If you’ve coded a full-stack, production project through its whole lifecycle, or implemented a cloud computing solution at scale, that’s the sort of experiential knowledge you’ll need as Senior Editor, Software Engineering, to provide constructive criticism and detailed edits on programming-related articles. Communication is central to this role, which leverages your skills as an editor and a writer and your background in software development.
In this role, you will contribute to the creation of high-quality content for the Toptal Engineering Blog and related resources. You will help us continue to grow as a world-class English-language publication for top software development experts. Reporting to the Managing Editor, Technical Content, in Toptal’s Content Marketing department, you will work closely with Toptal’s global network of world-class developers to write and enhance in-depth, thought-leading articles on the most important trends in computer science.
You will be responsible for maintaining an extremely high standard for all articles, with a particular focus on resources written for hiring managers, as well as advanced programming tutorials written for software engineers. Stellar writing abilities, ambition, a collaborative spirit, and drive are requirements for this position.
This is a remote position. We do not offer visa sponsorship or assistance. Applicants must be authorized to work in the US at the time of hire. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Work with Toptal network talent to write, edit, and publish high-quality, cutting-edge articles to address key business goals, priority themes, and audience needs.
- Translate complex engineering jargon and topics into readable and understandable ideas that have a clear business purpose as well as insightful technical takeaways.
- Debug, research, and learn as needed to support authors effectively as an editor.
- Follow the editorial processes of the Toptal Engineering Blog and wider Toptal Content Marketing team to develop, publish, and distribute content in a timely manner.
- Provide editorial assistance from a strategic, high-level view down to the grammatical nitty-gritty, and everything in between, transforming key ideas into clear, concise prose as needed.
- Coordinate with related teams to ensure consistent, on-brand delivery of content and all related components and assets, including text, metadata, and images.
- Perform critical subject-matter reviews for engineering-related content developed by other teams.
- Stay on the cutting edge of industry trends by reviewing articles published by competitors and media outlets in the space.
In the first week, expect to:
- Learn about Toptal’s Engineering offerings and get a sense of their voice.
- Onboard to the Content Marketing team by meeting with fellow editors and writers and learning about what they do.
- Learn the publishing process and associated tools.
In the first month, expect to:
- Become familiar with what an A+ Toptal Engineering article looks like, and develop personal habits and processes to ensure that all pieces to be published will achieve this standard.
- Assist writers of various skill levels in all aspects of writing while maintaining a professional and helpful communication style.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Work with top engineering experts from around the world to prepare in-depth articles on the most important concepts and trends in engineering, showcasing their expertise through educational articles (practical, theoretical, and/or conceptual).
- Publish and distribute completed articles, then monitor and facilitate responses to audience feedback.
- Collaborate with peers on the Content Marketing team to contribute ideas for process improvement as needed.
- Collaborate on a conceptual level with colleagues on the Illustrations team to ensure relevant, correct, and descriptive imagery accompanies technical content where applicable.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Keep collaborators engaged while you continue to balance multiple simultaneous editing assignments.
- Help demonstrate the expertise and knowledge of Toptal’s world-class talent network and Toptal as a whole.
- Demonstrate the value of joining Toptal’s talent network to those with in-demand skills and expertise.
In the first year, expect to:
- Work to improve the quality and impact of the publication via partnerships and assets across Toptal (PR, events, community, etc.).
- Continually raise the bar and contribute new ideas for elevating the expertise of Toptal’s network talent.
- Act on feedback to help ensure writers enjoy working with Toptal Content Marketing and are proud of the end result.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science (or related field(s), e.g. mathematics) or demonstrable industry experience equivalent is strongly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Hands-on software engineering experience and knowledge of recent best practices, with especially strong debugging skills and an understanding of foundational software concepts.
- Continuous learning mindset and the ability to quickly pick up and apply new software concepts, languages, and skills via research and experimentation.
- Demonstrated writing and editing experience, with a dedicated focus on development and tech topics.
- Ability to understand and analyze complex concepts, and to explain them in clear, concise, and engaging language.
- Strong knowledge of important events and trends across multiple industries at the top of the engineering/development world.
- Unparalleled attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure when needed, managing tight deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- An exceptional eye for quality and a relentless drive to improve anything that falls below your standards or Toptal’s standards.
- Self-starter who is comfortable using common web-based tools and learning new ones as needed.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
The US-based salary range for this full-time position is $100,000- $140,000 per year. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
Please note that the US-based salary range does not include the value of Toptal’s benefit offerings. In the US, Toptal’s benefit offerings include participation in a 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching contributions; medical, dental, and vision insurance plans in which Toptal pays 100% of the premiums for an employee’s coverage; basic life insurance coverage; short-term and long-term disability coverage; flexible spending accounts, including dependent care and health savings accounts, access to telehealth virtual doctors, an employee assistance program, and flexible paid time off.