The world's largest asset class, debt, operates with the worst data.
Technology has revolutionized equity markets with electronic trading, quant algos and instantaneous news. However, in debt capital markets, the picture is completely different. It still behaves like it’s in the 1980s; trillions of dollars of trades are placed over the phone, news is slow, and corporate credit information is imperfect and scattered.
Our mission is to change this.
9fin's proprietary technology delivers fast and comprehensive financial, credit, legal & ESG analysis. Our clients are able to make faster, more informed decisions, win more business and most importantly, save time.
Our fast growing list of clients include 9 of the top 10 Investment Banks, leading Asset Managers, Hedge Funds and Law Firms.
9fin’s team of financial journalists is looking for the newest member of the team, a hungry reporter who’s keen to learn the trade of reporting on fast-moving, opaque and complex financial markets. You’ll be expected to hit the ground running, building out your own source base and delivering market-moving insight and scoops. But you’ll also be given full support and training in navigating the specialist financial landscape, developing your newsgathering, writing and interviewing skills, and understanding the markets 9fin covers.
Every day is different, but here’s an example of the kind of things you’ll work on:
- Source-building with bankers, investors, traders, lawyers and other key players in the credit markets
- Writing on and off-diary content covering markets
- Working with other members of our team of eight London-based journalists to confirm information and produce collaborative content
- Attending conferences, court hearings, briefings, evening events and other occasions to build and maintain source relationships
- Receiving formal and informal training in interviewing, source-building, news writing, media law and financial markets
This role will be a great fit if you:
- Have a proven interest in journalism, plus some experience of writing for publication
- Wish to join a rapidly-growing platform winning market share and attracting high quality readership from financial professionals
- Proven interest in finance, economics and markets and understanding of basic concepts and terminology
- Can work independently, with high accuracy and attention to detail
- Have a desire to build strong sourcing relationships across finance professionals and embed deeply as a crucial part of the market
- Can write concise and fluent English which can make technical topics accessible and engaging
- Have ambitions to carve out a coverage area and build your own reputation as a financial journalist
We’re a scaling start up and we enjoy sharing our success, when the company succeeds, we always reinvest that in our people. We also offer huge amounts of responsibility, an abundance of opportunity for growth and a platform to truly excel.
Financial & Insurance
- Competitive Salary(our salary bands are benchmarked at the top end of the market)
- Equity options
- Pension (your minimum contributions are 4% with 9fin matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- Paid sick leave with Income Protection for long periods of illness
- Group Life Assurance
- Season Ticket Loan & Cycle to Work schemes
- 25 holiday days per year
- Local public holidays (with the ability to exchange them for alternative days)
- Hybrid working model, to allow you the flexibility to decide how, where and when you do your best work
- Work abroad for up to 3 months a year
- 1 month paid sabbatical after 5 years of service
- Enhanced parental leave & flexible working arrangements available
Training & Culture
- Professional learning and development budget
- Quarterly team socials
- Summer and Winter company social events
A note from the hiring manager
“Finance journalism is, for me, a chance to uncover some of the hidden plumbing that makes the world around us function. Some of the biggest stories of the last decade or more have been primarily financial — the global financial crisis, the bank bailouts, the sovereign crisis, the mini-Budget, the cost of living crisis and much more. You’ll have a ringside seat for whatever unfolds in the coming decade. Markets are networks of information, and a skilled financial journalist should be a critical node in these networks, not just a bystander. The backdrop is constantly changing, and you will learn and be challenged throughout your career. Unlike many entry-level journo jobs, this will not be a copy mill; you’ll be expected to target high value, original scoops not churn press releases.”
9fin is an equal opportunities employer
Don’t meet every single requirement? At 9fin we are dedicated to building and promoting a fair and inclusive workplace where everyone can flourish, reach their full potential and truly belong. We recognise diverse teams allow a more creative and productive environment. So, if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t perfectly align with the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You might just be who we’re looking for - for this role, or perhaps another.