This job is being posted on behalf of Subak by Open Climate Fix. You will work with both Subak and Open Climate Fix, as well as the rest of the Subak Ecosystem in this role.
Subak is looking for a passionate Senior Community Manager who will serve as the liaison between our group of member climate start-ups and their growing climate tech audiences. They are looking to link the narratives of open data and code to the groundswell of personal and business interest in addressing climate change. We believe that through building a thriving community, our organisations’ crucial work will grow faster through the input of many, and the impact will be accelerated through faster adoption.
Subak's member organisations are linked by a shared interest in climate, data, and in many cases, AI and open source, to accelerate action. These are powerful narratives, and we are looking for someone curious about and excited by the power of these emerging forces and how they can be democratised and harnessed for good. Building a thriving community is one of the most valuable assets for a company, and your work has the potential to make a real difference to the climate challenge.
You will be engaged to increase the size of the community and the engagement of the community over time. Working for Subak, your commitments will be shared across up to three projects at any given time with different non-profit organisations of the Subak collective. You will be supported by individuals in the organisations but also will have the opportunity to grow a team if successful.
Community Development and Engagement:
- Develop engagement strategies to build a community of users and open-source contributors to the climate data products in the cohort.
- Foster a sense of community among climate-data professionals, researchers, and other community members to actively participate in climate-related data initiatives.
Community Event Management:
- Organise and host virtual or in-person events, such as webinars, conferences, workshops, and panel discussions, focused on data and AI for climate.
- Collaborate with speakers, experts, and partners to plan and execute informative and engaging events.
- Promote events within the community and manage registration, logistics, and follow-up.
Content Creation and Sharing:
- Work with the organisations’ content creators to tailor content for the community audience.
- Highlight gaps and opportunities in the cohort organisations' content landscape.
Communication and Outreach:
- Work with the cohort organisations to develop a consistent liaison point between the organisations and community members.
- Work with cohort organisations to disseminate important updates, research findings, and opportunities related to data and AI for climate.
- Actively seek feedback from the community to inform data and AI for climate initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 4+ years of experience in community strategy development and management, ideally within a technology or environmental organisation.
- A passion and curiosity for learning new topics and communicating to build a community.
- Proven experience in managing and growing in-person or online communities, forums, or social media groups.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organise, and execute virtual and in-person events, such as webinars, workshops, or conferences.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to effectively convey complex concepts to a diverse audience.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as communications, marketing, journalism; or equivalent work experiences highlighting your communications skills.
- Familiarity with climate change issues and how data is used in organisations to enact change is beneficial.
- Knowledge of artificial intelligence (AI) concepts is beneficial
- Proven ability to establish and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, experts, and partners in the data, AI and climate space.
- Expertise in digital, SEO, social media, and building contributor networks
- Basic salary: £45,000 - £55,000 per annum
- Annual leave: 25 days per year pro rata (excluding bank holidays) + 2 weeks additional holidays over the Christmas period
- Additional benefits: Working from home set-up allowance, expensed up to £500.00
- Hybrid working (in-office and remote)
- A friendly and supportive team of colleagues
Who we are
Subak is a collective of climate data-driven, high-impact not-for-profit startups. We work across various areas of energy and climate transitions. The members of the collective you will be working with are:
- Open Climate Fix
- Ember Climate
- Transition Zero
- Climate Policy Radar and
- New Automotive
, with the potential to expand to include more Subak organisations.
This is an opportunity for a diverse, high-impact role with mission-driven, ambitious, and extremely lovely teams. We all champion an open science approach that aims to promote collaboration, transparency and justice.
Studies show that applicants from diverse and historically underrepresented backgrounds are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet all of the hiring guidelines or qualifications. We are looking for people who are genuinely passionate about developing climate solutions and actively encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply. If you feel like you have potential to do well in this role and your values align with our mission, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate for the job.