Have you ever fancied building an automation ecosystem to improve laboratory efficiency, accelerate science and help make the world a better place? Five years ago we set out to forever change robotics with Eva, the first low-cost, high-functioning, 6-axis robot arm.
Now, we’re working on the next phase of our plan by accelerating the deployment of Eva into all sorts of verticals, beginning with Life-Sciences laboratories.
We’re designing and building a range of new hardware and software products, deployed as end-to-end automation solutions - LabPods - to free scientists from the tyranny of manual, repetitive tasks.
Join our diverse, fun and committed team as we take on the challenge of shaking up the automation industry over the next decade.
As the first UX designer, you will join the Design team responsible for shaping how our customers and users to program workflows as well as control automation Lab Pods consisting of our robots and other products such as third party equipment. Our robots enable non-technical experts to program the robot through our easy and intuitive low-code platform. We’ve enabled hundreds of our customers, from labs to SME manufacturers, to get value from our robots, and we’d like you to help us in our journey to become a world leader in lab automation.
This role is an individual contributor role initially, with the scope of defining and leading the UX design of the software product in partnership with the Product Manager as the company grows. You will need to be able to influence your teammates, as well as colleagues, stakeholders, and key executives, through your use of user-centric design backed by data and research insights.
Why is this role important for Automata?
As the first UX Designer in our team, you’ll be the leading voice of product design to ensure ease of use of our software products. Your work will directly influence how our users design workflows and interact with the Automata lab automation platform.
- Conduct customer research interviews and shadow customers using the platform, to gain insight into pain points and opportunities.
- Carry out an audit of the current platform, contextualise it against areas of friction for users and develop a strategy to address these shortcomings.
- Design workflows and wireframes to define how users interact with robots and the platform, balancing ease of use with technical feasibility and speed of execution.
- Work collaboratively within a cross-functional team of product managers, front-end and full-stack engineers.
- Make decisions with incomplete information, working autonomously and with accountability for your decisions.
- Conduct usability tests to incorporate user feedback during the design and development process.
- Evangelise good design principles within the company.
- 5+ years of Product Design experience (UX/UI) with a history of designing intuitive software solutions for complex user interaction challenges.
- A strong portfolio demonstrating your understanding of usability heuristics and design principles, execution capabilities, and your approach to communicating design intentions to collaborators
- A demonstrated ability to break down complex problems into strategic, incremental and user-centred solutions that connect to long-term business goals
- Ability to work on 2-3 projects at the same time, from inception (problem discovery) to release and customer iteration on feedback.
- Comfortable working embedded within engineering teams in an agile manner.
- Prior experience with life-science, automation or other technical software/hardware products is not required but of advantage.
- Please include a link to your portfolio in your application. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
Reasons to apply
- Learning & Development 🎓 £1,000 per year to spend as you wish
- Holiday 🏖️ 25 days per year (PLUS we close the office between Christmas and New Year)
- Private Healthcare ❤️ Vitality Health is available to all of our permanent employees
- Flexible working 🤹 Blended approach to office and WFH
- Employee referrals 💰 £1,000 per referral hired from your network
- Share Options Scheme 📈 Every team member gets a pot of stock option after probation
- Keeping you fed 🥙 Our kitchen is always stocked and we order lunch in on Fridays
- Dog-friendly offices 🐶 Lola, Evie and Alfie are the current resident pooches
What is the process?
- Introduction interview - 30min with hiring manager (Remote)
- Online personality assessment - 20min
- 2nd Interview - 40min with Product & Software managers (Remote)
- 3rd Onsite Interview - 1.5hrs Portfolio Review and Workshop with wider team
- Check with Hiring Manager (Remote)
- Final Interview - 30 minutes with CEO (Remote)