at The App Business (Anywhere)
Join TAB’s App Services Team and help us expand our enterprise partnerships by developing high performance, mobile optimised APIs, integrations and data intelligence. We’re looking for someone who can handle:
• Java 8 / Scala with a bleeding edge open source mentality • High quality, test driven software using JUnit and Jenkins • Large scale and high profile enterprise projects (both existing and greenfield) • Big data research (Hadoop, Storm, Kafka, Cassandra, Neo4j, NoSQL) • Microservices architecture (DropWizard, Jetty, Jersey, various open source tooling and languages) • Angularjs and modern front end tooling • AWS / Azure / Docker / Chef devops automation
We are looking for an important new addition to join our diverse and multi-talented App Services Team. A passionate Java developer with a polyglot mindset and a strong commitment to quality, you will have the ability to tackle complex architectural and design challenges across Java applications. You will also have the enthusiasm to learn other server-side technologies and languages, too. You should be a software craftsman, not just a coder.
There will be the opportunity to work on projects making use of everything from Ruby to .NET, so adaptability and an open-mind are key. An active involvement in communities and a strong interest in new technology trends are also vital: we always strive to use the best technology for the job at hand, so breadth of knowledge of what is both current and on the horizon is essential.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
• Solve complex programming problems in a clean and testable way.
• Contribute to continuous improvement of Java development practices and standards.
• Maintain a keen interest in Scala/Ruby/.NET web development trends.
• Evaluate how different technologies, frameworks and languages can be used in order to deliver the best possible solution for both TAB and our clients.
Cross-functional development • Learn and collaborate in cross-functional teams with iOS and Android developers, QA, product owners and scrum masters. • Work closely with clients and key stakeholders to ensure requirements are met. • Work across the technical stack, contributing to infrastructure, application and database development. • Collaborate with both internal and external teams to document and evolve APIs, using language agnostic tools/frameworks (such as Swagger).
Design expertise • Demonstrate expertise in designing and developing high-quality and scalable APIs and back-end services. • Understand approaches to API security, caching, versioning and interoperability, ensuring all aspects of design have been considered.
THE APP SERVICES TEAM
The App Services Team is a mix of highly skilled polyglot developers who tackle any challenge thrown their way. They are our in-house masters of Scala, Java, Ruby, C# and numerous other languages between them. The go-to experts in everything API, service, data, architecture, messaging and processing-based, the App Services Team is a critical group within The App Business, integral to the technical excellence of our products.
Our Java developers work as part of cross-functional teams, working closely with our clients to deliver best-in-class mobile applications. This requires excellent communication skills and the flexibility to work across the stack on everything from API design to data integration and performance optimisation.
We work in a fast-paced, Agile environment, delivering sophisticated software that is critical to the operations of our clients. This requires a mature attitude to risk, and a belief that testing and code quality are a collective responsibility, fundamental to delivery.
“SELL IT TO ME”
It’s all very well us listing everything we want you to do, but how about we give some examples of current projects we’re working on (we can’t give away too much information, you’ll have to apply to find out more!). Below are two of the most recent ones.
Transport Experiments We pride ourselves not on just keeping up with technology and best practices, but pioneering them.
One of the areas we are currently exploring is the multitude of ways in which technology can transform the way we travel. By running a range of experiments which capture user, device and transport information, enabling interactions with physical hardware, we aim to redefine the travel experience. In order to achieve this we need to rethink what is possible with technology and how it can be done at scale.
Prediction and Analytics Project We’re designing a solution which performs realtime data analytics over a distributed cluster of nodes. The objective of the project is to analyse a stream of realtime data and predict the optimal outcome for the target. Distributed message queues and a lot of bleeding edge open source projects will play a part.
