Infrastructure Engineer, Fulham London OR Remote
Adzuna is a job search engine that lists every job, everywhere. From launch in the UK in 2011, we now have more than 10 million visitors a month and are busy conquering the world from our office in West London. This is a rare and exciting opportunity to join one of the UK’s most dynamic and fastest-growing startups.
The Infrastructure team at Adzuna plays a key role in supporting the business. We are both software developers and system administrators. We handle cloud resources, support our product and engineering team, and keep an eye on security, reliability, performance and costs. At the end of the day we operate and grow our platforms serving an audience of millions of jobseekers and employers from around the globe.
We like to motivate people with autonomy, mastery, and purpose, and we offer an environment where you can make a huge difference. We are open to someone either working from our great West London location where you can take advantage of our jam-packed social calendar or working remotely.
Specific responsibilities include
- Plan, design, implement and review the infrastructure, software and tools that power the Adzuna job finding experience
- Monitor, maintain, test and debug our infrastructure
- Respond to the needs of Adzuna clients and fellow developers
- Safeguard secure development, production environments and practices
- Implement and mentor others on industry best practice
- Document components and operations
We don't like to put people in boxes, but you're likely to be able to demonstrate much of the below:
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- A track record of building and maintaining large infrastructure projects
- Experience with Linux (Debian/Ubuntu preferred).
- Proficiency in one or more configuration management system such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc
- Proficiency in one or more of Perl (preferred), Ruby, Python, C, or Go
- A tenacious ability to debug and fix performance and reliability problems
- Comfortable working with a distributed and remote team
- Have used containers in production.
Desirable skills and experience
- Designing and maintaining infrastructure in AWS
- Using Terraform, Packer, Chef, Jenkins
- Using Nginx, Apache, Varnish, Memcached, message queue systems
- Identifying and fixing MySQL read/write bottlenecks
- Identifying and fixing Solr bottlenecks
- Nomad or kubernetes operations
- Reward: We offer a competitive financial package which includes competitive salary, stock options (we are all owners!) and a contributory pension scheme.
- Wellbeing: Amongst other things, we offer healthcare through Babylon Health; enhanced maternity and paternity leave; 25 days paid holiday per year plus 8 bank holidays; and a full programme of wellbeing activities and events.
- Hybrid working: We are a fully hybrid company - half our workforce are remote. With employees located in different time zones, we embrace asynchronous work and ensure that everything we do reflects the hybrid nature of our workforce so that everyone feels included. We also have a travel programme to help facilitate teamwork across our global teams.
- Flexible working: For those working out of one of our offices (non-remote), we have a flexible working policy which means any full time employee can work from home 2-3 days per week - you can choose your office days. You can also request to work additional days from home.
- Diversity & inclusion: We are committed to hiring a diverse workforce and creating an environment where everyone feels included and welcome. Our D&I committee helps deliver a programme of activities and actions to support this important area of focus.
- Training: Learning and development is an important pillar of our culture and there are plenty of opportunities to learn, develop and grow whether through our Adzuna Academy training programme, attending conferences, team training budgets, individual development plans and coaching from experienced and supportive peers and managers.
- Fun stuff: We have a packed social calendar, twice annual global team get-togethers and an enviable culture thanks to the amazing and smart people who make Adzuna a great place to work. Lots of this is done virtually to ensure that everyone is included.
A bit more about Adzuna
Adzuna is a smarter, more transparent job search engine used by tens of millions of visitors per month. We love using the awesome power of technology to bring together every job in one place, help match people to better, more fulfilling jobs and keep Britain working.
Adzuna.co.uk is a 100 person business operating across 20 territories and was founded in 2011 by Andrew Hunter and Doug Monro, formerly of eBay, Gumtree, Qype and Zoopla.
We are backed by leading Venture Capital firms Passion Capital, LocalGlobe, Index Ventures and Smedvig Capital.
We’ve spent a decade developing smarter, more transparent job search so jobseekers worldwide (we’re in 20 countries) can zero in on the right role faster.
We also supply real-time data to the Number 10 Dashboard and Office for National Statistics labour market indices. In 2018, Adzuna won the contract to run Find a job, one of the British government’s most used online services.
We treat jobseekers as people not as products. We do the same for our team, seeing the diverse range of strengths they bring to our business. Regardless of background, race, gender, sexuality or ability, we welcome everyone to our team. Our people are the most important asset we have.
Please let us know if we need to accommodate a disability during the hiring process, so that we can give you the support you need.
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme.