Location: Ideally office-based (SW6, London) OR Remote within a 2 hour time zone of UK
Contract: Full-time, permanent
Adzuna is a job search engine that lists every job, everywhere. From launch in the UK in 2011, we now have more than 10 million visitors a month and are busy conquering the world from our office in West London. This is a rare and exciting opportunity to join one of the UK’s most dynamic and fastest-growing startups.
We’re looking for a Perl developer to help us make job search better. This is a rare and exciting opportunity to be a part of the ongoing development and rapid growth of the Adzuna job search engine in one of the UK’s most dynamic and fastest-growing startups.
Our infrastructure is built around industry-standard open-source tools and runs on distributed clusters. You will be an important member of our small, experienced team that oversees all aspects of our operations, ranging from powering our international websites, aggregating jobs from thousands of external sources, to crunching job market data to power our statistics and applying machine learning algorithms to enhance job seekers’ experience.
Our tech team operates within a fast-moving, low-structure environment and at Adzuna you will have the opportunity to work both independently and collaboratively, learning from our senior technical team on a range of projects across our suite of products. As you develop your skills, you will have the opportunity to help shape our technical direction and processes as we grow. Developing an appreciation of the ‘DevOps’ movement is useful as we manage and monitor the systems ourselves. You will also need to build an understanding of the importance of building structured code that is fast, scalable, testable, reliable and robust.
The types of projects you will work on will include new search features, relevancy and matching algorithms, APIs and ‘big data’ analysis, reporting tools and features to enhance the job search experience on Adzuna and to accommodate the requirements of a wide partner network. In this role you will use commonly used dev and communication tools such as jira, bitbucket and slack to facilitate the development process.
We offer a fun and supportive working environment, with an emphasis on team-working, mentoring and training. Adzuna is an exciting high-growth business where you can make a huge difference, with a market competitive package including stock options.
We are open to someone either working in a partially remote role with 3 days per week in our great West London location where you can take advantage of our jam-packed social calendar or working fully remotely within a 2 hour time difference of London.
In this role you will:
- Partner with other developers and data scientists to improve existing systems and develop new functionality and tools
- Analyse business and technical requirements and develop solutions, taking into account various aspects, such as performance, scalability, ease of maintenance and cost.
- Help refactor existing processes and workflows to improve efficiency
- Participate in R&D of new technology trends and tools
We don't like to put people in boxes, but you're likely to be able to demonstrate much of the below:
- 3+ years with high-volume/high-traffic applications/sites
- Good knowledge of Object-Oriented Perl, preferably including Moose
- SQL (ideally MySQL) and DBIx::Class
- Experience with unit and functional testing (Test::More etc.)
- Experience with Unix/Linux
- Solid understanding of application data flow and lifecycles
- Strong attention to detail
- Comfortable working within a distributed and remote team
Useful extra skills / experience
We would also be really interested in some of the following skills:
- Solr, Lucene, ElasticSearch or other search engine
- Templating frameworks (ideally Template Toolkit)
- Classified ads / vertical search websites
- Varnish, nginx, PSGI/Plack, Apache httpd, FastCGI
- Web-crawling technology
- Cloud infrastructure and tools (AWS preferred)
- Chef (pref), Puppet or an equivalent
- Gearman or other distributed queueing/messaging frameworks
- Unicode and internationalisation
- Machine learning / neural nets
- Reward: We offer a competitive financial package which includes competitive salary, stock options, a contributory pension scheme and Perks at Work.
- Wellbeing: We take the wellbeing of our employees seriously and have taken every step possible to protect the health and wellbeing of our people during COVID-19. Amongst other things, we offer healthcare through Babylon Health, access to free counselling and a programme of wellbeing activities and events. We have a flexible working policy and during COVID-19, for the foreseeable, no one is expected back in the office unless they choose to attend. We also run regular wellbeing workshops, offer enhanced maternity and paternity leave because we welcome people with families, and 25 days paid holiday per year
- Training: Through our Adzuna Academy training programme, attending (virtual) conferences, team training budgets, individual development plans and coaching from experienced and supportive peers and managers.
- Fun stuff: An environment that is thoughtfully designed to allow for work and play including (when we’re not restricted by COVID-19) a roof terrace, bar and table tennis. We have a packed social calendar, twice annual global team get-togethers and an enviable culture thanks to the amazing and smart people who make Adzuna a great place to work. Much of this is all done remotely at the moment of course - even during COVID-19 we are still managing to have a lot of fun ‘together’ thanks to our great Social Committee.
A bit more about Adzuna
Adzuna is a smarter, more transparent job search engine used by tens of millions of visitors per month. We love using the awesome power of technology to bring together every job in one place, help match people to better, more fulfilling jobs and keep Britain working.
Adzuna.co.uk is a 100 person business operating across 20 territories and was founded in 2011 by Andrew Hunter and Doug Monro, formerly of eBay, Gumtree, Qype and Zoopla.
We are backed by leading Venture Capital firms Passion Capital, LocalGlobe, Index Ventures and Smedvig Capital.
We’ve spent a decade developing smarter, more transparent job search so jobseekers worldwide (we’re in 20 countries) can zero in on the right role faster.
We also supply real-time data to the Number 10 Dashboard and Office for National Statistics labour market indices. In 2018, Adzuna won the contract to run Find a job, one of the British government’s most used online services.
We treat jobseekers as people not as products. We do the same for our team, seeing the diverse range of strengths they bring to our business. Regardless of background, race, gender, sexuality or ability, we welcome everyone to our team. Our people are the most important asset we have.
Please let us know if we need to accommodate a disability during the hiring process, so that we can give you the support you need.
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme.