at The App Business in London
We are looking for an important new addition to join our diverse and multi-talented App Services Team. A Ruby developer with a polyglot mindset and a strong commitment to quality, you will have the ability to tackle complex architectural and design challenges across Ruby applications. You will also have the enthusiasm to learn other server-side technologies and languages, too.
There will be the opportunity to work on projects making use of everything from Scala to .NET, so adaptability and an open mind are key. An active involvement in communities and a strong interest in new technology trends are also vital: we always strive to use the best technology to resolve particular needs, so breadth of knowledge of what’s current and on the horizon is essential.
We work in a fast-paced, Agile environment, delivering sophisticated software that is critical to the operations of our clients. This requires a mature attitude to risk, and a belief that testing and code quality are a collective responsibility, fundamental to delivery.
Our Ruby developers work as part of cross-functional teams, working closely with our clients to deliver best-in-class mobile applications. This requires excellent communication skills and the flexibility to work across the stack on everything from API design to data integration and performance optimisation.
About our App Services Team
The App Services Team is a mix of highly skilled polyglot developers who tackle any challenge thrown their way. They are our in-house masters of Scala, Java, Ruby, C# and numerous other languages between them. The go-to experts in everything API, service, data, architecture, messaging and processing-based, the App Services Team is a critical group within The App Business, integral to the technical excellence of our products.
To learn more about us, visit our website
YOU WILL BE
- A technical expert in designing and developing high-quality and scalable APIs and back-end services.
- A polyglot developer who loves to embrace other frameworks, languages and platforms, as and when business problems require.
- Working closely with clients and key stakeholders, to ensure requirements are met.
- Solving complex programming problems in a clean and testable way.
- Keen to express and share ideas to help improve the development process.
- Learning and collaborating in cross-functional teams with iOS and Android developers, QA, product owners and scrum masters.
- Happy to work across the technical stack, contributing to infrastructure, application and database development.
YOU MUST HAVE
- 3+ years commercial development experience.
- A keen interest in mobile development and technology trends.
- Excellent knowledge of Ruby development with and without Rails, including design patterns that keep code reusable and maintainable in larger apps.
- Demonstrable habitual use of TDD and BDD techniques.
- A passion for software development, perhaps demonstrated through personal projects or participation in tech communities.
- Some experience of infrastructure development, such as configuration of servers, caches and queues.
- Good understanding of continuous deployment, and tools for version control, CI, and scripted deployments.
- Working knowledge of database and query optimisation for performance.
- Experience working in an Agile team, and a good level of understanding of the * * * Agile values and principles.
IT’S NICE IF YOU HAVE
- 2:1 or above in a Computer Science, Information Systems or related technical degree.
- Additional experience using any of C#, Java, or Objective-C.
- Experience developing solutions optimised for mobile-based usage and consumption.
- Experience working in effective, large-scale Agile development projects.
- Good understanding of requirements analysis, using techniques like Specification By Example.
- Contributions to open source projects.
Recent jobs at The App Business
- Resource/Traffic Coordinator at The App Business in London 06-05-2015
- BD/Marketing Intern at The App Business , Anywhere 01-04-2015
- Bid manager at The App Business in London 27-03-2015
- .NET C# Developer at The App Business in London 25-03-2015
- Java Developer at The App Business , Anywhere 25-03-2015
- Ruby Developer at The App Business in London 25-03-2015
- Solutions Architect at The App Business , Anywhere 25-03-2015
- Automation Test Engineer at The App Business in London 25-03-2015
- Product Owner at The App Business in London 25-03-2015
- Test Engineer at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Automation Test Engineer at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- iOS Engineer at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Android Engineer at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Solution Architect/Architecture Owner at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Scrum Master at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Senior Product Designer at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Product Owner at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Support Engineer at The App Business in London 16-09-2014
- Product Owner at The App Business in London 08-09-2014
- Scrum Master at The App Business in London 24-07-2014
- Solutions Architect at The App Business in London 24-07-2014
- Ruby Developer/Engineer at The App Business in London 24-07-2014
- iOS Engineer/Developer at The App Business in London 24-07-2014
- Test Engineer at The App Business in London 23-07-2014