At tiney, our mission is to unlock the potential of every child. We're here to give children the best start in life - providing an amazing early years education during the most high impact and formative stages of a child's development.
tiney is a marketplace platform that enables people to open their own home nurseries. We're an experienced founding team, with backing from top European investors including Local Globe and Index Ventures.
We have global ambitions and firmly believe that exceptional tech/product execution is key. Our vision is to make the entire customer experience of choosing and buying childcare to be as seamless, joyful and safe as modern digital consumers have come to expect.
We're at an exciting stage of growth — we've over 200 registered home nurseries across London and the South East; we're processing over £3M per annum of childcare payments through our platform, and that's growing 20% month on month. We've just launched a pilot in Greater Manchester, proving our ability to scale the operations into wider geographies. We believe we have a truly exciting business model with real revenues and a clear path to profitability.
Childcare is a famously hard problem to solve, but at tiney we believe our unique team, business model and regulatory/market conditions make us the ideal candidates to crack this. Now's an amazing time to join us on this journey.
How we work
- We're a tight-knit product team that works together to learn, solve problems, and ship great tools for our users
- We work collaboratively across the company, staying close to other members of the team to understand their needs
- As a marketplace, we need to build great solutions for different people. So it's vital we do our research into what makes a brilliant childminder and a happy parent.
- We work in short, focussed cycles taking a project through from design and prototype, to the final build. We'll regularly organise retrospectives to understand whether we built the right thing and keep iterating.
- Our tech stack covers React, React Native and NodeJS, all written in TypeScript and deployed serverlessly on GCP. We care about building reliable, scalable systems that we can take pride in and allow us to keep moving quickly.
- We believe in the power of great data, and use Dataform, BigQuery and Looker to provide timely insights to the business.
- We've built separate native and web component libraries with cross platform shared types, networking and state, unblocking engineers across the team to deliver end-to-end features independently.
- We're remote first, centred around London where we have a small office. We have team members in London, Birmingham, Yorkshire, Hampshire and even Sydney.
You'll be joining our Payments Team, helping us scale our payments infrastructure to scale to cope with £millions of childcare payments each week. Our app handles all the payments for our childminders, and making sure they get paid accurately and on time is among the most mission critical parts of this business.
The payments stack is already in a great state -- we work with industry leading, API-first banking partners, and are licensed with the FCA to issue e-money accounts for our customers -- but we have loads to do to continue to scale this to meet the growing needs of our customers and the business.
- We're looking for people who are product engineers who love to develop a deep understanding of the user you're building for. We think empathy and ability to listen are key skills for building a brilliant product.
- You should have several years experience shipping products, honing your craft and be ready to hit the ground running. Previous experience in a start-up or fast moving agency would be perfect. Equally, we understand that this is a difficult world to break into and we'll review any application on merit.
- You don't need previous experience with our tech stack, or with payments specifically, and we value different expertise and backgrounds. But we would love to hear about how you design and plan systems, plus how you ensure they're reliable and scalable once built.
- Appreciation for our mission and the work we do is important. We're from a variety of different industrial backgrounds (most of us don't come from the education sector), but all of us love to see the impact our work has on children's lives.
Logistics & Benefits
- We're a remote-first company, but we occasionally have in-person meetings in our London office - so being able to travel from time-to-time is important.
- Up to £75k base (based on your experience and capability) with EMI stock options so that you own part of tiney.
- The right kit for the job, including the latest MacBook Pro, second monitor, mouse/keyboard and budget towards a chair and desk.
- 28 days holiday, Life Insurance, Mental Health support, monthly socials and much more!
- 30 minutes video call with Edd our CTO - this will be a general interview covering your CV and experience, with a few technical questions related to your CV, and an opportunity to ask questions about the role
- A 1-2 hour take home task in the form of a system-design challenge
- 1 hour technical interview with an engineering and a product manager, where we'll talk through your system-design thoughts
- 30 mins informal interview/coffee with another one of our engineers (an opportunity to ask them lots of questions!)
- Coffee with Brett our CEO
💜 Our commitment to diversity
A child who wants to learn doesn't care about gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, or any of the other things that sometimes divide, and neither do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes us stronger and gives us all a better chance of unlocking the potential of every child.
We have a wonderful internal Diversity and Inclusion Advisor, Taz, who's our critical friend - she's making sure we're creating the most inclusive and fair recruitment process. We're aware that some candidates (especially people from minority backgrounds) tend to only apply for jobs if they feel they meet all or more of the criteria - but we want to give an equal opportunity to everyone, so even if you don't meet everything on this list but think you'd be a good fit for the role, please do apply.