🌍 SOLVING THE PROBLEM OF FOOD WASTE
Olio is a sharing app for local communities. We’re on a mission to solve the climate crisis by ending waste, one share at a time. The app offers a simple solution to surplus stuff — by enabling households and businesses to pass on unneeded or unsold items to someone local who’d value them. In the beginning, we fought food waste. Today, we fight anything going to waste.
The stats on waste are stark. To take just 2 examples: 50% of the clothes in our wardrobes are never worn; and over ⅓ of the food we produce globally gets thrown away (half of that happens in the home). Olio tackles this problem by empowering us all to be part of the solution. We believe that sharing has the power to transform us as individuals, our communities and the future of the planet. That’s why Olio isn’t just an app fighting waste — it’s a movement for optimism.
Over the past 7 years Olio has grown from a local initiative in North London to a global movement. We now have over 6.5 million users who have given away 86 million portions of food and 8 million household items in 62 countries.
Underpinning Olio’s incredible growth has been our volunteer programme, with over 75,000 people reaching out to spread the word about Olio in their local community. We also work with over 4,500 business locations across the UK via our Food Waste Heroes Programme — including Tesco, Pret, Costa and Iceland — to enable them to have zero food waste locations.
We have a bold vision to build the future of consumption — which is hyper-local and sustainable — and reach 1 billion Olio-ers by 2030. Our work has been widely recognized, most notably by the United Nations who highlighted Olio as a "beacon” for the world, and by Vivatech who awarded Olio "Next European Unicorn".
🎉 JOIN OUR TEAM!
To help take Olio to our next level in growth and impact, we're recruiting a Senior Product Designer (Community App) to improve and innovate our experience for millions of customers and volunteers worldwide. This role is the perfect opportunity for a seasoned product designer who is looking to go to the next level and make an impact in a new team while solving the greatest challenge of our lifetimes.
You'll join a recently forged product design team of 4 committed to delivering exceptional work and pushing design maturity forward in the organisation. The Senior Product Designer will report to the Head of Product Design, with the team sitting under the Product umbrella. Designers are embedded within a cross-functional squad of Engineers led by a Product Manager. Here you'll solve a broad range of exciting problems for our community audience on the app or the volunteer experience, which has many touchpoints online and offline.
At the heart of Olio's mission is our aim to reinvent the mainstream model of consumption by driving behaviour change at scale. We have always been human-centred in our culture and have recently invested heavily in user research tools and resources to help us fulfil our mission.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Leading the design of large projects from opportunity to implementation, using customer insight and product data.
- Evolving our product experiences to be better and simpler.
- Developing deep domain knowledge of your product area and how to solve its problems.
- Strategising and executing user research activities using a range of standard UX methods (e.g. un/moderated usability testing)
- Driving your squad's ability to deliver by making smart trade-offs in your design choices.
- Setting the standard for other product designers as the most senior individual contributor in the team.
- Producing high-quality artefacts to communicate projects and problems to stakeholders, choosing the best method or fidelity for the problem.
- Improving design team processes, continually pushing our productivity and effectiveness.
- You'll know, use, and expand on our design system, helping us to improve it.
- Unlocking the potential of those around you via workshops and collaboration.
- Building strong positive relationships with other functions to push the overall quality and effectiveness of product design at Olio.
Olio is a remote-first company and has been since it’s inception. This allows us to have a diverse workforce located around the UK and empowers our team to define how they work best. We have no fixed office in the UK but all employees have access to coworking spaces for 2 days per week to work solo or meet up with colleagues. We also have regular online and offline team socials, and a company retreat once a year to connect together.
Before applying, please consider if remote-first is a good fit for you. Working in isolation can be challenging at times, particularly when starting a new role. Your health and happiness should be the most important factor in deciding on starting a new opportunity.
We have an incredibly strong culture and was listed as the top 4th best place to work by Escape The City 2022, and in late 2022 Olio was awarded official B Corp Certification, which means that we are a company that's legally committed to high standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability.
😁 IS THIS YOU?
Our ideal candidate will first and foremost be as passionate about our mission as we are! In addition to this, you will have the following attributes:
- Have 4-6 years of experience working as a product designer or UX-centred design role.
- Proven track record with demonstrable examples of delivering exceptional and impactful product work.
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills that help align others around a problem and build buy-in.
- Ability to manage many projects, tasks and initiatives in parallel
- Comfortable with complex and ambiguous problems in a fast-paced scale-up environment.
- Ambitious and keen to progress to a lead design role over the next few years.
- Passionate about helping other designers to grow and improve.
- Resilience - we own our failures and bounce back from them quickly.
- You understand the need to 'disagree and commit' and are very comfortable doing so.
All Olio team members share these attributes:
- Mission obsessed
- Self-starters with a 'can-do' attitude
- Resourceful and creative
- Thorough but able to move quickly and decisively
- A ruthless ability to prioritise
- Excellent communication skills
- Fun to work with ☺
We boast a diverse team, with team members of 28 nationalities, 24% who identify as coming from a lower economic background, ages ranging from early 20’s to 45+ and a strong female presence in the company (59%).
Our team members come from a range of ethnic backgrounds (24%), as well as from the LGBTQ+ community (29%), and those who identify as neuro-divergent (38%) and disabled (6%).
We are part of the All-In Promise, and we are committed to keep this going as we grow, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
🎯 HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV and covering email explaining why you are the right person for this role.
Interview process is:
- Intro call with Head of Product Design (45m)
- Case study deep dive with PM, Engineer & Designer (1h 15m)
- Culture and Values chat with CEO (30-45m)