Tab powers travel & tourism businesses in 40 countries across Latin America, Africa and Asia. Our payment platform helps tourism businesses to save on payment costs and manage and take bookings more flexibly – while spending less time on admin and more time with their customers.
We work with hotels (from budget to boutique) and activity operators like dive schools, surf lodges and yoga retreats. Our initial focus is emerging destinations, in countries where payment and booking systems are a significant challenge. Our platform is trusted by hundreds of tourism businesses around the world, and we've helped hundreds of thousands of travellers to pay in over 100 currencies.
We're working on ambitious plans to revolutionise the experience of independent travel – by helping travellers make the most of their precious time abroad, and giving local tourism operators the vital tools they need to run their business.
We move fast, so you'll start having a meaningful impact on the business in your first week as we execute our ambitious growth plan. You'll also be encouraged to contribute across all areas – we all help each other out.
We're primarily based in London, and we're backed by Y Combinator (the investors behind Airbnb, Dropbox and Stripe). This role is based in our central London office in Soho, and we currently have an optional WFH Wednesday. We have team lunches every Monday and often schedule drinks and team socials. Our hours are generally flexible, but this role does require some overlap with our team in the Philippines.
About the Role
This is a great opportunity in a small but scaling startup. We're building out our team again as tourism returns after the pandemic, so we're hiring for a few roles right now. It's a great chance to join a new team and make your mark!
We're looking for a growth whizz who's interested in startups. We're a lean team that's growing fast, so you'll hit the ground running and there's loads to learn. We'll expect you to be able to work independently and take on responsibility from the first week, and from there it's up to you - there's scope to grow with the role as the company expands over the next couple of years. Interests in tourism and international payments are imperative!
The role sits in our Customer Success and Operations team, and though you'll spend most of your time working on Growth, you'll also spend some time working with the Customer Success and Operations team to support our customers and learn about our operations processes (including how the money moves!). You should enjoy speaking to customers, helping them, learning from them, and generally making it a pleasure for businesses to work with Tab. If you can also spot potential problems or concerns, pick up ideas and concepts quickly and be able to distill them clearly then you'll fit right in.
An advantage of Tab is that all of our operations already focus on our customers, and we’ve built a reputation for great customer service, so there's a lot of knowledge in the team already. This will be our first entirely Growth focused role, so we're looking for someone who's excited about taking the knowledge we've built about our customers in the team and converting it into high growth initiatives. You'll be building on the growth work we already do (think lots of calling customers and talking to them, designing new initiatives to encourage new users, creating Facebook and Instagram ads, designing email campaigns, deciding call campaigns etc) as well as having a lot of scope to take the lead on your own ideas and design your own inititatives - and we'll give you the space to try things out (with a bit of help of course)!
You’ll need to have good judgement and decision making skills as well as being naturally empathetic. Lots of the businesses we work with speak English as a second language, so being able to empathise with that and adjust accordingly is important.
Experience or an interest in some of the tools we use is helpful too (Redash, Zapier, Intercom, Tally, Flowdash, Journey, Close, Paragon) - or have ideas on how to replace them (!) then we'd love to hear from you.
This role would equally suit someone with a bit of growth experience looking to make the move into startups, or someone with other experience and a passion for growth who's ready to work more independently in a fast moving team. We'll also accept compelling applications from graduates if you've read this and think it sounds perfect for you!
- Strong academic background
- 1+ years’ experience in a customer success, growth or operations based role
- Experience distilling complex concepts into clear explanations
- Spanish speaking is a big plus
- A strong interest in how to grow businesses - especially small start ups!
- You’ll be naturally curious and want to get to the bottom of things
- Motivated to ‘wow’ customers and keep them cheerful - even if we can’t do what they want
- Great attention to detail with both words and numbers
- Logical - you think through the hows, the whys, the whats and the next steps
- A self starter. Obviously. We’re a start up
- Exceptional organisation - you’ll need to be comfortable organising follow up and taking responsibility for creating reminders for yourself to keep things running smoothly
- Interested in how international tourism and payments work - you’ll need to become an expert (we’ll teach you!)
- Empathy - the businesses we work with are all different sizes and all over the world, and the things that they worry about can vary enormously. Lots of them don’t speak English as a first language either, so you’ll need to have the EQ to get to the heart of their questions and be able to empathise with them all. Language skills are a plus here!
*Please note we are not currently able to sponsor work visas, so applicants must have the right to work in the UK*