We are looking for a talented and dedicated Backend Squad Lead (Crypto) to help us build out a world beating feature set. As Backend Squad Lead of our new crypto team you’ll be responsible for developing new features and services to help us continue to deliver a great product to our customers that helps our company and their money grow. In this role, you should be an excellent communicator who is able to translate complex requirements into functional architecture. We’d also like you to have hands-on experience on software development and be able to manage and understand our monolith and more importantly embrace our engineering values.
What you can expect to be doing:
You will be working closely with the ExCo, ELT, Product, Operations, Marketing and Finance teams to scope out new features, drive the development of new API capabilities and own their delivery. You will be expected to take responsibility for creating the delivery roadmap for all features being built by your team and be able to provide regular delivery updates on features to non-technical staff. You will work with stakeholders across this business to coordinate feature rollout. You will identify risks and dependencies to feature delivery, providing mitigation options wherever possible. You will also work closely with our Head of Engineering on making architectural decisions both from an application and infrastructure standpoint. Thought leadership and an ability to make sure that technical discussions do not stagnate is key within this role. Leading by example in the development of proof of concepts and managing a team of experienced engineers will be a regular component of this role as well as being involved in show & tell sessions with the goal of helping enable not just the engineers but the whole company in understanding what it is to be an engineer at Chip. You will also be expected to work closely with our Head of Talent in recruiting into our teams when required.
What we’re looking for:
- Proven Experience leading high performance engineering teams
- You are a passionate expert on the world of crypto and everything to do with it like blockchain, yield farming and stable coin staking.
- A strong people manager who can develop and manage the skills and performance of all team members
- Strong communicator who can lead technical discussions at all levels and able to explain a complex technical issue to someone non technical
- Programming language experience in PHP with an interest to learn GO
- Experience with a PHP framework such as Laravel or symfony
- Strong understanding of design patterns (bus, repository, decorator, etc)
- Strong understanding of mutable vs immutable databases
- Experience with manipulating data structures and performing performance audits of codebase and database.
- Development locally with Containers (Docker) through to production.
- Strong understanding of branching strategies and where best to use them.
- An understanding of Microservice architecture and how to develop micro services.
- Team player who will be committed to the cause, can be flexible, reliable and responsible, active listener, will keep your team informed and always at hand to support and respect others
- Role model who can represent and promote Chip within the wider community
What we’re really looking for: ✍️
Someone with a genuine interest in Chip and is excited about being part of a fast-growing company and our mission to build the best savings account in the world.
Although we’re in the financial space, and under the scrutiny that comes with it, the current engineering team works well together, and even sometimes with a smile. We’re sure you’ve got the technical skills, otherwise you would have stopped reading by now, so let us be clear on what will make us want to work with you.
We want a real person, with interests outside of work, to join our team. You could be a dancer, a gamer, a musician, a parent, a hockey fan, or even that one person that still writes Twilight fan-fiction. Doesn’t matter to us.
At the interview stages we will be looking for empathy, eq, fun stories, and ability to smile even when things are tough.
- £80,000 - £90,000 per annum dependant on experience
- Share option scheme.
- Workplace pension scheme (Employer: 3% / Employee: 4% / Tax Relief: 1% / Total: 8%)
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity
- Flexible working arrangements
- Unlimited holiday (28 days contracted but policy not to count) ✈️
- Annual £1500 Personal Learning Allowance
- Free Classpass membership or gym membership
- Company laptop
- Opportunity to have a huge impact on our product while fast-tracking your knowledge, responsibility and skills in a high growth fintech startup.
Our Interview process: 📖
- Video Interview with someone from our Talent team
- Technical Interview with one of our Squad Leads
- Video interview with our Head's of Engineering
- Final Interview with our CTO
Note to Agencies
Chip does not accept unsolicited CVs from recruiters or employment agencies in response to any of our live roles on our career page. Chip will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee relating to these unsolicited CVs. Chip explicitly reserves the right to hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited CVs, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Chip.