Are you a Lead or Principal Data Scientist who is passionate about the application of data science to build market leading software?
Have you been a key part of a team delivering real world ML solutions on a regular cadence?
Do you want to join a successful scale up who have ambitious plans to change the digital consumer experience forever?
Are you ready to take the next step in your career to lead Data Science projects from ideation to commercial reality and build a team of Data Engineers and ML Ops Engineers to do it with you?
We’re looking for a Principal Data Scientist to join our tight-knit and dynamic team at the Mention Me headquarters in Vauxhall, London. Reporting into our CTO, the successful candidate will work to uncover opportunities in the data we gather and use those insights to build predictive models which create business value in our products.
Our award-winning platform gives out rewards worth millions of pounds, serves hundreds of thousands users daily, and collects fascinating information about how people shop and refer through AB tests that our clients run. We want someone who’s keen to apply their data science background in a pragmatic way to real business problems - for example can you help us predict which customers are more or less likely to share, showing which offer will lead to greatest upside for clients or which action should we serve to a given customer to maximise their likelihood to convert?
If you want to be involved in innovative data science products from the ground up in a small team that loves continuous improvement, this role could be perfect for you.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic Principal Data Scientist who will make this role their own and lead by example.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Grappling with large quantities of data of various different classes and uncovering opportunities
- Performing analysis to decide which opportunities are most commercially valuable
- Applying a range of data science techniques and tools to produce and validate proof of concept models
- Presenting and explaining your findings and influencing our product strategy to pursue them
- Working within and exploring the regulatory privacy environment in which we operate
- Working with us to build a team of Data Engineers and ML Ops experts to help turn your ideas into practical solutions that scale
- Driving to a commercial outcome and continuing to optimise once live
- Building our data science competence with thought leadership for clients and internal training of others in the team
You should apply if you:
- Are a first-rate problem-solver with solid experience of applying data science theory in practice
- Have proven track record of leading a team regularly delivering AI / ML powered solutions which are commercially successful
- Are adept at evaluating business value and prioritising product work based on it
- Proven track record of prototyping solutions to quickly answer viability, scalability and complexity or LOE
- Full understanding of what good looks like, both in successful teams, efficient delivery processes and products delivered
- Have an MVP to MLP (Minimum Lovable Product) mindset
- Have great communication and influencing skills
- Are comfortable with the tools and processes of a modern data science environment (ideally including AWS or GCP)
- Have at least an undergraduate degree in Computer or Data Science, Engineering, Maths or a related discipline
- Have the right to work in the UK
Bonus points if you:
- Have prior experience in consumer marketing, online retail, lifetime value modelling or the Martech ecosystem
Here’s why you should join us
We’re big on culture and strive to make Mention Me a great place to work. Here are just some of the reasons to join us.
You can expect:
- A competitive package, plus options in a growing scale-up
- Personal development, including training and conference budgets, a mentoring programme and a personal challenge fund
- 25 days of holiday plus Bank Holidays every year, as well as an extra day off for every year of service
- Company pension scheme
- Enhanced parental leave
- Cycle to work scheme
As well as:
- Recognition and rewards for outstanding work, including the monthly Wheel of Wow, Unsung Hero and termly Founders’ Award for Awesomeness. Prizes include £500 cash, meals out and even trips away
- A work-life balance. We encourage lunch breaks, regularly work from home, and are open to flexible working
- Weekly online yoga classes
- Sessions with a qualified therapist through Spill
- An amazing office, complete with drinks fridge and snacks cupboard
- Regular social events, from chocolate-tasting and pottery-making, to poker nights and picnics
- Subsidised gym memberships and Classpass
We welcome remote Mentioneers. The majority of our team work a hybrid week; 2 days in Vauxhall, London and 3 days remote. We welcome those who are looking for more flexibility as well as those looking to be in the office more regularly.
Diversity, equity and inclusion
We celebrate every Mentioneer, exactly as they are. We don’t shy away from breaking down systemic discrimination in society, or from difficult conversations and decisions. We’re committed to being a force for change.
The same goes for our recruitment. We welcome every application, regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, physical ability, family structure, socioeconomic status, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation or gender identity.