Founded in 2014 in London, United Kingdom, Garrison has raised more than $50m to date from London investors including Dawn Capital, IP Group, NM Capital and BGF. Garrison’s strengths lie in its experienced and dedicated teams, building on years of expertise in cyber security to bring genuinely game changing technology to the industry.
Garrison is working to build the future of cyber security and is already deploying at scale in both the government and commercial space. Our existing customers are large organisations averaging over 50,000 employees each, across sectors including banking, insurance, media, telco, law and government.
Our working culture
We are an exciting start-up with ground-breaking technology; a very serious mission to solve real world problems, but with a positive and highly inclusive atmosphere, and an excellent work/life balance!
At Garrison we celebrate diversity and inclusion, and we’re focused on continuously improving equality for the benefit of our employees, products and community. We recruit, develop and retain talent purely on the basis of qualifications, merit and business needs.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we take every possible step to ensure that every person employed or seeking employment with us receives fair treatment. No-one shall be disadvantaged on the grounds of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marital and parental status, neurodiversity, social background, physical ability, illness or otherwise.
Our employee benefits package is as follows:
- Flexible working hours and regular working from home
- 25 days holiday allowance per year (with the opportunity to buy or sell up to 5 days)
- Company pension scheme of 8% base salary (depending on employee minimum contribution)
- Personal annual training budget
- Life assurance and critical illness cover
- Share option scheme
- Perkbox discounts and freebies – free coffee, free cinema tickets, and lots more
- Bike to work scheme and an interest-free season ticket loans
- Regular socials – games nights, open air cinema, quiz nights and company picnic are all recent!
Overview of the role
As a Test Automation Engineer at Garrison, you will be instrumental in improving the test workflows, practices and processes employed by the User Experience engineering team and working as part of the team to embed test automation throughout the development lifecycle, directly influencing the efficiency and success of the wider Engineering department.
The User Experience team’s technology stack ranges from low-level embedded software to mobile and desktop applications, including bespoke versions of the Android OS and Chromium browser, and you will have the opportunity to work with talented engineers in each of these areas, learning about the technology and applying your core skills and experience in automation to those environments.
You will focus on developing, maintaining, and running new and existing automated tests and reporting product testing status, as well as developing tools, methods and infrastructure to make our test practices as effective and efficient as possible. You will research new technologies and bring this research into the team to help to grow our capability in automation across the full range of the User Experience technology stack.
Garrison has a challenging, supportive and fast-moving working environment with a huge opportunity to learn about different technologies, develop new skills and set out on a range of career paths.
Test capability development
- Improving and developing test frameworks and reusable test components for unit, integration and end-to-end testing of the Garrison solution components owned by the User Experience team.
- Enabling User Experience engineers at Garrison to effectively test new features by providing software tools and interfaces and providing support in their test development.
- Expanding coverage of automated tests, improving the quality of test outcomes and reducing reliance on manual testing.
- Designing and developing new software to further enhance our integration and test capabilities across our unique technology stack.
- Generate test reports that show trends and coverage over time.
- Investigating new technologies and performing rapid prototyping to support technical de-risking and discover new opportunities for test improvements.
- Researching and integrating third-party solutions for the team’s needs.
- Promoting a “Testing mindset” and accelerating the adoption of new tools, workflows and best practices across new and existing projects.
- Coordinating User Experience team automation and test with multiple teams at Garrison.
Quality and Security assurance
- Assuring the quality of the product by working with developers to ensure new features are properly tested, and that the product doesn’t suffer from regressions.
- Assuring the security of the product by writing appropriate security tests (where applicable) and by monitoring potential vulnerabilities in upstream dependencies.
Skills and Experience
You’ll be perfect for the role if you have the following
- You will have demonstrable experience of scripting, automation and testing, and have a track record of picking up and working with different technologies.
- Experience of developing test tools and automated tests that are used to verify and validate product features prior to release and are run during continuous integration pipelines.
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary engineering team, with a passion for improving engineering workflows and quality, working across teams to embed automation and rapid feedback into engineering practices.
- Designing, developing and automating test cases.
- Automated testing of desktop applications (Windows & Linux).
- Automated testing of mobile apps (Android & iOS).
- Experience of testing single page applications and REST APIs.
- Familiar with at least 1 container solution (e.g. Docker & Windows containers).
- Familiar with software development in both Linux and Windows operating systems.
- Experience with scripting across platforms, e.g. Python, Bash, PowerShell.
- Understanding of a wide range of development tools and technologies, including issue trackers, IDEs, source control systems, continuous integration tools etc.
- Understanding the different types of tests that should be run at different points in the development cycle (e.g. unit, component, integration, end to end).
And experience in these areas would be a massive bonus (but don’t worry if you’ve not covered these yet!)
- Knowledge of a compiled object-oriented programming language such as C++ or Java/Kotlin.
- TDD & BDD.