Background to Founders Factory
Founders Factory was launched in 2015 with a mission to power founders to go further, faster. To date we have built more than 60 startups and invested in a further 150 across offices in London, Johannesburg and New York. FF has a team of over 100 full-time operators and its portfolio has raised more than $600m in capital. In our studio, we partner up with our corporate backers to create entirely new venture-backable concepts from scratch, always bringing an unfair advantage.
Background to Project Renew
Project Renew is a proptech startup decarbonising UK homes by creating green, sustainable buy-to-let investment portfolios for institutional real estate investors out of ‘leaky’, energy-inefficient housing stock.
Project Renew is funded in the Founders Factory x Nesta Mission Studio. Project Renew’s mission is to create future-proofed green portfolios for investors, tenants and the planet.
There are ~26 million energy inefficient properties in the UK, of which ~3.2 million are owned by private landlords. Project Renew will help solve this problem by:
1) Buying leaky properties (EPC D or less) at scale.
2) Renovating and retrofitting the properties to upgrade both sustainability and design.
3) Marketing the properties to private tenants and managing them, certifying carbon saved as tradable carbon credits
In order to to do this at scale, Project Renew will need to develop software to make buying, refurbishing and managing properties faster, cheaper, more accurate and scalable.
The business is led by the Founder and CEO Marcel Shanti, with extensive experience in real estate investment and asset management, including managing the £60bn FTSE UK Commercial Property Index Fund. The team also includes operational support from Founders Factory and Nesta teams.
As the C(P)TO & Cofounder you will be responsible for:
- Exploring product and technology options and building the product and tech strategy for the business including a wide range of areas:
- property market analysis
- property assessment in relation to renovations, energy efficiency retrofits and energy consumption
- project, workflow and process management for property acquisition, renovation and lettings management
- energy consumption forecasting, energy management and trading
- carbon credit verification and trading
- fund and portfolio management
- Defining and building the technology that powers our product
- Prioritising the product roadmap together with the CEO
- Attracting and leading talent for the tech team: as the team grows you will be moving from a hands-on role to a more managerial and leadership role.
- Supporting fundraising and marketing efforts: explaining the technology and its advantages to potential investors and other stakeholders.
The role is full time but depending on your circumstances you could start part time now with a trajectory to grow into full time during 2023.
We are looking for:
- Deep passion towards decarbonising UK homes and the energy system and tackling climate change
- Qualifications or technical competence in as many as possible from below:
- implementing machine learning models at scale, including testing, deployment and monitoring
- using statistical testing and modelling techniques, especially in geospatial and time series analysis areas, with a bonus for experience in image recognition
- collecting, storing and unifying multiple datasets
- designing overall client-side and server-side architecture
- writing integrations to third-party APIs
- developing and managing well-functioning databases
- providing operational information to improve efficiency
- generating market insights
- Entrepreneurial spirit, flexibility and willingness to work across a range of areas and grittiness to operate in a start-up environment.
- Ability to inspire and build a team.
Nice to haves:
- You’ve had a CTO or Tech Lead role in a startup / scale up
- Networks across the developer community
- Experience of raising capital
- You’ve got solid product experience
- PropTech experience
What’s in it for you:
- A unique opportunity to join the Founding Team and build a business that will scale and make an impact in tackling climate change
- We’ll be able to draw a salary from the Founders Factory & Nesta initial investment
- As we secure the next investment raise, we’ll be able to assign more for the team’s salary
- Fair equity in the business based on your contribution and commitment
- Autonomy to set your own working patterns and ability to shape your role and build a team as we scale
- Work with like-minded individuals who want to make a difference in decarbonising UK homes and energy system
- Become part of the Founder's Factory entrepreneurial ecosystem & build relationships with industry leaders for life 💙
We are committed to building a diverse culture and are eager to receive applications from all backgrounds. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination.