We are driving a global change in the way that marketing works.
The best way for a customer to be introduced to a brand is on the back of a referral. And the best way for a brand to grow is on the back of their customers spreading the word for them. Before a business spends a penny on advertising, they should be doing everything in their power to encourage their customers to do their marketing for them. Our mission is to ensure all businesses harness the exponential power of their brand fans.
To date we’ve built the world’s most successful referral platform. We take a data-led approach to solve for referral by delivering the right message to the right customer at the right time. We call this Referral Engineering ®. Using this approach we’ve delivered more than 4.5M referrals and $1.6B to our 450+ clients (including Puma, PrettyLittleThing, ASOS and Pret a Manger). We’re the best funded player in the space. But we’re only just getting started.
On the back of our $25M raise last year, we’re taking Advocacy to the next level. We’re using advocacy data to help brands understand who their best customers really are. We’ve put machine learning behind referral data and can now understand each customer’s propensity to refer at any given time. Referral data and Propensity modelling are allowing us to drive efficiency across the marketing stack, optimise the customer experience and drive up advocacy. The brands that are coming with us on this journey are unlocking the incredible potential that advocacy holds. Our vision is to change marketing by changing the mindsets of CMOs and to make all brands think advocacy first. It’s exciting. And the CMO hire is critical in our success in this.
You’ll be joining as our first CMO reporting directly into our CEO and Co-Founder, Andy Cockburn. You’ll manage a growing marketing team of 5 including our Head of Brand and Head of Performance, to strategise and deliver on our global marketing goals across a breadth of channels including performance marketing, content, PR, social, email, ABM, and brand marketing. This year alongside increasing our headcount by 50%, we’re launching our first products harnessing AI and machine learning, building out our martech partner channel, developing our Enterprise ICPs and launching in the USA. We now need a marketing strategy and team that lives up to our ambitions.
You’ll be a well-rounded marketeer, that is able to balance the analytical and data-led approach required for optimising performance marketing, alongside being an inspiring and creative leader that can build a brand and tell a compelling story that resonates with our target customers and our team.
What you’ll do:
- You’ll develop and map out a clear 1, 2 & 5-year marketing strategy that aligns with our brand values and ARR goals.
- You’ll build the Mention Me brand, so that it has high levels of recall and positive sentiment in our ICPs in the UK and US.
- You’ll deeply understand our audiences within our ICPs and their challenges to ensure our positioning and messaging maximises growth.
- You’ll lead marketing launch of new markets.
- You’ll manage the marketing budget, using ROI-based decisions on where to invest spend and proactively flex over the year based on results.
Leadership / Board / Collaboration
- You’ll play a core leadership role across the business as part of the Leadership Team, reporting your successes back to the team, wider company and board.
- You’ll work with finance to set targets, goals and budgets for your team.
- You’ll collaborate with the Revenue teams (Market Development, Sales, Partners) and Product Marketing to agree cross-functional strategic plans to achieve your goals.
- You’ll establish Mention Me in the USA, supporting the early marketing hires in the US to leverage their local knowledge as part of the global strategy.
- You’ll drive up the Customer Love that we create with our clients, working with marketing, product, and sales to enhance the brand experience at all stages of the funnel.
- You’ll understand & represent the voice of prospective customers and use it to evolve the company brand and ensure we make the right decisions for them.
- With your experience in leading and growing individuals, you’ll help us build a best-in-class marketing team to elevate Mention Me’s presence.
- You’ll help inspire and motivate the two current managers - Head of Brand (Sophia King) and Head of Performance, with three members reporting into them. You can hear from Sophia, our Head of Marketing, on her career growth as a Mentioneer by clicking here.
- You’ll grow the team as we grow. You’ll build an entrepreneurial and inclusive team where each new hire raises the bar.
- Championing our culture, you’ll role model direct feedback, and active performance management to unleash the potential from your team.
- Ability to make data-driven decisions and build a team that does the same
- You’ll be collaborating closely with peers on the Leadership Team, including our CRO (Stuart Whyte), CPO (Roy Robinson) and CFO (Becky Hooley).
- You’ll successfully drive demand generation activities and experiment with new channels.
- You’ll drive and manage budget allocation between channels and lead the campaign-specific strategy to optimise conversion, CAC, LTV and ROAS.
- You’ll successfully manage the team to deliver content, events, and PR that enhance the businesses reputation and brand recognition and drive growth.
- You’ll develop an ABM capability to support our recent successful move into Enterprise.
- You’ll implement partner programmes that support our Partnerships team and contribute towards ambitious goals for the partner channel.
- You’ll build out a Client Marketing capability to educate our clients as our proposition expands.
- You’ll oversee and manage our own programme of driving referrals from our existing clients and partners.
- You’ll represent the company at various events, inspiring, and driving awareness and excitement around our vision and mission.
We'd really like to hear from you if:
- You have significant B2B marketing experience, including in high-growth tech scale-ups with revenues north of $15M.
- You have experience of representing marketing on a Leadership Team.
- You have a strong understanding of the B2C marketing space, with a view on the value of advocacy in the current marketing mix.
- You have experience of working in scale-up environments or proof of scaling ARR between $15M - $50M ranges.
- You’re able to deliver strong programmes, with measurable results.
- You’ve got experience managing, leading, and growing a team of marketing professionals.
- You have experience working with partner, direct sales channels, and attracting Mid-Market and Enterprise clients.
- You have set up and optimised Account Based Marketing programmes.
- You’re proficient with Marketing automation, and/or other CRM/automation tools (we use HubSpot and Salesforce).
- You have an understanding of GDPR compliance
What you’ll get:
Here are some of the perks and benefits that all members of the Mention Me team benefit from:
Stock options to share in our future success
Hybrid and remote working. You'll be needed in the office 2x a week, with 3 days working from home.
Free mental well-being support with a qualified therapist through Spill
£2000 annual learning and development budgets
2 Celebration Days: additional time off for you to celebrate religious days, cultural events, birthdays, anniversaries, or any other significant day that’s important to you
Enhanced parental leave
25 days holiday plus public holidays, alongside additional days the longer you’re a Mentioneer
Monthly prizes for being amazing! The Wheel of Wow, Unsung Hero, and Founders’ Award for Awesomeness. Win up to £500 cash, vouchers, meals out and trips away.♂️ Free weekly massages, subsidised gym memberships and ClassPass, and loads more
All the up-to-date tech you’ll need (we love Macs)
What to expect after you apply:
After you’ve applied, you'll receive a feedback survey that will ask you to provide completely anonymous feedback on your candidate experience so far. We'd really appreciate it if you’d be able to share your thoughts - it takes as little as 30 seconds, and provides hugely valuable data for us to continue to improve our processes.
You can expect to hear back from us within 3 working days, regardless of the outcome. It could take a few days longer if there’s an unexpected delay, but we definitely won’t leave you hanging.
If we progress with your application, you’ll be invited to arrange a 30-minute call with Dom (our Talent Partner).
After the initial conversation, if it’s a good match both ways, you’ll meet with Andy Cockburn, our CEO. This is typically over a virtual call, but we also love face-to-face interviews where possible too.
You'll then meet Roy, and Becky at second stage, followed by the rest of the leadership team at the third stage which includes a task. You'll then meet the Board at the fourth stage. If we're both mutually happy to progress, you'll meet the team that you'll manage for a coffee.