We are looking for an enthusiastic and pragmatic Senior Data Scientist to join Coefficient's Data Team full-time.
You'll be working on projects with multiple clients across different industries, including clients in the UK public sector, financial services, healthcare, app startups and beyond. This is no ordinary data science role. Beyond coding, you will also be managing client projects, leading a client's data team, delivering Python workshops, and mentoring others.
This is our first Senior Data Science role so you can expect to play a large role in shaping the company's future, working closely with the CEO to ensure that we continue to deliver a 10-star service for our clients as we grow. You'll be at the heart of delivering data science & engineering projects including hands-on coding and code reviews. For some clients you will be Coefficient's technical lead and project owner. We aim to be best-in-class at what we do, and we want to work with people who share that same attitude.
This is an exciting time for Coefficient, and an excellent opportunity to work within a unique and fast-growing startup.
💼 Coefficient is a full-stack data consultancy offering end-to-end solutions in data science, engineering, machine learning, analytics, and other AI-related services, as well as bespoke training courses.
🔧 We are driven by the challenge of solving real-world problems by combining statistical techniques with a lean start-up mentality and a technical skillset. Our service is end-to-end, whether it's delivering innovative solutions for a UK government agency or providing an in-house data team to a fast-growing tech company.
🎓 We have designed and delivered data training courses for clients such as BNP Paribas, EY, Hawk-Eye, the BBC, ACCA, and the Metropolitan Police. Our consulting work is highly multidisciplinary; in a single week we may be writing trading algorithms, routing delivery drivers, and predicting elections.
👥 Our team is our greatest asset. We invest heavily in professional development through our "10% Time" programme. We work with highly intelligent and passionate people who take pride in their work and enjoy a high level of independence.
What does the work look like?
This is a role for curious people who love to learn and be challenged! On any given day, you might be doing one of the following:
- Building a geospatial time series model blending bespoke & open data to forecast a client's future revenue.
- Tuning a PyTorch deep learning algorithm for one-shot image classification.
- Writing data migrations for a Django application that helps automate accounting workflows for an audit team.
- Advising the CEO of a 100+ person company on how to build a modern data analytics and BI capability.
- Mentoring and reviewing code written by Coefficient or our clients' staff.
- Project management and leading agile meetings as technical lead for a client project.
- Teaching an introductory "pandas 101" workshop to an online class featuring attendees from across the world.
- Working with the CEO to craft project proposals to win future clients.
Our ideal candidate would:
- Have at least 5 years of experience working in data roles (e.g. data analytics, data science, data engineering).
- Have consulting or contracting experience including writing project plans and quotes, and experience of managing client relationships & delivery expectations.
- Have experience using tools such as Python for data analysis, data science, and/or machine learning.
- Have used any libraries in the Python Open Data Science Stack (e.g. pandas, NumPy, matplotlib, Seaborn, scikit-learn).
- Enjoy sharing their knowledge, experience, and passion with others.
- Have the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with clients, for example by writing and presenting slide decks to showcase our work during sprint reviews and project showcases.
- Demonstrate an ability to find innovative solutions for client problems through a combination of analytical skills, application of methodological best practices, and the technical experience to know which is the right tool for the job.
Please note that we don’t expect all of the above. We know some people are less likely to apply for the role unless they are 100% qualified. Our goal is to promote a diverse, inclusive and empowering culture at Coefficient. If this role sounds exciting to you, please consider applying below. If you’re unsure, please still get in touch — we would love to hear from you.
Whilst this role is remote-friendly, we like to get the whole team together on a regular basis. The successful candidate should be able to travel to London to work on-site for approximately 1-4 days per month. This means you must be UK-based or willing to relocate to the UK in the near future. We are able to sponsor Skilled Worker visas.
📍 Location: We are based in Central London, but we are remote-friendly. You will be regularly required to work on-site at clients’ offices
💰 Salary: £80-90k depending on experience
🏖 Holiday: 33 days of annual paid holiday including bank holidays.
💷 Pension: We're set up with Smart Pension to make sure we're contributing to help you save for retirement.
📈 Performance Reviews: Monthly check-ins to ensure you’re progressing in your career and maximising your potential.
🚀 Opportunity: To be part of a unique and exciting company that prizes excellence of work, working closely with the founder and become part of a dedicated and forward-thinking team. We want you to push yourself to learn new skills and be recognised as one of the best in your field.
♻️ Commitment: We are committed to challenging the status quo and are always looking for ways to make a positive impact. We were one of the first 80 signatories of TechZero and are in the process of setting our net zero goal.
💸 Co-working spaces: Regular co-working days at different locations around London with the team, as well as the option to use local co-working spaces where you live.
🎓 Learning and Professional Development: Potential to improve skills through paid courses and annual subscriptions to FutureLearn & O'Reilly. We encourage all our team to engage with professional communities (e.g. PyData, PyCon etc) and offer additional support for anyone wishing to speak at meetups/conferences.
👂 Spill: All-in-one mental health support via Slack.
📚 10% Time: 4 hours per week dedicated to learning new skills or pursuing your own project ideas.
💻 Laptop & Peripherals: Company-owned Apple laptop plus peripherals such as a monitor and keyboard, for making remote working both comfortable and safe.
🧘 Yoga: Virtual office yoga sessions once a week.
🚲 Cycle Scheme: Save money on bikes and accessories if you cycle to work, all while reducing your C02 emissions.
💃 Team Culture: We have a fantastic small team who enjoy socials together. Lockdown saw us get inventive with virtual socials, including board games and cocktails, and since we've been back out, we've enjoyed everything from guided walking tours, to Bake Off experiences.
What to expect from the hiring process:
- Round 1: We review your application (CV, cover letter, screening questions, and code samples) to see if you meet the initial requirements for this role. Please note that if you do not have a cover letter we are unable to proceed with your application beyond this stage.
- Round 2: You’ll have a 30 minute interview with someone on our lovely Operations Team to get a sense of your personality and your interests outside of Data Science. This is not a technical interview.
- Round 3: We’ll book you in for a 2-hour slot to complete a Code Test, which mirrors tasks you can expect to do at Coefficient.
- Round 4: You’ll have a 1-hour Technical Interview with someone from our amazing Data Team - this includes pair programming and a deeper dive into the required skills for the role.
- Round 5: You’ll have a chat with our CEO and Principal Data Scientist, John Sandall, to understand your motivations & career goals. We want to know that you'll be a great fit for our team, but we also want to help you achieve your goals too.
Applications for the role are considered on a rolling basis and there is no fixed start date. It usually takes us a week to get back to you after each round. We are unfortunately unable to offer feedback before Round 2. Feedback for subsequent rounds is provided if requested.
Please make sure Workable is not included in your spam filter. We’ve had issues in the past of being unable to reach candidates due to our emails being miscategorised as spam.