Higher education is being rapidly disrupted by digitisation & globalisation. At the same time, industries are evolving and increasing demand for up-to-date digital, technical, & digital skills. As a result we are all transforming into lifelong learners, looking to upskill, reskill or entertain ourselves via effective educational content that provides quality, credentialed and recognised outcomes. In emerging markets the internet is accelerating this trend and opening up access to educational products from universities or institutions thousands of miles away, where previously cost, travel or admission requirements would have made study impossible. FutureLearn was founded in 2012 by the Open University, with the purpose of channeling these trends and transforming access to lifelong education.
As part of FutureLearn you will be able to work within a stimulating, multidisciplinary, inclusive and diverse working environment that promotes collaboration, teamwork (AGILE framework), personal initiatives and career growth.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are currently looking to recruit an experienced Data Analyst - Product into the BI / Analyst team. In this integral role, you will be working with your peers to ensure the accuracy and consistency of data, create customer and operational insights and provide impactful visualisations to inform business decisions across our internal product teams.
Specifically, your main objectives will be to understand and facilitate the data needs of the various product teams through data analysis, tagging / tracking of product features, supporting A/B testing and App development. Developing and maintaining dashboards and ad hoc reports to inform and help Product and Senior leadership track ongoing performance. For this you will need to explore and analyse our data sets with a focus on areas such as customer behaviour and engagement, ensuring we have a deep understanding of the complete online customer journey and their life-time value. You will also drive our understanding of course page performances and support the business with recommendations to improve our course portfolio and product development.
You will play an important part in improving our data models by defining new dimensions and measures to fulfil business requirements and make dashboards and self-service easy to use, ensuring our governance around naming conventions, data dictionaries and processes are resulting in our Looker self-serve offering being scalable, insightful and efficient.
The ideal candidate will have strong analytical acumen and experience working with large and diverse data sets in a cloud environment, an understanding of the mechanics of working in a product environment and excellent communication skills to be able to build relationships with key stakeholders across teams. They will have the ability to perform analysis with scientific methods and derive meaningful insights from raw data before presenting the findings back to the intended audiences in the most appropriate format to drive engagement.
FutureLearn has made significant investments into its data pipeline to enable fast, easy and scalable access to our data. Our core data stack consists of Stitch/ Meltano, Snowflake, dbt, Looker and Google Analytics.
The BI / Analyst team sits in the Data & Analytics Department and works alongside the Data Scientists and Data Engineers.
• 3+ years experience working as a Data Analyst, conducting independent analyses and dashboard development, preferably embedded or working closely with the Product function
• Degree educated in a quantitative field (Engineering, Math, Science, Computer Science, Economics or similar)
• Strong problem-solving ability and experience with using data analysis to identify patterns and trends and generate insights
• Excellent visualisation skills and experience with standard visualisation packages, ideally Looker and LookML skills
• Strong SQL skills, experience with dbt would be an advantage
• Commercially-minded with experience in developing and interpreting insights from raw data and translating findings into business relevant reports
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills; able to interact and engage with all areas of the business.
• Strong stakeholder management with experience in negotiating timelines, prioritising tasks and working to deadlines
• Experience with web analytics packages, especially Google Analytics and Google Tag manager (or willingness to learn)
• Experience in efficiently interacting and working with Product teams to elicit and standardise KPIs to facilitate and support their decision-making
● Competitive salary based on experience and qualification
● 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
● Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
● Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
● Cycle to work scheme, and showers & secure bike parking in the office
● Season Ticket loan
● Flexible working environment/hours
● Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
● OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
● Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast (once remote working is over)
● Personal training budget
FutureLearn is a leading social learning platform with over 16 million users globally. FutureLearn uses design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible short online courses, microcredentials, as well as undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, with a strong social learning USP. It partners with over a quarter of the world’s top universities, as well as organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, Raspberry Pi and Health Education England. It’s also involved in government-backed initiatives to address skills gaps such as The Institute of Coding and the National Centre for Computing Education.
FutureLearners live and breathe the company values and have a strong connection with our purpose, to transform access to education. We offer lots of flexibility, competitive benefits and a cool work environment. At FutureLearn, we look after each other.
Please use our online form by pressing 'Apply for this job' below, including your CV and a cover letter telling us why you'd like to come work with us.
Please contact email@example.com if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
We can't wait to meet you!
We value all the great benefits that diversity brings and encourage everyone to bring their whole self at work, regardless of gender, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or disability.
We encourage freelancers and people who have been made redundant as a result of COVID-19 to apply for opportunities at FutureLearn. We believe that in these difficult times, good employers have to rise to the occasion and play their part in the community. At FutureLearn, we take care of each other.