Location: Remote (UK-only)
Application deadline: Rolling
About Tandem (www.ridetandem.co.uk)
Tandem is building the world’s most flexible transport solution.
Traditional public transport – especially buses – have steadily gotten worse over the last decade. In many places, if you don’t have a car, you might find it difficult to get to work, access healthcare, or get to the supermarket.
While almost all transport technology companies focus exclusively on huge cities like London, New York or Berlin, Tandem is the first technology company focused on directly improving transport options for people living in towns and small cities.
Tandem’s tech-enabled partnerships with local taxi, minibus and coach companies offer a uniquely flexible alternative, providing employers, local governments and others with bespoke transport solutions that also do good in the world. By making it easier for our passengers to share their commutes and other journeys, we’re reducing the number of cars on the road, and enabling more than £1m of wages every month for our passengers.
As a fast-growing start up, no two days at Tandem are the same. We’re committed to making transport better for everyone, and we’re working towards that goal by creating user-friendly tech, providing world-class customer service and helping get people to where they need to be, every single day.
Tandem has been founded by three experienced co-founders and is backed by leading VCs and grantmakers like the European Space Agency.
About the role:
We’re looking for a Software Engineer to join our product team. You will work with our small but talented team of engineers building new features and maintaining our Rider and Driver mobile apps, web application and backend API. You will have the opportunity to work across the whole software development lifecycle; from conception to deployment.
You will be joining a rapidly growing company (10x growth last year) and will have the unique opportunity to learn from the technological and product challenges that come with scaling a company.
- Assisting the product team with delivery of new product features working across the front and back end.
- Responding to internal support requests; troubleshooting, testing and validating platform issues.
- Produce high-quality code (readable, maintainable, tested) and take ownership of product features.
- Interact with the rest of the company and our users to take a cross-functional approach to building new features.
- Ensure standards and best practices (around performance, security, usability) are recognised understood and followed.
- You enjoy being part of a small team solving meaningful problems and are motivated by our purpose and mission
- You have 2+ years commercial experience working in a software development team
- You are passionate about technology and motivated to learn new technologies
- You’re comfortable working in an Agile delivery environment in an early stage startup; dealing with a degree of ambiguity and lots of moving parts
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
Working at Tandem:
What we offer:
- 28 days per year annual leave plus bank holidays
- A pension scheme with employer contribution
- The chance to be part of a meaningful challenge and to see the impact of your work;
- Real responsibility from the start
- Working with a motivated, fast-growing team that is driven by a passion for positive social impact;
- Salary of up to £45,000 plus access to our options scheme (so you own a bit of the company too)
We’re building our team to be ‘remote-first’. Our team is based across different parts of the country (and the world), so whilst we’ll speak every day (often multiple times!) – you should feel confident working solo.
Note: for those who would like occasional in-person co-working, members of the team based in or around London have the option of working together from a shared co-working space 1-2 times a week.
How to apply:
If you’re interested in working with us, please submit your CV and a cover letter outlining your interest in and suitability for the role.
We can only accept applicants that have the right to work in the UK.
If you have any questions – please get in touch and we’ll be happy to help!
We’re an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive team. We really do want applications from a range of candidates. If you can do most of the above, but you’ve got a nagging doubt that it’s not quite everything - please do go ahead and apply. We can’t promise we’ll hire you, but if you explain why you’re a great candidate - we promise to consider your application carefully.