Lead Product Designer, Elephant Healthcare
Reports to: Head of Product
Location: London, UK, Remote
Role type: Full time, permanent
Compensation: £85,000-£110,000 pa + share options depending on experience.
Who are we?
Elephant builds mobile, digital infrastructure for public health systems across the Global South. Founded in 2018 by doctors and driven by technical expertise, we are building a platform - ElephantOS - that improves outcomes, reduces costs and makes healthcare accessible for all. We currently have employees in Kenya, Nigeria, Pakistan and the UK. And we’re backed by top VC firms including Novastar Ventures, General Catalyst, LocalGlobe, First Minute, SeedCamp, Push Ventures, Speed Invest and Manta Ray.
A short case study of our work in Kenya can be found here.
Our company has deep ethical roots, combining science with ambition and social purpose. Our culture is based on bias for action and collaboration; openness and candour; passion and kindness.
We are a small band of experts. This inspires our purpose as we focus on delivering solutions for real-world health problems. We are open, creative and collaborative, and we believe that products, whether used in Sudan or San Francisco, should be intuitive and beautiful.
If this is a mission and a company you can stand behind, keep reading!
As Lead Product Designer you will run design at Elephant, working closely with Product, Operations, and Engineering to deeply understand user and customer needs and create useful, delightful, and innovative products. This will initially be a more hands-on role – we’d prefer you to be willing to and travel to our markets to manage user research and prototyping sessions, too. But as we grow we expect you to create the systems and processes needed for a user-centered culture and design team.
This is a full-time position based in London. Elephant works remotely, but we usually meet up in person 1-2x per week. These days are flexible and not mandatory.
Our primary users are healthcare workers in primary care clinics and hospitals in (today) Africa and South Asia. Our product, ElephantOS, helps them provide higher quality care and manage their facilities more effectively, while also providing unprecedented visibility into health needs and operations for public health decision makers. Today, we sell ElephantOS to state, county, and federal governments in our markets, focusing on public, not private, health systems.
Take a deeper look at our product here. www.elephant.healthcare
We see this role as more skewed towards user research, service design and product design – not as much visual/ UI design. We have visual design resources who can help so you can focus more on understanding needs versus pushing pixels.
In the first 6-12 months, this role will be much more hands on. You will design and execute user and customer research, manage workshops with internal and external stakeholders to converge on impactful solutions, and create delightful experiences using your service and product design expertise. You’ll explore complex but fascinating challenges like enabling fully offline but connected clinics or providing secure access to shared health records.
After the first 6-12 months, we’d love for you to be someone who can build our design function, hiring and nurturing an incredible team. However if you prefer to progress as an individual contributor we can facilitate building the team and leadership around you.
Skills, attributes and experience
We’re looking for a passionate, good humoured and technically skilled design leader.
Ideally, you will have:
- >5 years experience working in a product and/or service design role
- Expertise in strategising and executing user research
- Expertise with different design methodologies
- Expertise collaborating closely with engineering teams, compromising where necessary but also defending our users with conviction
- Excellent personal communication skills (listening, verbal and written)
- Excellent critical analysis skills, dealing with ambiguity and presenting and communicating complex ideas with clarity to a wide variety of stakeholders both internal and external;
- Critical decision-making ability with the ability to evaluate compromises with the team;
- Experience with using data and metrics to drive prioritisation
- A bias for action, and delivering results
- A natural propensity for enthusiasm, positivity, curiosity, innovation, acting with care for others, speaking with clarity and candour
Even better if you have
- Experience working in Africa and/or South Asia
Our benefits include:
- We aim to provide all members of our team with flexibility. We have a remote first policy, with access to office space in central London for collaborating with team members.
- Online mental health support through partnership with Self Space.
- Investment in personal growth: if there’s a course, book or conference you want to attend, let your manager know, and we’ll do our best to cover the cost.
- Employee pension scheme with Aviva (including salary sacrifice)
- 25 days holidays + public holidays.
- Opportunities to travel to meet our customers around the world.
We take progression seriously at Elephant; with strong performance, your salary and benefits will grow with the company.
We have four guiding beliefs that translate into everything we do:
Be kind, candid, good humoured & respectful
Relentlessly pursue our mission
Make clear decisions, with data & intuition
Align, take chances & learn
Every day we live up to our company values, and hold each other accountable to lead by example.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Elephant, we know that there is strength in diversity. We know that a diverse workforce increases productivity, mitigates risk and encourages innovation. We are a small team but our growth strategy is centred on finding the right person for the right role - attitude and aptitude. That person will be selected regardless of age, socio-economic status, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation or sexual preference.
We are inclusive, always. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind based on race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by equality laws in the places where we operate.
One of our core values is to be kind, and we expect all Elephant staff to live up to that mantra, daily.