We are excited to be partnering with Wonderbly to support them in their search for an Acquisition Director.
Wonderbly is the world’s leading personalised publishing company and Children’s Publisher of the Year 2021. We conceive, design, promote, sell, and make unique books for wonderful customers all over the world.
Our mission is to make people feel extraordinarily special and bring them closer to the people they love, through the power of personalised stories. So far we’ve shipped over 8 million books to over 150 countries. We’ve done this in just nine years, and we’re just getting started.
About the role
This is a brilliant opportunity to join Wonderbly, a fast growing DTC ecommerce market leader. We are looking for a passionate Director of Acquisition who’ll be responsible for driving profitable new customer growth. This high profile, brand new role will sit as part of our Marketing leadership team, be responsible for over £15m in marketing budget and will report into the Chief Marketing Officer.
If you’re a seasoned performance marketing expert who’s excited about creating special connections between people through the gifting of books, we’d love you to join us on this exciting new chapter!
What you’ll be doing:
- New customer growth strategy. You’ll be responsible for setting our new customer and performance marketing growth strategy. You’ll break this down into a roadmap of impactful initiatives that need to be delivered each T (third of a year). You’ll report on progress weekly, galvanise teams to deliver and change tack when appropriate to keep us on track to meet targets.
- Budget management & optimisation. You’ll be responsible for setting, managing and optimising an annual paid media budget of over £15m to help you achieve your new customer growth targets within CAC (cost per customer acquisition) goals.
- Team leadership. You’ll lead a core team of 6 performance marketers. We run the majority of our performance marketing activity in-house. You’ll coach your experienced direct reports, develop strengths and focus on improving areas for development. You’ll identify team goals and evaluate team progress. You’ll keep all team members focussed on initiatives that help us meet our goals whilst ensuring they are happy, motivated and developing in their careers.
- Multichannel marketing: You’ll spearhead the strategic planning of all digital channels to drive efficiencies and scale across both acquisition and support on the execution of branding campaigns. Working closely with your channel leads, you’ll develop all strategies across our paid channels; Paid Search, Paid Social, Affiliates, ATL (above the line) and resellers (Amazon). You’ll tenaciously seek new growth opportunities across the likes of Tiktok, Pinterest, programmatic etc. In tandem with delivering paid channel excellence, you’ll seek to reduce our reliance on paid media by devising and executing unpaid channel strategies (organic channels including SEO, Meta, Pinterest etc.) to drive new customer growth and reduce our CAC.
- Marketing measurement. You’ll be responsible for keeping us on the forefront of marketing measurement, working with our marketing analyst to ensure our in-house multi-touch attribution model is maintained and improved where possible. In a world of cookie depreciation, you’ll find ways for Wonderbly to evolve and adapt, with a clear plan on how we ensure the continued effectiveness of our marketing spend (including media mix modelling, incrementality testing, server-to-server tracking solutions and first-party data use).
- Cross-department collaboration. You’ll devise business cases where there’s an opportunity to develop the customer on-site experience and work with the technology team to ensure projects are prioritised and delivered. You’ll work with our Head of Trade & E-commerce to ensure that our pricing and promotion strategy is optimal for driving profitable new customer acquisition.
- Creative and segmentation. You’ll devise a plan of how we leverage our customer segmentation within performance marketing and creativity to deliver results. You’ll work with our in-house creative team and external partners to ensure we strike the right balance of creative asset investment to drive continued profitable growth.
- 3rd party relationship management. You’ll build tight relationships with our top digital marketing partners (in particular Google, Meta and Smartly) and
- ensure we maximise the potential of our platform and partnership. You’ll keep tabs on new innovations and ensure we have the best marketing technology in place to deliver against our strategy. You’ll make the case to enlist agency support where relevant. You should apply if:
- You’ll have a proven track record in building and leading performance marketing for a fast-growing e-commerce business
- You’ll be comfortable with a fast-paced environment, and be highly analytical with a craving for results.
- You’ll demonstrate a wealth of experience within paid marketing, especially across PPC, Paid Social, SEO, programmatic and Affiliate marketing at senior strategic levels. Above-the-line experience including TV, print and out-of-home is a bonus.
- You’ll be capable of developing a strategy that encompasses all acquisition and performance initiatives, including the on-site customer journey.
- You’ll have good Google Analytics, data layer and Google tag manager knowledge.
- You’ll be comfortable with ‘hands-on’ self-serve analytics platforms such as Looker (our current platform) or Tableau.
- You’ll be able to demonstrate a thorough understanding of attribution models and have a clear view of how we navigate performance marketing in a world of cookie depreciation. Experience in running media mix modelling is highly desirable.
- Experience working with both agencies and in-house teams is preferred.
- You’ll have extensive experience leveraging brilliant creative throughout the digital funnel (especially across Meta and Google)
- You’ll have the drive to be constantly seeking alternative or better ways of doing things within the digital space.
- Finally, you must show love for our category and brand. We want someone that loves books and creating personal, meaningful connections, and who connects deeply with our internal company values of courage, kindness and curiosity.
Oh hi! We’re delighted that you’re interested in working with Wonderbly, the UK Children’s Publisher of the Year 2021.
Below you’ll find out all about us, our mission and values. Wonderbly is the world’s leading personalised publishing company. We conceive, design, promote, sell, and make wonderful books for wonderful customers all over the world.
Our mission is to make people feel extraordinarily special and bring them closer to the people they love, through the power of personalised stories. So far we’ve shipped over 8 million books to over 150 countries. We’ve done this in just eight years, and we’re just getting started.
Getting personalised books to all those millions of customers requires a multidisciplinary team. Our wonderful people have experience across editorial design, research, production, software engineering, marketing, e-commerce, data analysis, print-on-demand manufacturing, shipping… the list goes on.
This means that Wonderbly is a collaborative and creative place to work, with lots of opportunities for growth and development across a broad range of skills.
We’re based in London, where we have a gorgeous, light-filled studio for working together. But like many digital-first companies, we have a hybrid operating model, with many colleagues working from home and further afoot much of the time.
Wonderbly’s values were born from the three qualities at the heart of ‘Lost My Name’ - our original and best-selling personalised children’s book. These values are Courage, Curiosity and Kindness. And although they naturally have a child-friendly ring to them, these are deeply human values that we believe everyone should live by.
Courage means taking calculated risks and trying things that no one else would. It means setting audacious goals, seeing them through, and being willing to be wrong.
Curiosity means investing in learning, never losing sight of the ‘WHY’. Curiosity allows us to ask silly questions, explore our blind spots, and dip into other disciplines for inspiration.
Kindness is at the heart of our culture: it’s no coincidence that deep friendships form here every day. Kindness means making space for one another, inclusivity as standard, and clear, direct communication. It does not mean “good vibes only”: the kindest conversations are often the hardest.
Equal opportunities employer
Our team is committed to providing equal opportunities for employment regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, disability, family structure, socio-economic status, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis (it's the law, but it's also just the right thing to do).
If you have a disability, caring duties, or any other additional needs that require consideration, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate them during the application process.
To see more about our business and products, you can visit us at Wonderbly.com