Company: Abaton Ltd
Start date: 3rd April 2023 (or earlier)
Location: Central London office (Location TBD) with hybrid work culture
Salary: Up to £80k plus generous share options
Abaton is a fintech/legaltech startup founded to help innovative organisations maximise value from their intangible assets (such as brands, datasets, IP, and R&D programmes).
Over 80% of value in modern businesses is now represented by intangibles, yet globally more than $1 trillion of them are underexploited. As assets that require significant legal and financial training to handle appropriately, their complexity requires expensive support from professional services firms.
Abaton is building a digital platform that will empower businesses to unlock the value of their intangible assets. By deploying an intelligent “Expert System'' within the platform that replicates elements of support usually provided by external consultants and lawyers, our clients will have a much clearer picture of the assets they own and how best to manage them. Abaton’s platform will then connect them to our ecosystem of world-leading experts and innovative sources of finance that will give them a real advantage in the modern knowledge economy.
About the role
We are looking for a hands-on Co-Founding CTO to establish our in-house Engineering team and be an essential member of our leadership team.
The role will have responsibility for all technical activities needed to drive the business to product-market fit and beyond to serving our clients at scale around the world.
An element of the role will be technical leadership on an Innovate UK project that will be delivered in collaboration with the University of Strathclyde’s Dr Viktor Dörfler, a Knowledge Engineering specialist. Viktor will provide advice and guidance into the process of knowledge acquisition and construction of the knowledge base that will power our platform.
- Using our prototype to ship a first product by July 2023
- Hiring, leading and growing our Engineering team
- Delivering the right things at the right time to advance our commercial goals
- Representing the Engineering team in Management and Board meetings
- Representing Abaton externally to users, partners, and investors
- Technology roadmap design and management
- Designing our architecture and ‘make or buy’ decisions to suit our commercial goals
- Supervise our Knowledge Engineer’s work to build our unique Intangible Asset Knowledge Base and others as we grow
- Must be UK based
- Proven experience in software development
- Experience of leading and growing engineering teams in B2B software startups (ideally venture-funded)
- Decisive in the face of uncertainty and thrives in adversity
- Adaptable, flexible, and able to course-correct rapidly when required
- Bias towards action
- Interested in problems of a business, legal and financial nature (such as understanding and protecting IP, valuation techniques, and innovative financial instruments).
- Experience with IP and intangible assets is a bonus, but not essential. However, a strong desire to learn is crucial.
- Leadership: Build, lead and inspire a team of engineers and developers to meet company goals and objectives.
- Communication: Effectively communicate with a variety of stakeholders, including investors, customers, and team members.
- Strategic thinking: Think strategically and make decisions that align with the company's overall vision and mission.
- Adaptability: Adapt to changes in the business landscape and pivot as needed to stay competitive.
- Business acumen: Strong understanding of the business and the ability to make decisions that drive revenue and growth.
- Entrepreneurial mindset: Think like an entrepreneur and identify new opportunities for the business.
- Problem solving: Identify and solve problems quickly and efficiently.
- Visionary: See the big picture and have a clear vision for the future of the company.
- Passionate: Passionate about technology and the company's mission and inspire others to share that passion.
- Networking: Build relationships with other industry leaders, investors, and potential partners.
- Cloud computing: Strong understanding of cloud computing and experience working with AWS, including knowledge of services such as Lambda, S3, DynamoDB, and API Gateway.
- Serverless architecture: Experience designing and building serverless architectures, including knowledge of how to design and deploy functions and APIs using Lambda and API Gateway.
- TypeScript and/or Python: Strong experience in TypeScript and/or Python programming languages, including knowledge of best practices and common libraries used in these languages.
- Expert systems: Knowledge of expert systems and experience building similar systems in the past. Understanding of the concepts of rule-based systems, AI, and natural language processing.
- Data modelling: Experience with data modelling and understanding of how to design and implement data structures that support the expert system.
- API design: Knowledge of API design principles and experience designing and building RESTful APIs.
- Infrastructure as code: Knowledge of infrastructure as code, including experience with tools like Terraform or CloudFormation.
- Security: Understanding of security best practices and experience implementing security measures, such as encryption and authentication, in cloud-based systems.
- Performance optimisation: Experience optimising the performance of cloud-based systems, including knowledge of how to design and implement scalable and resilient architectures.
- Continual learning: Continual learning and staying up-to-date with the latest developments and trends in the field of expert systems and related technologies, such as AI, Machine Learning and NLP.
How to apply
Please send your CV and cover letter via this platform by 5pm on Tuesday 28th of February 2023, stating “Application - Co-Founding CTO” in the subject line.
No recruiters, please.