At Essentia, we’re a friendly bunch of ex-fund managers, neuroscientists, quants, and engineers who are breaking new ground in the application of behavioural science to financial markets.
We enable our clients - investment professionals, portfolio managers, and fund managers - to bring together rich data about their behaviour and thought-process, which we turn into compelling, actionable visualisations and insights. They then use this information to make better investment decisions, and ultimately, improve their fund performance.
Here’s a 1.5-minute video by our CEO, explaining what we do.
The company and our team have won numerous awards and have been featured widely in the press. We have just recently won the best buy-side tech award and also placed in the Top 15 on UK's Best Workplaces in Tech 2021 Small.
Essentia has a very strong culture, based on authenticity and mutual respect. We have embraced flexible working since day one, and therefore place a high value on clear and timely communication. We are proud that our team includes people from a wide variety of ethnicities, age groups, genders, backgrounds, and interests.
We’re growing our team. We'd love you to join us!
You can learn more about Essentia at www.essentia-analytics.com and by finding us on Twitter (@essentia_ai) and LinkedIn.
Essentia Analytics is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind: We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Essentia Analytics are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. We encourage applicants of all ages
We are looking for an experienced Python Developer who wishes to play a strong contributing role in the design and feature development in a predominantly Python/AWS environment and who is capable of strong individual contribution within a team of developers on their way to becoming engineers. The product is a mixed usage platform used by both external clients and internal coaches through cloud-based web UX as well as internal researchers through data, CLI, and IDE tools.
The functional emphasis in this role would be with respect to developing and maintaining products and features in our platform using development best practices and Agile methodologies, connecting the research libraries to the web UX, and working to implement an intuitive "infographic" interface for rapid understanding of behavioural biases. Whilst also providing an element of coaching and support to our less experienced developers and helping each other develop themselves. All technical staff at Essentia analytics also have some support and DevOps responsibility, so experience in such a role is also helpful, especially on AWS.
This position would suit someone with 4+ years of experience developing systems using best practices and Agile methodologies, who might be looking to "escape into start-up" and be a significant contributor within a small development team.
You will have the following responsibilities as part of this role:
- Developing new features and products to form the backbone of the Essentia Analytics product portfolio.
- Designing and developing the next iteration of our AWS cloud-based infrastructure and development pipeline.
- Onboarding new clients' data onto the system and working to continually improve the process through automation, scale-out, and AI/ML.
- Participation in planning and product processes as required for development processes
- Support and maintenance of production systems
Do you have these skills and experiences to draw on?
- Working with Python particularly Pandas, ETL, NumPy and SciPy
- Development and delivery of a full-stack environment on AWS
- eXtreme Programming experience, specifically:
- Well-practiced TDD or BDD habits
- Continuous Delivery experience
- Paired Programming experience
- Non-XP agile experience:
- Kanban / Sprints
- Practical support and provisioning of a live system, preferably DevOps
- Whole-system development and support experience (i.e. it's not just about writing the code but running the system, too)
- Skeptical approach to new technologies, solutions, practices and processes
Whilst not required, the following experience will be helpful in the role:
- Knowledge of Apache Airflow
- Familiarity with functional programming
- Delivery and support of system to non-development programmers - i.e. one where scripts or code was being written in an exploratory manner by non-professional developers to run within a platform (e.g. quants, spreadsheeters, researchers)
- Finance experience, particularly hedge-funds or asset management
- Large, mixed schema data set management
- Experience of taking care of highly secure, encrypted data systems
We can only accept people who have the right to work in the UK.
If you think this is a great description of you, we'd love to hear from you! Please send your CV, with a cover letter that explains why you think you're the right person for the role.