At Oxford Quantum Circuits (OQC) we are building quantum computers to enable life-changing discoveries: from new drug modelisation to longer-lasting battery technology and portfolio optimisation. We have launched Europe’s first Quantum Computing as a Service (QCaaS) – to bring quantum to our customers’ fingertips and help them improve their operations and trailblaze new commercial and scientific approaches.
Our team is composed of 45 + people with various backgrounds in quantum physics, nanotechnologies, hardware, software and business operations from marketing to intellectual property. We are all bound by the desire to put OQC at the forefront of the quantum revolution and help solve some of the world’s most challenging problems.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Financial Controller to join our team and lead the finance function for the company. Working closely with our team of Executives you will be responsible to lay the financial foundation for their next phase of growth, including preparing for their first audit. This is a varied and hands-on-role and you will be an integral part of the team to ensure timely execution of all required management reports and analysis.
- Key member of the team responsible for all aspects of the finance function
- Oversee the management of a growing transactional finance team
- Provide training, 1-1s and reviews for newly recruited team members
- Ensure accuracy of GL postings and integrity of balance sheet and related controls
- Maintain efficient processes and a robust control environment to ensure the accuracy and completeness of financial information
- Review existing financial & procurement processes to improve provision of timely and accurate Financial & Management information
- Review Monthly Management Accounts for accuracy
- Prepare monthly commentaries on key variances (budget/forecast)
- Prepare and manage the annual Budget
- Prepare and manage Forecasts (BS, P&L & Cashflow) in conjunction with other teams
- Manage the preparation of Board financial presentations ensuring that the strategy is properly articulated in conjunction with the Executive team
- Lead contact for tax related matters including Corporation Tax, VAT, PAYE, Pension and Shares
- Assist with providing financial information for fundraising rounds including accurate treatment of financial instruments such as convertible loan notes and leases
- Adhere to the company financial policies, procedures & values
- Suggest changes or improvements to increase accuracy, efficiency, and cost reductions
- Driving the strategy and collating the information required for R&D tax credits
- Managing new & existing relationships with Asset Finance companies
- Liaising with Tax Advisors and external Accountants in relation to Statutory Accounts
- Responsible for Payroll & Benefits function (currently outsourced)
We offer competitive remuneration based on experience.
We also offer multiple benefits, from private medical insurance to Employee Assistance Cash Plan, from cycle to work to gym and fitness memberships. All our employees also participate in our ESOP. For more info, visit our website.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
You must have the right to work in the UK (unfortunately, we will not be able to sponsor visas)
- Qualified Chartered Accountant
- Experienced finance professional with a minimum of 5+ years in a managerial capacity
- Excellent knowledge of Google Workspace, particularly integration between Google Sheets & Excel
- Self-motivated and focused with the ability to work proactively dealing with issues
- Very strong organisational and prioritisation skills. Ability to work under pressure and ensure deadlines are met
- Business partnering & strategic skills - ability to challenge and influence at senior levels
- Able to build relationships across all levels of the organisation and work in a team environment
- Great flexibility and resilience with ability to adapt and work effectively
- Good knowledge of Payroll & Benefits
- Logical approach to problem-solving. Strong analytical mindset
- Strong systems/processes background
- Continuous improvement mindset
LOCATION & TRAVEL
OQC’s office is located in Shinfield, Reading. There may be a requirement for occasional travel throughout the UK and elsewhere abroad for careers fairs.
As part of our application process we ask that you also provide us with a cover letter outlining why you think you would be a good fit for the role and what attracts you to OQC. Applications without a cover letter including this information will not be considered.
We look forward to hearing from you!
At OQC we are not just hoping you’ll fit in our culture. We aspire to thrive, as a company and as people, thanks to your diversity of thought and background. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to providing our team members with a work environment free from discrimination, where everyone is treated with respect. Our employment decisions are based on business needs, talent and merit and all our colleagues share in the responsibility for fulfilling our commitment to diversity. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, or if you think we can do better with our recruitment process, please contact us.