With over 35 nationalities and a range of backgrounds represented in our Benevolent team, we aim to build an inclusive environment where our people can bring their authentic selves to work, be respected for who they are and the exceptional work they do. We welcome and actively encourage applications from all sections of society and are committed to offering equal employment opportunities regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, disability, age, citizenship, or any other basis. We see our diversity as an asset as we tackle challenging problems that bridge the gap between drug discovery and technology.
You are a senior biomedical scientist with a passion for applying insights from human genomics data analysis to impact drug discovery and clinical development programmes at BenevolentAI. With translational experience in one or more modalities (human genetics, epigenomics, transcriptomics, proteomics), you are somebody who thrives in a multidisciplinary team working at the intersection of biology, data science and drug discovery, based in central London’s knowledge quarter. Applying your experience in human disease biology, you will be responsible for interpreting the output of machine learning analyses of genetics/and or ‘omics data in order to form hypotheses about the causes of disease that can be tested in the lab or the clinic. We have a particular focus on Precision Medicine. In particular, deriving and applying more precise definitions of disease, and discovering medicines tailored to patients in those groups. We derive endotype descriptions from multi-modal data and predict biomarkers to describe them and drug targets to treat them.
The dynamic environment that you will join at BenevolentAI offers many opportunities for a talented, motivated individual to influence the development of our drug discovery programmes and our platform technology. We have a particular focus on deriving and applying more precise definitions of disease, and discovering medicines tailored to patients in those groups. You will be working to make precision medicine a reality alongside Benevolent’s world-class teams of data scientists and biologists, and an international network of external collaborators.
- You will bring expertise in the analysis and interpretation of human genetics and/or ‘omics data (transcriptomics, epigenomics or proteomics) to Benevolent’s precision medicine approaches.
- You will have worked on understanding human disease from a research or clinical perspective.
- Ideally you will have had experience leading a small team or project group within the Pharma/Biotech industry or have worked closely as a lead PI in collaboration with industry.
- You will work as a lead in a cross-functional team comprising specialists in informatics, engineering, AI, drug discovery and product). In these teams, you will apply the latest advances in machine learning to drug discovery and development.
- You will define the scientific and technical problems in delivering precision medicine to develop new solutions within your team, influence a precision medicine approach across the company and be part of collaborative teams with external partners.
- You will drive an approach of ‘clinic first’ to define unmet medical needs in patient-level data and match targets that address that need to existing or new therapeutic agents.
- Development and management of external collaborations
- Management of scientific outputs such as publications.
We are looking for someone with:
- Drive to deliver at the cross-section of AI technology and drug discovery
- Experience of leading a team of PhD level scientists, ideally in an industrial setting
- A commitment to an empirical approach to therapeutic development.
- Creative thinking which enables you to find solutions from cross-disciplinary fields.
- A keen interest in using ‘omics data to answer translatable scientific questions.
- Excellent communicator, both verbal and written, with the ability to influence at all levels and across departments.
- ‘Intellectual courage’ which enables collaboration with experts in fields other than your own.
BenevolentAI unites AI with human expertise to discover new and more effective medicines. Our unique computational R&D platform spans every step of the drug discovery process, powering an in-house pipeline of over 25 drug programmes. We advance our mission to reinvent drug discovery by harnessing the power of a diverse team, rich with different backgrounds, experiences, opinions and personalities. In our offices in London and New York and research facility in Cambridge (UK), we work in highly collaborative, multidisciplinary teams, harnessing skills across biology, chemistry, engineering, AI, machine learning, informatics, precision medicine and drug discovery.
We share a passion for being part of a mission that matters, and we are always looking for curious and collaborative people who share our values and want to be part of our journey. If that sounds like a fit for you, hit the ‘apply’ button and join us.
Want to do a little more research before you apply?Head over to our Glassdoor page to learn about our benefits, culture and to find out what our team think about life at Benevolent. You can also find out more about us on LinkedIn and Twitter.