At FutureLearn, we’re passionate about the power of lifelong learning. We help learners from all over the world progress in their careers – and invest in their futures.
We truly believe that up-skilling is a worthy investment, and we hope to empower our learners to take control of their careers through personalised learning pathways – giving them progress at their fingertips.
Partnering with 260+ world-class educational partners, including prestigious universities, global brands and industry partners, we offer our 18 million-strong learner community the opportunity to discover and access flexible, high-quality online courses and degrees.
We’re not here just to teach new skills (although we do that well), we want to help transform lives. FutureLearn is looking for to build our teams with people who share our passion for lifelong learning, career empowerment and education for all. If that sounds like you, get in touch. You could help us achieve our biggest goal yet – becoming the world’s best AI-powered, career-based learning platform and OPM.
What is the opportunity?
As Director of Marketplace, you will own the execution of and drive the strategy on content course portfolio, pricing and marketplace performance and growth. This position will own a critical piece of the business, and drive ongoing success in building FutureLearn’s learner base and content offering.
You must possess strong analytical acumen and be comfortable generating and evaluating various forecasts, metrics, and analyses. You must be curious, a self starter, and be adept at problem-solving and managing multiple priorities effectively and efficiently. Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) are critical.
You will lead and develop the content team who identify content needs for the marketplace, the performance of the content, and support partners in the creation of quality content. Key aspects of the role include:
- Developing an analytical framework and sound understanding of product gaps, customer needs and identify new prospective sellers
- Ensuring that the platform hosts an optimised assortment strategy that maximises sales and margin at a product, category, country level through channel specific plans.
- Partnering with Partnership/BD teams to get and retain the desired content onto the Marketplace.
- Partnering with the Marketing team on the Marketplace-related marketing plans.
- Partnering with the Product, Tech & Data teams on the overall Marketplace platform priorities and development in order to meet annual business targets.
What does success look like:
- Develop category management and product strategy, allowing for market specialisation to optimise marketplace penetration, maximise “take home” / net profit
- Work closely with leadership on planning and business strategy, drive best-in-class learner and partner experience and maximise unit and revenue growth through timely analysis and action.
- An obsession with the support and collaborative success of the Marketplace, sales and operation to best serve our learners, content partners and industry / government customers
- Develop and manage new programs and capabilities to drive value for FutureLEarn’s customers
- Drive seasonal marketing plan process, to manage in season trading activity in conjunction with the marketing and merchandise planning teams
- Drive asset requirements, marketing needs to support the range of brand, category, product, editorial need
- Ensure appropriate level of analytics are created, reviewed and reported that inform decision making around assortment building, country requirements and sales improvement
- Review processes and practices continually within function- sharing best practice with other functions and applying learning to generate improvement
- Partner in problem solving with our supplier network and partners to remove any barriers to growing business sales and relevant product selection.
What you will bring to the table:
- 8+ years of experience in marketplace category management with at least 2+ as a Director or above
- Startup experience is essential
- Ownership of category strategy and implementation of portfolio strategy
- Experience building and/or managing a marketplace, inclusive of having a strong understanding of consumer and product.
- Strong stakeholder management skills, influencing and managing complex relationships
- Ability to analyse situations and make difficult informed decisions
- A proven track record in the management of significant business change
- Knowledge of analytics and systems to support appropriate planning of product requirements, as well as Sales cycle management and processes
- Understanding of consumer and product segmentation
- Practical understanding of financial, marketing functions.
- Project management skills
What will we offer you?
- 28 days of Annual Leave plus UK Public Holidays
- Roll over up to 5 days Holiday
- Access to FutureLearn courses
- Westfield Health Cash Plan
- Personal ‘recharge’ days
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- Charity work – 1 day dedicated to a charity of your choice
- Calm Premium Subscription
What happens next?
Ready to go for it? Click 'Apply', include your CV and a cover letter telling us why you'd like to become a FutureLearner, and how you’ll nail this role.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made to support you through the recruitment process.
We value all the great benefits that diversity brings and encourage everyone to bring their whole self to work – At FutureLearn we are proud to have Diversity and Inclusion at the centre of everything we do. We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity regardless of race, colour, national origin, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.
We can't wait to meet you! #FutureLearnCareers