information & diversity form: 3_Initials_Personal_Information_&_Diversity_Form
Incomplete applications or applications not following the required format will not be accepted.
Application deadline: 5pm GMT, 1st December 2021
Interviews week: w/c 6th and 13th December 2021
Joining date: January 2022 (can delay for the right candidate)
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so we highly encourage early applications.
The candidate MUST be based in the UK, meet the eligibility criteria, and have a right to work in the UK. WASE will not bear sponsorship, work visa and/or relocation costs.