At LabGenius we’re building a platform to discover revolutionary medicines using machine learning. By combining traditional biology with cutting-edge technology, we want to radically improve the drug discovery process and produce more effective therapeutics for people worldwide.
Founded in 2012 by Dr James Field, we’ve been backed by leading investors from the US and Europe, including Atomico, Lux Capital, Obvious Ventures, Felicis Ventures, Kindred Capital, and Backed VC.
We are an international team who love learning and are curious about the world. We have exciting growth plans and are looking for a skilled Senior Scientist to join us on our mission!
You’ll be a pivotal member of the wet lab team - an expert in flow cytometry, with a strong assay development background. You will have experience in industrial drug discovery, particularly in the field of immuno-oncology/ T cell engagers. Whatever your previous experience includes, you’ll inject passion and energy into everything you do. You’ll enjoy multi-disciplinary work, and you’ll have an endless hunger for knowledge, learning, and growth; all the qualities LabGenius celebrates!
What you’ll do in this role.
- You will be responsible for planning, designing and directing complex screening experiments involving multiple methodologies and input from multiple contributors, in addition to running cell killing and potency assays.
- You'll develop cell based assays to characterise novel biotherapeutics derived from our bespoke antibody scaffold libraries. These assays will be both functional to determine potency and biophysical to look at aspects of developability.
- You'll integrate protein characterisation assays into the workflows of the various projects here at LabGenius.
- You'll work closely with the automation engineers and plan strategy for future automation, constantly thinking of new ways to develop and advance our capabilities.
- You'll use your experience to help evaluate targets, design experiments and support project planning.
- You'll analyse data and give expert guidance, both to team members and other functions within the company. Your ability to distil complexity into concise communications will be put to use every day.
- You'll share your knowledge throughout the company and help to train others.
- You'll create materials for communication of data to internal and external clients.
What we’re looking for.
- You’ll have a PhD or relevant industrial experience, with a strong scientific background and extensive practical experience in immuno-oncology/ T cell biology.
- You'll have a wealth of experience in flow cytometry, cell based ELISA, cell viability assays, cell-based screening assays for preclinical drug discovery & functional validation.
- You are aware of the state of the art in laboratory automation with practical experience of running liquid handling robots. You are always looking to develop new ways of automating and standardising science.
- You will be a subject matter expert on cell based assays and how they can support drug discovery. You’ll have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with specialists from your own and other fields (e.g. automation engineers, NGS and data scientists).
- As an experienced mentor, you’ll have a track record of training more junior team members.
- You'll have a working knowledge of biological drug discovery platforms, with experience of antibody drug developability being a distinct advantage.
How you enjoy working.
- You’re comfortable with a rapid pace of work in a dynamic environment.
- You work to the highest standards with high attention to detail; our data needs to be robust so that we can learn from it.
- You’re happiest working in a collaborative context. If you love flying solo, this isn't the right role for you.
- You’re equally comfortable challenging as you are with being challenged.
- You get excited about learning new technologies and approaches.
- You want work to be meaningful and to be part of a business dedicated to having a positive impact on humanity.
Aside from being part of our brilliant, purpose-driven team, you'll also enjoy:
- Flexible working arrangements: whether you’re a night owl or a morning lark, with core hours of 10am-4pm, you can choose a pattern that works for you.
- Easy access to on-site gym and climbing wall to break a sweat or indulge your inner monkey.
- Monthly 1-on-1 coaching from Sanctus: because we need to look after our minds as well as our bodies.
- Self-service study budget via Sunlight plus books, courses, and events; we encourage personal development in any form. Basically, we heart learning.
- Weekly team lunches from City Pantry: the perfect time to connect over kebabs, natter over nachos, or cackle over curry.
- Access to the Cycle To Work scheme: to make your commute cheaper, healthier, and a whole lot greener!
We believe that diversity makes for innovative, exceptional teams.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on gender, race, colour, religion or belief, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
Please make sure you include a cover letter that shows your enthusiasm for this role and for LabGenius' work!