What sort of technology are we using? A few highlights include: • Microservices architecture • Message queuing (job scheduling, message bus, RabbitMQ, Apache Kafka etc) • Azure and AWS cloud hosting (some of our projects have well over 50+ servers running in production) • Best practice REST API (design & implementation) • Devops automation (Chef/Powershell) • Containers (Docker) • RDBMS and NoSQL (SQL Server, T-SQL, MySQL, Postgres, Redis, MongoDB etc) • Test automation (specflow, nunit, TeamCity, Jenkins etc)
YOU MUST HAVE:
• A polyglot developer mindset and an openness to working with other languages in the future (such as Ruby or .NET). • Excellent knowledge of Java development including design patterns that keep code reusable and maintainable in larger apps. • Demonstrable habitual use of TDD and BDD techniques. • Experience working in an Agile team, and a good level of understanding of the Agile values and principles. • A passion for software development, perhaps demonstrated through personal projects or participation in tech communities. • A keen interest in mobile development and technology trends. • Some experience of infrastructure development, such as configuration of servers, caches and queues. • A good understanding of continuous delivery, and tools for version control, CI, and automated deployments. • Working knowledge of database and query optimisation for performance.
IT’S NICE IF YOU HAVE:
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Our interview process consists of two to three rounds, often starting with an initial telephone interview. If successful, we will invite you to meet with us face to face, where you will demonstrate your thinking ability as well as your skills and experiences. So if The App Business sounds like the sort of unique challenge that matches your ambitions, please get in touch.
The App Business (TAB) is an award-winning, full service, specialist mobile software company that grew out of three inspirational years working with Steve Jobs. Helping to launch the iPhone, App Store and hundreds of apps convinced us that software is eating the world and that people are now turning to ‘apps’ to navigate their daily lives. With this in mind, we built The App Business from the ground up to help businesses meet the challenges and opportunities in our emerging ‘programmable world.’
We work with enterprises to help them create business-transforming software experiences, across smartphones, tablets, desktop, social media, even TVs – wherever the audience is. Our approach is ‘audience-led, technology-informed’, meaning we blend in-house app strategists and interaction designers with specialist software engineers to craft ideas and technology that actually works.
We’re a unique company that is changing the way enterprises develop ideas and engage audiences. Working with us, you’ll be exposed to a highly successful and entrepreneurial digital technology business.
We want people to develop at The App Business more fully than at any other point in their career. We take on big, testing challenges, provide all the support that people need to conquer them and give everybody an opportunity to shape the future of our ambitious company.
Our working culture is modelled on our experience with Apple. Ultimately open, friendly and relaxed, we’re committed to ensuring it’s easy for everybody to communicate, to share ideas and find solutions. This positive culture is created by our shared ambitions, passion and commitment to hard work.
• Holiday allowance of 22 days and an incremental day for every full year worked (up to 30 days). • Extended Christmas holidays (that won’t count as holiday allowance). • Healthcare cash plan. • Cycle to work scheme. • £250 per annum tech/gym grant. • Training and development. • Free daily breakfast/fruit/refreshments/Red Bull • Free drinks on Friday. • Team lunch every last Friday. • TAB social events including Summer party and Christmas party.
Recent jobs at The App Business
- Resource/Traffic Coordinator at The App Business in London 06-05-2015
- BD/Marketing Intern at The App Business , Anywhere 01-04-2015
- Bid manager at The App Business in London 27-03-2015
- .NET C# Developer at The App Business in London 25-03-2015
- Ruby Developer at The App Business in London 25-03-2015
- Solutions Architect at The App Business , Anywhere 25-03-2015
- Automation Test Engineer at The App Business in London 25-03-2015
- Product Owner at The App Business in London 25-03-2015
- Test Engineer at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Automation Test Engineer at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- iOS Engineer at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Android Engineer at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Ruby Engineer/Developer at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Solution Architect/Architecture Owner at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Scrum Master at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Senior Product Designer at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Product Owner at The App Business in London 12-02-2015
- Support Engineer at The App Business in London 16-09-2014
- Product Owner at The App Business in London 08-09-2014
- Scrum Master at The App Business in London 24-07-2014
- Solutions Architect at The App Business in London 24-07-2014
- Ruby Developer/Engineer at The App Business in London 24-07-2014
- iOS Engineer/Developer at The App Business in London 24-07-2014
- Test Engineer at The App Business in London 23-07-2014