We are recruiting for multiple Systems Engineers to help us develop our next-generation laser processing platforms.
Opsydia is transforming security and traceability in the diamond gemstone industry with our precision laser technology, which can write tamper-proof, permanent identities inside diamonds and other precious gems. Our first deployed products, the Dx000 series systems, utilise optical techniques and machine vision to secure diamond identities on a commercial scale, supporting transparency and traceability initiatives for ethical supply chains.
Our technology also provides a platform for next-generation functional devices in diamond. In the research and development stage it has a number of potential disruptive applications, from quantum devices to chemical and magnetic sensors.
As a Systems Engineer you will contribute to the development of our systems already available on the market, working with the Engineering Team to look for improvements in laser marking processes, control solutions and computer vision capability. You will also be working on early-stage research and development projects and will have the opportunity to interact with customers, our academic founders, and potential early adopters for our technology. This is a broad role enabling you to be involved in projects from initial idea to product deployment.
Across internal R&D and external customer projects in all application areas, you will:-
- Develop laser fabrication processes and techniques for existing and new systems
- Design, set up & test laboratory optical systems for translation into new product features
- Run proof of concept trials & demonstrations for prospective customers
- Develop robust control solutions for industrial systems
- Contribute to computer vision development alongside the Software Team
- Become an internal technical expert, reporting project results to progress early-stage developments towards a product or service launch
- Produce technical documentation for, and assist with, the build of production systems where technical expertise is required
As we are recruiting for multiple roles across the Systems team, we encourage applications across a wide range of experience levels; from those that have recently graduated to those with a high level of technical, practical and project management experience working with optical and laser systems.
We aim to build a world class team with complimentary skills to push forward our development plans. We anticipate that the Senior Systems Engineer role(s) would be filled by those with experience working in a research or technical environment to be able to co-ordinate, lead and deliver projects within the Engineering Team.
You will have a strong technical background with a degree, or equivalent experience in the physical sciences or engineering and enjoy working as part of a small collaborative team.
You will be able to demonstrate that you have the following:-
- Strong communication skills
- A proactive approach to problem solving and product development
- A creative mindset to develop new ideas and find effective technical solutions
- Enthusiasm and interest in understanding complex technical systems
- Strong record keeping to promote knowledge retention, transfer and dissemination within the company
For the more senior level roles we are looking for individuals that have experience leading projects in a research or technical environment within industry or academia; and integrating hardware or using hardware control systems.
For the higher level role you may also have:-
- Worked with optical and laser systems
- Worked with or developed precision instrumentation or systems
- Worked with ultrafast lasers
- Experience with adaptive optics and imaging systems
- Set up or used servo-based motion control systems
- Experience developing software or writing basic scripts
- Experience with microscopes and a familiarity with other analytical techniques such as confocal microscopy, Raman, AFM and SEM
- Analysed sensors or electrical devices using probe stations
- Developed products and produced documentation to demonstrate conformity with regulatory standards
These roles are advertised as full-time, however part-time would be considered at a minimum of 0.8fte. We are pleased to accommodate flexible and hybrid working where appropriate but, as a hardware company, we find hands-on system and collaboration time to be highly valuable, so encourage time spent in the office and expect this when required.
As part of the recruitment process a selected candidate will be required to undergo security screening to BS7858.
Closing date: 19 December 2022. Applications will be reviewed as received so this vacancy may be closed earlier; early applications are therefore encouraged.
WHAT WE OFFER
Salary range: £32 - £58k pa fte
Salary will be dependent upon level of skill and experience. We therefore anticipate the following:-
- £32 - £38k for recent graduates
- £38 - £48k if you have more experience working within a research or technical environment with project management skills
- £48 - £58k if you are able to demonstrate more of the ‘you may also have’ above, i.e. more technical experience working with laser systems/precision instrumentation and leading projects or teams
- Hybrid/flexible working arrangements
- Share option scheme
- Annual bonus scheme
- Private medical Insurance
- Group Income Protection and Life Assurance
- Enhanced family leave
- Company matched pension contributions up to 5%. Salary sacrifice arrangement is available
- 25 days paid leave plus bank holidays
- Cycle to Work Scheme
Opsydia is a leading innovator in laser technology to bring significant advances to markets from diamond and gemstone security to diamond-based electronic devices. Harnessing short pulse laser technology, the company can create serial numbers, logos or marks, invisible to the naked eye, inside transparent materials including diamond for security applications and for writing electrical and quantum features in diamond for device applications. It has rapidly commercialised the technology with the first systems deployed and this hire is to support its scale-up in the diamond and jewellery industry.
The company is based in the Centre for Innovation & Enterprise at Begbroke Science Park north of Oxford. Begbroke offers comprehensive facilities on-site including a restaurant, coffee shop, free parking and a minibus service between the park and Oxford.