About Alta Flora
Alta Flora is on a mission to make healthcare research more open and inclusive by supporting medical research in under-funded and under-resourced areas including un-patentable drug research. Our vision is for any team conducting medical research, anywhere in the world, to have access to low-cost, high-quality data collection tools. Our aim is to provide a robust way to collate patient reported measures, connected device data and biomarkers.
We're building a platform to enable research groups to conduct low-cost research projects via our mobile app Eva and a web platform for research teams. We are working with early clients on projects investigating chronic pain, mental health and long COVID amongst others, including through the use of innovative medicines such as the medical cannabinoids and psychedelics.
We’re based in London (Kings Cross area) however, we’re a remote-work friendly business. We are committed to being an inclusive employer, offer a number of flexible working arrangements, meet in person to collaborate and are also happy to consider new ideas. For example we have unlimited, untracked holiday, had team members working in Leipzig and Costa Rica over the summer—and shifted working patterns to help manage childcare.
Our current team has an average of 14 years of experience across a diverse range of industries; technology, science, NGO work and law. We also have kids, elderly relatives, and lives that often need us much more than our jobs. We aim to create an open and collaborative working environment and encourage our team to maintain a balance in their individual lifestyles.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for someone with a background in building Mobile and Web Applications. The ideal candidate would be a full stack engineer with a breadth of experience building different products using different frontend and backend technologies.
We are looking for a creative problem solver who can bring more than their software development skills to the team. Alta Flora is an early stage business and we need people with diverse life experiences to help shape our culture. Empathy and understanding with colleagues and customers is something we value very highly.
As a small team, we have a flexible but lean approach to product process (agile principles, project management tooling, etc) and will value your experience in this area. We encourage everyone to feel comfortable and confident as an independent decision maker within the team.
The section below is a rough guide - if you vary from this but feel you have something to offer us at Alta Flora please get in touch. We’re looking for people who are avid learners. We’re early adopters of any technology that can help use deliver our product and we’re not afraid to change and to up-skill the entire team in a new area.
What are we looking for in a candidate?:
- UK based, to be available to meetup in person to collaborate when that is best
- 5+ years hands on experience in building, scaling and maintaining production applications, and know how to compose great frontends with accompanying backend service APIs
- You write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers.
- Ability to review code developed by other engineers and provide feedback to ensure best practices are applied for increased quality (e.g. design techniques and patterns, style guidelines, checking code in, accuracy, testability, and efficiency)
- Ability to contribute to automated CI/CD pipelines to deploy to production and other environments
- You have 2+ Years experience with Flutter. Understanding of state management; we use bloc.
- Interest in hiring and mentoring other team members.
- Someone who enjoys the environment of an early stage startup.
Other things we view positively:
- Any examples of published apps, or apps created as personal projects
- Any completely non-tech, non-startup experience.
- You have gone through a rapid growth in your company (from startup to mid-size).
What will you do at Alta Flora?:
- Build new mobile and web applications
- Design scalable systems to solve novel problems with modern cloud technology and industry best practices.
- Work with engineers, designers, product managers and senior leadership to turn our product and technical vision into real applications.
- Write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers.
Technologies we use (currently):
- TypeScript, Python, Node.js, Dart
- Frontend: Flutter with bloc for state management.
- GCP: Firebase, BiqQuery, MongoDB, Google pub/sub
- CloudRun, API Gateway
- CI/CD: Github actions and fastlane
- Microservices, OpenAPI, CQRS, gRPC, Containers
What can we offer you?
- A job where team culture and quality of life always come first.
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Equipment you need for the engineering you do or BYOD (we are environmentally conscious too) so it's your choice.
- Opportunities for continued learning and self-development, including courses, conferences and book budget.
- Equity in the business (based on your experience).
- Unlimited holiday (we don't even track it).
- Pension Scheme.
Note: Salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data.