Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal.
Founded in 2017, our innovative, technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 200 across 3 locations.
Motorway is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having recently raised £48m in Series B funding from Index Ventures, BMW iVentures and others.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth, build amazing products with a high degree of influence, and help change an industry for the better.
About the job
Are you someone with a passion for DevOps and are looking to help build and be part of a new Platform Engineering team within the Motorway tech org? Motorway is rapidly growing its technology team and business, and we want to provide our developers with the best platform experience — which is where you come in.
We’re in the process of migrating off our Heroku microservices environment and building out a new platform for the future with containers on AWS. Automation and efficiency is an important part of our dev experience and currently all deployments are automated using CI/CD pipelines. Things are working well now, but we want to be able to support future developer and business requirements.
This is an exciting time to join — the team is new and the company growing which presents opportunities to do things “right” to set up success for the org into the future.
What you'll do
- Manage, maintain & support our Heroku & AWS environments and supporting infrastructure.
- Build great tooling for engineering teams.
- Reduce manual work (toil) for the technology team – yourself included! If we can automate it, with a tool or script - let’s do it. Infrastructure as code.
- Own and implement appropriate monitoring & alerting.
- Assist the development teams in using these metrics to ensure the reliability of the platform across all services across all deployments.
- Define service level objectives.
- Own and implement new continuous deployment & release improvements to support Motorways ambitious future plans.
- Keep up to date with best practices in application hosting and continuous deployment.
- Upskill and mentor other engineers in the team.